TN: 1996 Bethel Heights Pinot Noir Southeast Block Reserve

• 1996 Bethel Heights Pinot Noir Southeast Block Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (8/25/2018)
    Fragile cork which fortunately came out in one piece. Ruby hue. Musky, deep-set nose of plum pits, damp cellar, and low volume hothouse flowers. Slowly developing but persistent layers of pure black cherry, black raspberry, and plum fruit cut with rock and fine earth. Bright acidity and still firm tannins to lend some bite. Moderately long, nuanced finish of raspberry, soil, and slow grip. Very much alive with the potential to evolve a bit further. What a pleasure. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I posted a note back in '12 on the '94 Bethel Heights WV PN my wife got from a co-worker with ties to the BH winery. At the time, I was predominately drinking Rhone wine from France, Ca and WA. That one bottle changed my trajectory to predominately drinking OR PN, though I still stray a bit. The Eola Hills are becoming my favored AVA with the coastal breezes from the Van Duzer Corridor. [cheers.gif]

Dennis

Nice description. I have sampled more from OR lately and have been impressed by many producers including this one. Always nice to find a bottle which is aging gracefully.

Cheers,
Doug