TNs on a Motley Crew: Jerome Prevost, Casal Figueira, Scholium, Huet, Clos Rougeard

Out with some of the crew for oysters and sushi last night.
Klafter has given me the job of recorder of events now, so here are some thoughts on an eclectic mix.

• 2015 Jérôme Prévost Champagne La Closerie Extra Brut Les Beguines - France, Champagne (8/23/2018)
    I dig these Prevost wines. This one, perhaps obviously, showed a bit more youthful than the '14 back in may. Tiny bubbles. Weightless on the palate. Yeasty and touches of almonds. The PM brings a rounded sweetness in the middle that is almost tropical. Very, very fine now with room to improve.
    • 2006 Casal Figueira Vinho Regional Lisboa Tradition - Portugal, Lisboa, Vinho Regional Lisboa (8/23/2018)
      This was great. A nice discovery of Brad K recent trip to Portugal. Reminded me an LdH white after a dozen years. Slightly oxidative, nutty, almond flavors. Feels like a pedigree wine. Still youthful, or at least not showing any old bones. Acidity to keep it lively. Seemed to unravel and expand a bit with time. Good showing. A wine made to savor with a good meal.
    • 2002 Domaine Huet Vouvray Demi-Sec Clos du Bourg - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (8/23/2018)
      Really fine bottle. Deep, gold-ish color. Balanced, lively acidity. Packed with baked apple and honey notes, but not at all overdone. Nice and oily on the palate. Great texture. Really nice balance and energy. Drinking well, no signs of slowing down.
    • 2009 Scholium Project Glos McDowell - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (8/23/2018)
      Interesting wine. And I guess a bit of rarity…However, maybe a bit too much for my tastes. Rich, honey and tropical fruit a tad hot on the finish. Full-fruited, and heavier on the palate. I can see its appeal. It just wasn’t great for me and paled to the other bottles on the table.
    • 2007 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur-Champigny Le Bourg - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny (8/23/2018)
      Of the recent notes here, I would agree with BurgNick’s assessment a few check-ins below. It felt a little but clunkier and greener than I come to expect in Rougeard. Could be youth, but it didn’t feel shut down. Just lacked something. It was weightier than I remember. Heavier on the palate. It was good, don’t get me wrong, just not Rougeard-good. Both the '05 and '09 showed better in recent months. This came late in the night and perhaps wasn’t given its full due.
      Posted from CellarTracker

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm03fbCBQ__/

Great notes, Dennis, thank you for being the designated secretary. The Casal Figueira by the way was not even quite up to the other two bottles I’ve had - I think a bit more air and warming up would have benefitted it.

Dennis,
I have some 15 Prevost tucked away, how long do you think they need in the cellar?
Cheers
Marcus

Thanks. More a collection of all our musings, but I’ll take the credit since Rob made me secretary.

Marcus,
It’s probably a matter of taste and preferences. I have a couple more of these and I don’t know that I’ll wait any real length of time. I’ve never had a Prevost wine with age. I could see this one aging, but I don’t know that it needs it. If you have a couple or more, no harm getting a data point now. We thoroughly enjoyed it last night. Cheers.

thanks Dennis.
you have a skill to do this.
as always the company was the best of the night

these were studies in oxidation. appropriate, subtle, nuanced oxidative notes in the Casal and Glos.

also studies in collecting. gonna have some dead ends but some spectacular wins. Huet just starting to evolve. Lanolin, honey, marzipan. Taut but sweet wine. Nice future. I hear you on the Rougeard but so supple and silky. not kinky complex but very satisfying