73% of Brits are intimidated by wine lists

An interesting article which I find surprising in so far as the high % is concerned. I’m infatuated by wine lists as I would think most on this board are as well, but we represent a small portion of the masses. Can it be 73% in the US? Probably.

I would say it is even higher in the US

I’d say that was bollocks if I wasn’t so scared!

If you combined those who are intimidated with those who don’t give a damn I’d say the number is WAY low.

I bet that number jumps to the high 90s if the list is comprised entirely of Old World Wines, for which the labels typically do not reveal the grape variety involved.

I can’t believe it’s that low. The only explanation I’d have is c. 25% don’t have a clue and don’t give a damn!

27% are under 18.

I’m intimidated by beer lists these days

The word “intimidate” will be viewed as many as being pejorative. I imagine some folks not wanting to admit that a piece of paper with the names of wines printed thereon “intimidates” them; consequently, that 73% figure may be artificially low as a result of people not being honest. Are people seriously “intimidated” by wine lists?!? “Confused” would have been a better poll term, imo.

I’m guessing that you can substitute most anything for “wine lists” and the results will be roughly the same.

Ok

I just buy whatever has the highest ETOH and IBU.

A nation that has class consciousness / status envy as its defining characteristic? Whose people are intimidated when confronted with their ignorance of high status things*? Well I never

*I personally do not treat wine as a status thing, but I imagine many might

Fair comment, but those of us that aren’t intimidated by the wines listed, are usually intimidated by rapacious markups!

Well said Ian.

Ain’t THAT the truth!

I think that probably 20% of brits lied.

most people I know are intimidated by wine lists. I think they are a ton of fun and can get lost in them, even when they’re not especially long (i get yelled at for this sometimes). but I also know that I am in the minority on my enjoyment of them.

That’s the 27% that also never masturbate.

Or new world wines where the label doesn’t say where the Wine is grown beyond country maybe. [stirthepothal.gif]

27% have not looked at the prices…