Copain - End of an Era

It’s official, Wells is no longer the winemaker. https://www.copainwines.com/story/winemaker
Not sure yet how I feel about this other than change is the only constant and although I’m certainly sad I’m happy for Wells as I know he will continue to blaze his own path and I look forward to following him on his journey. I’m also excited for Ryan as it is a fabulous opportunity for him and well deserved. I’m still torn though as Copain will always be about Wells in my mind. That’s just me and I’m sure Ryan will do a great job of putting his own mark on the Copain portfolio as he will have a wealth of vineyards to work with. Wish them both the best in their new endeavors.

I am afan of Ryan and wish him the best

While it may be the end of the Well’s era at Copain, don’t sell Ryan short!.
He’s a damned skilled winemaker (and a good guy).

Like you, I will follow Mr Gs new venture when that comes to pass…

TTT

Paul, I’m not selling anybody short.

We had a Zepaltas Heintz chard last weekend and it was really nice.

This makes me more interested in Copain. I’ve had some very memorable Zepaltas pinot noir and chardonnay.

I started working with Ryan last harvest, and I find him to be professional and practical at the same time. Best of luck to him in this endeavor.

Congrats to Ryan Z!

Hey Everybody,
I am beyond excited at my new post, and we are underway with my first vintage. We picked Brosseau Chardonnay the other day and the juice is now buzzing in barrel.

I assure you that you can expect the same style and quality from Copain moving forward. I have been a longtime fan of Copain and the style is exactly in my zone. The only changes I foresee are little tweaks that I incorporate every year as a effort to improve my craft and wine quality. The wines are already top notch, but you have to be chasing perfection, or you are not doing your job. I have been handed the keys and given all the tools to be successful so here we go! We will, as usual, focus heavily on Anderson Valley and Yorkville Highlands, but expect to see some exploration of the Sonoma Coast.

Please come taste with me next time you are in town.

RZ

A once board darling that many of us visited back in the day. There were great views from the tasting room.

Congrats RZ.

Nice for Ryan to chime in. I have been a long time list member and I have fond memories when Wells would make the trip out to Chicagoland. Unfortunately I have yet to make it out to the winery. Someday perhaps.

Cheers,
JP

Best of luck to you, Ryan.

Toss some of that stuff online for Berserker Day! I was on the Copain list but dropped around the time of the buyout. Popped a mature Halcon recently that was quite fine.

The views are second to none and anyone who takes a trip to Sonoma should absolutely plan to visit as the experience is world class.

I must say, with all the acquisitions Jackson Family has made, it doesn’t appear they envision on flipping the “style” of the wineries they’re purchasing - into a more homogeneous fleet with their other labels. I give them a lot of credit. Many of the wines they represent aren’t my cup of tea, but everyone seems to really love working with and doing deals with that outfit. Happy to see the style at Copain won’t be a drastic change.

totally agree
We’ve been on the list (club) for many years.

IIRC, my wife and I met Ryan at Siduri about 6 years ago and he was the one who tipped us off to the secret winery that my wife won’t let me mention here because then we might not be able to buy their wine. Seemed like a very nice guy.

Still enjoying his Zeps. Nice to see a young person from America’s Dairyland following his dream to make great California wines!

Kind of a coincidence but I got a visit from Ryan today. He introduced my new grower rep. We did a quick walk of their Chard block and so far so good. He’s a straight shooter and I feel thing will go smoothly.