Eleven Madison Park Wine List Help

This coming weekend my wife and I will be dining at Eleven Madison Park to celebrate a milestone birthday. She will not be drinking, so more than a bottle will be a waste.

I was hoping to go big (by my standards), but some changes to our family planning means we need to be budget conscious. Ideally I’d like to keep it to under $150/bottle or $200 tops.

I like traditionally styled wines and like a profile with secondary or tertiary aromatics. I like the inclusion of stems and am not offended by moderate levels of brett. I am turned off by massive amounts of tannin, or a fruit profile that is too ripe or candied. I’d likely prefer to go with Pinot Noir, Syrah, or Chardonnay. I’d be interested to taste something I might have trouble acquiring elsewhere. I like Riesling, but drink and can buy lots of great Riesling already, so am unlikely to go that direction. I doubt nice Champagne really fits in my budget despite that fact that is will provide pairing flexibility, but if there is a nice option I’d prefer a rich/mature style.

https://hub.binwise.com/print/WineList_PDF.aspx?ListId=210&LocationID=120

I’ve never had Gonon, and I have my eye on that. If white is the better pairing I’m a PYCM fan and am eyeing that up.

Gonon Iles Feray 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Gonon St Joseph 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

• Any idea which of these vintages is most open right now?

Jamet Collines Rhodaniennes 2013, 2014, 2015

• I loved the 2012. I’ve found the 2016 hasn’t been great… so far.

Couly-Dutheil, La Baronnie Madeleine 2002

• I’ve found this producer really variable. Not sure I’m willing to take the risk that it’s not up to my liking.

Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey, Perrières 2013

• Or really any of the other PYCM St Aubins

Anything else I missed?

Honestly, if I was going to be limited to one bottle alone, I’d want maximum flexibility. The Paul Bara Rose @ 155 (~3.5 X retail) would make me happy. I’ve never had the Pierre Péters, Rosé for Albane @180 and might be tempted. In the finest Berserker tradition, not what you asked for.

How much is the wine pairing? (I assume they offer it)

I think wine pairing is $175 and I’d probably rather do that than be confined to one bottle for an 8-10 course meal. Though I don’t like to overly fuss over “perfect” pairings, the right wine at the right time can be superior to the “better” wine at the wrong time. That said, I totally agree on rose champagne as a good option for a single bottle. Such a wine carried through dessert at a Middle Eastern restaurant recently for me, but I think at EMP you’ll find something missing, since you’ll be tasting such diverse foods as fresh seafood and potentially fatty red meat.

I was going to suggest doing two half bottles (red + white), but didn’t see as much that interested me there.

I would trust the Som, tell them what you like, ask for them to point out a few wines they think you’d like and then have a few ideas for your back-up…

Chris

I personally think the 2013 Gonon St. Jo is the most open and best of recent vintages. It is also the cheapest on the list.

Personally I would go with
1 x 375 Hubert Lamy St Aubin Princee @ $85
1 x 375 Palacios Carullon Mencia @ $85

What about bringing your own bottle and paying corkage

I agree with going with the wine pairing, especially if it is $175. I would assume that they pour 3-4 different wines for the 8-10 course meal. Since you are the only one drinking, I bet they pour some special stuff for you as well…

I hope you have a great time. My wife and I took two of our dearest friends to EMP for my wife’s 50th birthday, and to this day it remains probably the best restaurant experience we have ever had…

2013 & 2015 Jamet should be better than the 2016.

Gonon is superb, but it is so drinkable, that I can’t see it lasting all the way thru a meal.

Drink per glass - bigger variety and it should be a good match to the food.

Get the wine pairing and go big with a 2015 gonon. 2015 gonon is really nice

2015 Juge Cornas might be something else to consider.

I’d personally do a glass of champagne (Marguet) to start off, followed by a 1/2 bottle.

Congrats on the upcoming addition to your family.

Gonon is probably not the best match for some of the food, but if you’ve never had one and you want to try, you’ll enjoy the wine itself. Tough choice between the 13 and 15, 13 is probably drinking better right now, but 15 is so good, if very young.

A northern rhone as the only bottle for EMP? i don’t think that’s a great idea.
i’d go with the pairing honestly… this situation is about as good a reason to get pairing as it gets. :slight_smile:

I’ve always found EMP’s wine list prices to be especially egregious. It looks like they are still charging 5x+ markups on a number of Californian wines that I have in my cellar. For example, a $70 Rhys Horseshoe is listed at $390. It does not appear that markup goes down much at the high-end. So for your $200 budget you are getting a $35 wine. It does include tip though.

I had the EMP wine pairing once and found it to be generally uninspired. Perhaps that is because the wine (6 half-ish pours if I remember correctly) is not even the equivalent of a $30 bottle.

The corkage fee is pretty good for a 3* NYC restaurant at $75/bottle. I would bring two from the cellar.

The PYCM St Aubin '14 En Remilly is a lovely wine, drinking well now with some air…

Half bottle of Krug, half bottle of Musar, and a GoFundMe for $25.

No wine by the glass? Ask the Som. I guess he will help you to have 3 glasses of wine pairing well with the food.

I would do the 97 Becker Halbtrocken for $95! That is an excellent wine that will evolve over the course of the meal. And if you need a glass of red you can still add it on because the Becker is only $95. In fact I would choose that wine even if cost was not a factor.