Suggestions for Tin City, Paso Robles

Heading upto PR with a friend from the UK on September 12th. Looking to do an afternoon of tasting at Tin City (and maybe starting at Turley if we do well time wise), and it looks like wednesdays are pretty much appointment only for most wineries.

I’m not familiar with any of them so before I fire off a load of emails, and given that there are more wineries than there will be time, could I get some advice on who are the “must visits”? I know the forum regards quite a few of the producers very highly but I can’t find any specifics on who. Thank you in advance.

Visit Nicora and Turtle Rock.

Check out Tyler Russell at Nelle and finish up with the ciders at the Tin City Cider Co in addition to the two already mentioned.

If you get to visit Nicora you need to contact Stanley Barrios at TOP Winery for a tasting. He is making some great juice and is working out of the Nicora facility so you can get 2 visits in one facility.

Second the suggestion for Nicora and Top. Also Levo from Bret Urness, Clos Solene and Field Recordings.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Two more I’d highly recommend - Giornata and Aaron.

Stop in at Barrelhead Brewing for a beer after you’ve finished tasting wine.

Try Desperada. Great people. The wine maker/owner is Vailia Esch, the wife of Russel From (Herman Story). Someone mentioned Clos Solene, nice wine but they have moved from Tin City to their own vineyard.

If you visit the Paso Robles area and don’t visit Tablas Creek you are missing out for sure.

Tom

I second Tom’s suggestion, Tablas Creek!

I’d second both of those.

We also really enjoyed Monochrome: http://www.monochromewines.com/

Really nice intimate tasting experience with the winemaker. White wines only served in Zalto glasses with Music playing softly off a turntable in the background.

Your British friend may enjoy meeting Neil Collins, winemaker for Tablas Creek, owner and winemaker for Lone Madrone, and owner and cider maker for Bristol Cider, named for the city he is from . . .

Cheers.

I’ll give a shout out to Brian Benson Wines. I’m pretty sure he’s still in Tin City. Brian does mainly Rhone varietals and they are on the big side. He got some good press from the Spectator a couple years back. He’s the son of Norm Benson, who formerly owned Dark Star Winery and has been around Paso for decades.

Tablas Creek and Turley are my two favorites to visit. Denner is also a very good visit with nice wines.

Tablas Creek and Turtle Rock are both great. Booker is awesome as well depending on whether or not they have any wine left to pour since they are usually sold out.

Thank you everyone. We’re booked into Nicora and TOP, and will do walk ins for the remainder of Tin City. Tablas Creek and Turley on the friday morning. I’ll try and do a trip report!

+1 on Nicora, TOP, Turtle Rock (their G2 Syrah rocks!). Actually, all the places mentioned are good. Some are just special-er.
If you get to Desperada, you might ask for Riley Hubbard who works there and makes her own Hubba wines.
As you drive out to Tablas Creek, Dilecta is worth a taste, on Vineyard, N of Peachy Canyon.
Clos Solene has moved to their vineyard on Niderer on the West side. Benom is in the prior tasting room, a joint venture between Guillaume and his brother,
Torrin is moving to their vineyard on west Peachy Canyon not far from Villa Creek. Not sure when one closes and the other opens, but soon
Call your target tastings and restaurants as many close Wednesday or mid-week.
You’ll be driving past my vineyards. Let me know if you’d like a field tour, or a glass of just about anybody not open. :slight_smile:

Aaron Jackson especially the Petite Sirah.
But his prices have gotten too high for me.

Benom is a must. It’s a cooperative venture between the incredibly charming Fabre brothers Arnaud and Guillaume, who is also the owner/winemaker at Clos Solene. And of course Nicora.