Eldorado County, CA Tasting Report

This is my third time tasting in El Dorado County. The first and most extensive trip was about 6 years ago during Passport weekend. There were some good wines then and I feel the quality has continued to improve, although better varietal selection(no Cab or Chard) and some winemaking can stand an upgrade.

This trip was concentrated on Carson Rd. in Northern El Dorado near Camino and the famous Apple Hill. I will skip to the highlights and the wine we purchased.

Our first stop was Illuminare. Owner/winemaker Aaron was pouring, he is a talented winemaker and mellow guy. We were wowed by the 13 Petite Sirah and the Alicante Bousche barrel last year. We loved the bottled Alicante, 13 Malbec and 14 Pets. The wines have bold El Dorado fruit aligned with solid structure, really good mouthfeel and length. A good start to the day and a lesson on what the region can offer at its best. Highly recommended for a visit.

Next up was Rucksack, an offshoot of Madrona. The 17 Chenin Blanc is the best non Loire CB I have tasted. Minerally, crisp and long. Excellent. Seco is a dry red blend of 3 Portugese varietals and a unique expression of El Dorado meets Portugal. Very stimulating and a sure bet with food. All of their wines are only $24. We had dinner at Cascada in Placerville. It is a hip modern Mexican joint in a Gold Rush building. Good food and we had 13 Rucksack Marsanne-Roussane for only $26 off the chalkboard feature. Dry, medium body with rounded fruit and acid. Nice.

On to Fenton Herriott Vineyards. The standout was the 15 Zin. With air complexity emerged and the violet nose was especially pleasant. Their selection of scented soy based candles for sale in the tasting room was exquisite. We bought the ginger cardamom candle. All the candles were sealed with tops so as not to scent the room.

Grace Patriot dry Gewurtraminer is among the 2 best US examples I have had, along with Londer from a while back. Minerally, dry, crisp and long. I tasted several other wineries Petit Verdot and selected this PV for purchase. Again that vivid El Dorado fruit, inky color, balance and joy. Of all the reds we bought this one begs to be drank over the short term to preserve the luscious fruit.

A fun trip to Gold Country and easy drive from Reno.

The next trip we will head south to Fairplay.