The End of WesternCivilization: Wisconsin Wine

Interesting article in today’s SacBee by Mike Dunne:
Wisconsin Wine

on his recent trip up Wisconsin way.
Tom

“…made with Marechal Foch, displays the sweetness and spice that a good many Badgers expect in their wines,”

Old Fashions are a gateway drug leading to the hard stuff: high residual Wisconsin wines.

I’ve been growing Marquette for ten years.

I had a chance to have a Wisconsin chardonnay in the Delta business class lounge in the Atlanta airport. Being from Wisconsin, I tried it. It wasn’t great.

Is your mixed case on the way?? champagne.gif

The new Napa of the North. I showed this to a somm from Toronto she was like WTF, No way.

I had a chance to have a Wisconsin chardonnay in the Delta business class lounge in the Atlanta airport. Being from Wisconsin, I tried it. It wasn’t great.

It was not from Wisconsin just bottled there. MN has a bunch of wineries that buy grapes from the west and bottle it here. Then they have the nerve to charge $40 a bottle or more.

Most of these kinds of wineries around the country are set up on the tourist model. People go on a Friday night to hear music, get a cheese plate, and sip the local wine. It is not world class wine but it makes for a fun outing. It would be a very difficult sell to try to make a super high quality wine, especially in that climate. There is a place for this too.

Wisconsin has been wine for decades. Mostly ‘cherry wine’ and the like, blueberry, raspberry, etc. Haven’t tried one, ever.

Wisconsin has been wine for decades. Mostly ‘cherry wine’ and the like, blueberry, raspberry, etc. Haven’t tried one, ever.

I like these in pies I have had from Wisconsin! I have not tried a wine made of blueberries but I would imagine it could be the closest thing to using grapes since acidity levels are higher.