TN: 2015 Domaine François Cotat (Paul & François) Sancerre Chavignol Rosé

• 2015 Domaine François Cotat (Paul & François) Sancerre Chavignol Rosé - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (8/14/2018)
    Again another confusion between Pascal and Francois as I’ve had this in CT as Pascal, and needed to change it, again, to Francois. It’s only just a label, as they both make killer stuff! And THIS bottle is killer! Bursting with energy and that Cotat minerality I love! Fresh and crisp lemon/grapefruit/tangerine acidity with the perfect balance of tart and sour skin, saline, not a hint of any alc heat whatsoever. Bowl full of fresh fruit…peach, cantaloupe, wild strawberry, grapefruit…all subtle, giving way to the fantastic geology…crushed rocks, slight smoked sea salt…pretty orange/peach blossom florals. The wine is substantial…yet elegant, and balanced. Probably the best Rose’ I’ve ever had! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

No fans of Cotat here I see…or is it me??? :frowning:
For those who care…this is drinking even better night two…minerals more pronounced, still fresh fruited, pretty florals and herbs in full bloom!

I’ve not posted for nearly 2 months but you’ve brought me back Buzz… In the words of Michael Jackson, you are not alone…

I’m not a Rosé fan to put it mildly but this bottle is a yearly buy for me. In fact I just ordered a 3 pack of the 2017.

I’ve never had a bottle make it to night two… [snort.gif]

I like the 2015 so much that I bought a case of the 2016 before trying it. I am not disappointed. Lovely juice the 2016. Pricey at $45 US.

That’s still cheaper than the $69AUD price I’m landing it at down here. Still, I won’t complain. Anytime I can get what I consider a great bottle of wine below $75AUD I’m laughing. They’re quite few and far between these days.

be sure to save a few to age. The 2010 is still in its young adulthood.

I’m still working my way through two cases of the brilliant 2010. Sounds like I need to get some 2015 too

DFFE1F0C-8F4B-4071-9A1D-128294F56EBF.jpeg

You’re a smarter man than I am. I only bought 4 of the 2010.

Curious as to what the alcohol was on the '15? I just had the '16 and it’s a little disjointed and, believe it or not, has a bit of an alcoholic bite on it to me. I know they can age; do they sometimes need time to sort themselves out?

They need time but they are also better IMO in cooler, lower alcohol vintages (or potentially in riper vintages that have sufficient acid and extract, and alcohol that wasn’t too high). That’s a general statement re: Francois Cotat’s wines, not just the Rose. For example, I don’t like where the 2006 and 2009 Roses have gone. 2003 either not surprisingly. All high ripeness years. All disjointed and unbalanced IME, with alcohol poking out. It was pretty hot in 2016, so while I haven’t tried it, it does sound like a cause for concern if the alcohol sticks out for you.

13%

Interesting. 2016 is 13.5%.

Who can save them? They’re so mesmerizingly delicious! The longest I’ve ever been able to hold out on a bottle from either brother is 3 years.

Well, you’ve got me interested. I have been a fan of Sancerre blanc for a while. Never tasted a Sancerre rose until my son brought a Sancerre Rose to my wife’s birthday mini celebration earlier this summer. Although I mentally poo-pooed the selection because I have not generally been a fan of rose (bad Mateus memories!?) Anyway, we all enjoyed it very much (2017 Lucien Crochet). I am going to seek out the Cotat due to your post. Thanks.

I’ve had that Crochet, Jim. Can’t say for sure whether your palate will fit with mine but for my marks, the Cotats are light-years better.

Got a box of 17 Cotat on pre-release. I am hopeful.