SQN Questions

Hoping some long time SQN buyers can help me with a few questions…

1. What’s the cadence of SQN release? once a year? multiple times? or at hoc - random times?

2. how much are the syrah/grenache normally? I ask b/c i was added to SQN for the first time earlier this spring, and offered a 6btl box set of 2014 SQN (capu de putti and Testa cherubini). It was $1500 for the 6 btls (plus tax/shipping etc).
    Now i’m just offered (second time ever), two 3 packs of 2016 syrah and grenache. $510 per 3 pack (so $1,020 for 6 pack). Why the large difference in pricing?

3. Was there any 2015 offered? any idea why i wouldn’t be offered any of that? not a big deal but more of a curiosity…

Thx!

SQN releases twice a year…the EBA(extended barrel aged) and the white…and then the regular Syrah and Grenache. The 14 was the EBA, and the 16, that is just coming out, is the reg release. 15 reg was last year.

Buzz, thank u. Do u have to buy both to stay on the list? Or they are separate lists. I probably will anyways but want to know the rule and if u skip one do u get dropped.

Also what’s unique about the EBA other than the barrel aging time. Is there a vineyard / site diff?

Thx!

Yea the fruit for eba is all from their Eleven Confessions vineyard. Considered more high end reserve if you will. Just one list. There is a HUGE waiting list, so if you skip, you probably won’t get axed, just will be offered less next time. If you skip again, then you probably won’t get an offer. If you don’t want your full allo, you can just request a lesser allo, and that’s what they will offer you. I toned down my reg allo to 6 and 3, and that’s what I get offered every year.

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for the cogent answers. My first year on the list too (after a 9 year wait).

Mark,

I started buying with the 2012 EBA vintage (you seemed to start with the 2014). So I’ve had a few years to settle into the pattern. What I will say is that they were super receptive to my writing to them and asking for something that fit me the best. The EBA’s are more money…but worth EVERY penny. All their wines are special…and I think once you get your first shipment it makes sense to let the bottles rest for 30 days and pull the cork to see what all the fuss is about. I was very happy that I did that with the Syrah I opened…

1 Like

got the offer today as well…finally got offered for set of mags! champagne.gif

Another question (I’m bookmarking this thread!):

When do the two yearly releases actually ship?

EBA is shipped in the fall and regular in the spring if i recall?

I don’t know what the reality is, but I wouldn’t make the assumption that skipping a release as a new list member and/or no communication with SQN would yield future offers.

1 Like

How long had you been on the list before being offered mags? Did you wishlist more of everything every time?

FIFY

1 Like

How long were you on the waitlist before getting an offering? I’m on the waitlist 6 years now.

for me. i think 8 yrs or so?

Damn. I’ve been on the list since 2/11/2009

1 Like

Waiting for the “sorry no soup for you” email…

Strangely, that is the EXACT same day I got this email from SQN:

Dear Kevin,

We will gladly add your information into our data base, although unfortunately for the time being it will have to be something as obnoxious as a WAITING LIST because our active mailing list has been completely full for a while. We will keep you updated however and we will do our best to make the wait as short as possible. Please be patient, we’ll get there.

Thanks again and all the best wishes,
Stephanie Greco

I had sent them an email the day before requesting that I be added. So apparently you missed getting this year’s offers by 1 day!

pileon

Yes, I’m a bastard for pointing this out.

ok it could be like 10 years… maybe late 2008 i signed up… i don’t really remember… how do you guys have such exact dates???
:wink:

FWIW, I am going to drop the list. I love the wines, but I have so many. And generally I lean old world most of the time. Anyway, someone new will get on soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like