TN: 2016 Weingut Keller Abts E® Riesling Großes Gewächs

2016 Weingut Keller Abts E® Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen (8/14/2018)
This wine started out with a massive dose of orchard fruit (apples and pears) with a bit of the yeast smell from super young riesling (that part dissipated as the evening wore on). There is plenty to love here, with the fruit giving way to a firm spine of acidity and minerality on the palate. This is a softer and more approachable edition in comparison to the immensely structural 2015 (which was really all mineral backbone) that I had around the same time last year. I hope with time that this will broaden out on the palate a little bit, as it’s a touch too linear right now. There’s great potential without a doubt, but I ultimately think that the 2015 will be the greater wine. (93 pts.)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmesmeVBpBx/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Thanks. Don’t have enough to try one yet!

But I thought each successive year was Keller’s best vintage ever.

World view…shattered.

No silly, that’s Julian Haart.

:smiley:

I’ve given up on opening Keller GG’s this soon after release. They seem to show so much better a year out. I don’t have enough experience to say that absolutely, but quite a few bottles at each stage have shown consistent results. Of course, I get so little Abtserde that I wouldn’t dream of opening one this early anyway, but it’s always nice to read a note.

lol i was just reading John Gilman’s take on Haart yesterday.

I do think some “younger” producers tend to make better wines each year as they focus in on the sites and how to work with them. Liger Belair I think is a great example of it. Just watching the growth/quality of the wine from 02-2010 is very compelling.

I absolutely agree that it tends to be wasteful to open Keller GGs so soon after release. But when you see them on restaurant lists with barely any markup, I don’t have a problem taking them down to get an early gauge. The way I see it, it’s me or someone else.

Have them hide gmax for when I’m in town k?

True. The majority of the Keller I have consumed has been in German restaurants. My own stash is well hidden apart from the ‘basic’ wines.

This wine is getting as hard to find & source as the G-Max now…if I saw one at a restaurant with a minimal mark-up…I’d snag it in a heart beat! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for the note. I don’t open these right after release, but given the short history of these GGs I try to open them relatively frequently to get a sense of when I like them best. I’ve been popping some '11 Keller GGs recently and they’ve really been singing - the Morstein in particular. I’m tempted to open more.
A

I’ve recommitted to buying this after our dinner in the fall. Great wines. Care to share the restaurant ?