Cayuse is Live

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
mmoyer

Cayuse is Live

#1 Post by mmoyer » August 22nd, 2018, 1:43 pm

Have to recognize how reasonable the folks at Cayuse have been on pricing over the years. I started buying the wines starting with the 2003 vintage. The two Syrahs I started with were $40 a bottle. Now 14 vintages later (2017 being live), they have only gone to $80 a bottle...even with the incredible scores over the years. Thank you Cayuse!
Mark

Brent Bogen

Re: Cayuse is Live

#2 Post by Brent Bogen » August 22nd, 2018, 2:14 pm

In for a 3-pack of Cailloux!

As an aside, curious about wait-list durations. How long now? I think I was on it for 8-ish years before I got "the letter" last year for the 2016 vintage...

Peter Panzica

#3 Post by Peter Panzica » August 22nd, 2018, 5:21 pm

2016 WALLAH WALLAH SPECIAL
2017 IMPULSIVO
2017 CAILLOUX
2017 CAMASPELO
2017 EN CHAMBERLIN
2016 GOD ONLY KNOWS

My allocation this year. They've added a new 3 pack just about every year. Kind of annoyed that none of the 3 major review sites have posted timely reviews of these wines or the vintage in general. I have nearly 60 bottles of Cayuse in the cella and that's not from a lack of drinking them. Trying to be more discriminating in my purchases but would really like to get the Pig and the Frog and Armada. If I pass on the Camaspelo and Grenache will that keep that from happening? Anyone know anything about the vintage? Love the wines and the value but those yellow boxes are starting to reach the ceiling.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Mark Y » August 22nd, 2018, 6:00 pm

I've passed partially in the past and still got a new wishlist.. getting frogged is more to do with luck tho i think..
Y.e.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#5 Post by Robert M yers » August 22nd, 2018, 6:33 pm

Dropped GOK last year and was added Impulsivo on wish list, so you shouldn’t have to keep buying everything to still seem interested in other wines

Dale McClaran
Contributor
Contributor

#6 Post by Dale McClaran » August 22nd, 2018, 6:42 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
August 22nd, 2018, 6:33 pm
Dropped GOK last year and was added Impulsivo on wish list, so you shouldn’t have to keep buying everything to still seem interested in other wines
Be drinking these since around 2002-ish and without a doubt, the Impulsivo is my favorite of the stable with the Armada in a solid silver medal position. The Impulsivo also sports one of my favorite bottle labels as well.
GO HAWKS!

Mark Stevens
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Mark Stevens » August 22nd, 2018, 6:57 pm

I agree about the Impulsivo. Year after year, this has been my favorite of the Cayuse stable, including at their release parties in April. The label design is also stellar- more sophisticated than the Frog while still being visually strong and memorable. From Randall Grahm’s speech, a perfect match of graphics and contents!

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#8 Post by Robert M yers » August 22nd, 2018, 7:17 pm

Just signed in and I was added Frog finally after 8 years. With Armada, Impulsivo and Frog I’m pretty happy and will probably just ask for Pig from here on out.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#9 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » August 23rd, 2018, 5:10 am

I get En chamberlin, Frog, GOK and Edith. Not sure I will keep buying en chamberlin or Edith going forward.

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Joe B » August 23rd, 2018, 5:33 am

Still have not cracked this nut. Joined in early 2013.
J W@ll @ce

Ryan Allen

#11 Post by Ryan Allen » August 23rd, 2018, 8:11 am

Any feed back on the special magnum bottles? I have a couple I have not opened. Is that an allocated item or available to all on the list? Any guesses on how long to let those cellar before drinking?

Brandon R

#12 Post by Brandon R » August 23rd, 2018, 8:58 am

In for three each Cailloux and GOK, plus one of the Wallah mags. I wish-listed some of the other Syrah (Armada, Bionic Frog), but that's it. I chuckled when I clicked on, "Pick up April 3 and 4, 2020." Futures ordering is always a weird experience.
B. Redman

Brandon R

#13 Post by Brandon R » August 23rd, 2018, 8:59 am

Ryan Allen wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 8:11 am
Any feed back on the special magnum bottles? I have a couple I have not opened. Is that an allocated item or available to all on the list? Any guesses on how long to let those cellar before drinking?
Like you, Ryan, I haven't opened any of mine. From what I know, it's an allocation thing, but that could be wrong. You can "wish list" it too, so that's what makes me think it's allocated.
B. Redman

TR Barry
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by TR Barry » August 23rd, 2018, 10:19 am

My one remaining list and I'm happily taking my allotment again this year. Getting to a point where I can revisit some of these wines with some age and scrutinize whether to continue with certain bottling's or drop and request something else. Currently receiving the following:
-Armada
-G.O.K.
-Cailloux
-Camaspelo
-Impulsivo
-Bionic Frog
-Widowmaker
-Wallah Wallah Special Mag

Really the only bottling I'm lusting after is Flying Pig at this point. I've been on the list since the 2009 vintage and received wishlist requests most years and have only dropped Edith out of what I have been offered.
Todd- Lost In The White Room

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by SeanHarding » August 23rd, 2018, 5:27 pm

Peter Panzica wrote:
August 22nd, 2018, 5:21 pm
Trying to be more discriminating in my purchases but would really like to get the Pig and the Frog and Armada. If I pass on the Camaspelo and Grenache will that keep that from happening? Anyone know anything about the vintage?
I can't claim to know anything about the inner workings of their system. But I got Bionic Frog after consistently buying only a couple of 3-packs a year (mostly Cailloux) and wishlisting the Frog every year. At least back when I got in, it did not seem to be necessary to buy large volumes to get Bionic Frog.

This year I will probably just do Cailloux and Frog, but I haven't decided yet.

Tim D

#16 Post by Tim D » August 24th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Has anyone recently opened any 10, 11, or 12 Syrahs? Curious how they are drinking? What's the oldest Cayuse Syrah you've tasted?
D e l a n e y

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Ron Slye » August 24th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Tim D wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 7:10 pm
Has anyone recently opened any 10, 11, or 12 Syrahs? Curious how they are drinking? What's the oldest Cayuse Syrah you've tasted?
I have had the 11s, which were drinking really well (though that is a colder vintage). I recently opened an 07 En Cerise and En Chamberlin, and an 06 Flying Pig. They were all drinking really well. I think the 07 En Cerise was the best of them, but they were all quite good. I have had back to 2000 with Cayuse, but have not checked into those in a while. I had a 03 Camaspelo back in March this year -- my notes said it was good but not amazing. I also had an 03 Armada back in February. This had been one of my favorite bottles, but did not show well then -- so hard to know if that is age or just bottle variation. You can look at my tasting notes, and back in last November we (the Seattle tasting group) did a tasting of 2008 and 2011 Cayuse syrahs. I am curious to open some of the older syrahs I have to see how they are faring. I tend to like wines with age, but not sure how well these will do. If I open some in the next few weeks I will post here and let you know! (Oh and I am Slye over at CT.)

Tim D

#18 Post by Tim D » August 26th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Ron Slye wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 8:30 pm
Tim D wrote:
I have had the 11s, which were drinking really well (though that is a colder vintage). I recently opened an 07 En Cerise and En Chamberlin, and an 06 Flying Pig. They were all drinking really well. I think the 07 En Cerise was the best of them, but they were all quite good. I have had back to 2000 with Cayuse, but have not checked into those in a while. I had a 03 Camaspelo back in March this year -- my notes said it was good but not amazing. I also had an 03 Armada back in February. This had been one of my favorite bottles, but did not show well then -- so hard to know if that is age or just bottle variation. You can look at my tasting notes, and back in last November we (the Seattle tasting group) did a tasting of 2008 and 2011 Cayuse syrahs. I am curious to open some of the older syrahs I have to see how they are faring. I tend to like wines with age, but not sure how well these will do. If I open some in the next few weeks I will post here and let you know! (Oh and I am Slye over at CT.)
Thank you Ron, I appreciate your response. I will look up your TN here and on CT. I love his wines but, I don't have many with real age all less than 10 years old. I am curious how they age? Do they become more Rhone like or more California Syrah in style?
D e l a n e y

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#19 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 26th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Tim D wrote:
Oldest one I've had was the 07 Cailloux this past March. It was excellent, and in its prime drink window, I believe. I do tend to prefer my wines with a good amount of age on them, so that one struck me as a short-to-medium term ager.

A 13 Armada was surprisingly accessible back in March of 2017 with lots of air --- a truly pleasant experience, but best to wait a few more years.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by JeremyMullman » August 26th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Had an ‘09 En Chamberlin in May that was drinkimg splendidly from the pop of the cork. Beautiful fruit/funk balance. Perhaps a little more elegant than in its youth but not dramatically different.

JeremyMullman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by JeremyMullman » August 26th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Had an ‘09 En Chamberlin in May that was drinkimg splendidly from the pop of the cork. Beautiful fruit/funk balance. Perhaps a little more elegant than in its youth but not dramatically different.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Ron Slye » August 26th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Tim -- my sense is that they move towards more Rhone than CA with age. But I should qualify that while I have some experience with aged Rhone wines, I am by no means an expert. I will say that I find Cayuse to differ sometimes dramatically with the vintage. I think I have found the 04s or 05s to be much more chocolatey and extracted -- more what I would think of as a CA syrah. But other vintages are very much not that. And if I remember correctly I had an 04 or 05 recently (sorry, I should just look it up but am typing quickly to go do bedtime with our almost 2 year old daughter) that was more of what I would think of as Rhone flavored. Again this is a generalization, but I find the Bdx blends (with perhaps Flying Pig an exception sometimes) as more of that extracted new world approach than the syrahs. Let me know if you get to Seattle (or are you in Seattle or nearby?) -- I am happy to pull out some older ones for you to try!

JohnP

#23 Post by JohnP » August 26th, 2018, 9:19 pm

After five years I still haven't made the cut. Can someone please post the offering prices$$, just curious. [thankyou.gif]
John Pollard

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Ron Slye » August 27th, 2018, 12:20 am

They are sold as three packs. The per bottle price is (this is going from memory so I don't have them all )

Biopic frog. 105
Armada, God Only Knows, Flying Pig, Impulsivo. 90
En Cerise, En Chamberlin, Cailloux 80

I think camaspelo is 80. Widowmaker might be 90?

Viognier is 65.

Hope this helps!

Edit: I see that my phone typing resulted in Biopic Frog rather than Bionic -- an interesting idea for a new wine!
Last edited by Ron Slye on August 27th, 2018, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by dsGriswold » August 27th, 2018, 12:36 am

I think I signed up in '09 and got on 2 years ago. One of those years had a cork problem, so refunded which paid for this years offer. I have one WW mag in the cellar and a couple secondary market purchases. $80 for Cailloux, $175 for the WW mag + shipping.
DennisG

Tim D

#26 Post by Tim D » August 28th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Ron Slye wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 8:09 pm
Tim -- my sense is that they move towards more Rhone than CA with age. But I should qualify that while I have some experience with aged Rhone wines, I am by no means an expert. I will say that I find Cayuse to differ sometimes dramatically with the vintage. I think I have found the 04s or 05s to be much more chocolatey and extracted -- more what I would think of as a CA syrah. But other vintages are very much not that. And if I remember correctly I had an 04 or 05 recently (sorry, I should just look it up but am typing quickly to go do bedtime with our almost 2 year old daughter) that was more of what I would think of as Rhone flavored. Again this is a generalization, but I find the Bdx blends (with perhaps Flying Pig an exception sometimes) as more of that extracted new world approach than the syrahs. Let me know if you get to Seattle (or are you in Seattle or nearby?) -- I am happy to pull out some older ones for you to try!
Thanks Ron, no plans to get out there in the near future, but really appreciate the offer. I read some of your tasting notes on CT and all I can say is WOW, you've tasted a lot of very nice wine and clearly have a discerning palate. Cheers!
D e l a n e y

Greg Ossi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Greg Ossi » August 30th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Tim-
I agree with Ron that the syrahs develop with more complexity than other CA syrahs and more in line with how some Rhone wines age. But, Cayuse has such a particular "funk"/sweet(but not cloying) fruit style that more often than not a bottle can be picked in a blind tasting as Cayuse and not a Rhone wine. To be clear - I happen to really enjoy these wines and have a ton in my cellar so I love the way these age.

Greg

Ron Slye wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Ron Slye » August 30th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Yes Greg is definitely right about the funk -- and with some vintages I also detect what he describes as sweet -- less cloying as he says; though for me it is often more chocolate (and sometimes even milk chocolate). To be honest I don't particularly like the latter (milk chocolate). I have not found it present in many of the syrahs (a bit more sometimes in the Cayuse bdx blends, but even that varies). I have much more limited experience with comparable Rhone wines, but my sense is Greg is absolutely right that you can pretty easily tell a Cayuse wine blind (though perhaps it is a cousin -- No Girls, Reynvaan, Horsepower). The point is that the WA rocks syrahs have a pretty distinctive flavor profile that I am not sure is present in the Rhone. The Seattle wine group is going to taste some older Cayuse syrahs next month -- from 2000 to 2003 or 2004. We will also have one or two Rhones in the mix. It will be interesting to see how easy it is to spot the non-Cayuse syrahs, as well as to get a sense of how the Cayuse wines have developed after 15-20 years.

TR Barry
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by TR Barry » September 21st, 2018, 9:08 am

Wish List requests are being turned around quickly this year. Just received word that we were able to add Flying Pig to our allocation.

jeffruggels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by jeffruggels » September 21st, 2018, 10:34 am

i heard a few people were added as well, crazy times

Dave Gottschalk

#31 Post by Dave Gottschalk » September 21st, 2018, 11:40 am

Added1 — 2017 IMPULSIVO 3 X 750 ML. I think I am only waiting on The Pig now.

Andre M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Andre M » September 21st, 2018, 12:30 pm

Just got an email that I could order a 3 pack starting Sep 26.
Guess have to wait till next week to find out what they offer.
A M u l y o n o

CJ Wiebe

#33 Post by CJ Wiebe » September 21st, 2018, 1:11 pm

I received my Wish List email today and received the Widowmaker. I've had Wish List adds for the last 2 years now, so I'm pleased. I went about 3 years before that with no Wish List adds.
Cameron Wiebe

Michael Fess
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Michael Fess » September 21st, 2018, 1:42 pm

Also received the email that I can order a 3 pack on the 26th.

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by adam landa » September 21st, 2018, 2:05 pm

^Same here...been 10 years if I had to guess...lost interest TBH.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#36 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 21st, 2018, 2:53 pm

adam landa wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 2:05 pm
Why no more interest? The wines are pretty damn good.

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Andre M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Andre M » September 21st, 2018, 5:04 pm

When the wine will be delivered for this release? TIA.
A M u l y o n o

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by AlexS » September 21st, 2018, 5:16 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 2:53 pm
adam landa wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 2:05 pm
Why no more interest? The wines are pretty damn good.
+1

Adam, worth buying. I'll bring some older bottles to Nashville next time I'm down there.
s t e w @ r t

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by NED VALOIS » September 21st, 2018, 6:26 pm

Wish list granted

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by adam landa » September 21st, 2018, 6:28 pm

I signed up back when I was trying a lot different producers and have developed a loyalty to a few that I've stuck with for 10+ years...do I really want to start fresh with a producer where I will need to buy an increasing amount year after year to get access to the better bottles? For me the answer is no.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#41 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 21st, 2018, 7:28 pm

Adam, the buying doesn't increase that quickly, nor does one need to buy Wine X to get Wine Z.

Scott G r u n e r

#42 Post by Scott G r u n e r » September 21st, 2018, 7:31 pm

Yep. The only hostage situation is that you only get offered what you bought the year before or what you wishlist.

(Added) Oh and you pay a year and a half ahead of receiving the wine
Last edited by Scott G r u n e r on September 22nd, 2018, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
//Cynic

Peter Panzica

#43 Post by Peter Panzica » September 21st, 2018, 7:32 pm

I got Armada this year
Impulsivo last year
Still waiting on Pig, Frog and Widowmaker

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by SeanHarding » September 21st, 2018, 8:40 pm

I got Armada too, which I actually don't remember wishlisting, but apparently I did.....

Brandon R

#45 Post by Brandon R » September 24th, 2018, 10:31 am

Funny. I, too, was granted one of my "wish list" wines and it, too, was Armada Vineyard Syrah.
B. Redman

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#46 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 24th, 2018, 11:58 am

The Armada is excellent, imo.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by AlexS » September 24th, 2018, 12:45 pm

September 24th, 2018, 11:58 am
Agreed, now that I'm getting BF and have had a chance to compare I think Armada might actually be better.
s t e w @ r t

jeffruggels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by jeffruggels » September 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm

good to know - thanks Alex

TR Barry
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by TR Barry » September 24th, 2018, 1:23 pm

I've thoroughly enjoyed Armada and it was the first wish-list wine I was granted 9 years ago. For my palette its a toss up between Cailloux & Armada for which is my favorite.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#50 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 24th, 2018, 1:32 pm

AlexS wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 12:45 pm
September 24th, 2018, 11:58 am
Agreed, now that I'm getting BF and have had a chance to compare I think Armada might actually be better.
Wow. Really?!? I've never had a Bionic Frog, but it's reputation makes your report a surprise.

Return to “Wine Talk”