Do you have questions on any of the new features? Ask here! (Also some instructions inside)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Do you have questions on any of the new features? Ask here! (Also some instructions inside)

#51 Post by Blake Brown » August 13th, 2018, 4:49 pm

No answer to my post #21 which may not be related to the new features, but.....

Also, I am being shown as online when I have checked it to not show and have satisfied the statement "Changing this setting won’t become effective until your next visit to the board." ???
Last edited by Blake Brown on August 13th, 2018, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

J a y H a c k

Re: Do you have questions on any of the new features? Ask here!

#52 Post by J a y H a c k » August 13th, 2018, 4:50 pm

lleichtman wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 3:19 pm
RichardFlack wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 2:40 pm
J a y H a c k wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 9:02 am
Do the goyim know the meaning of the word "Ungepatchka?" Because it accurately described the new site.
What's a goyim? :)
Not kidding are you. Goyim are non-Jews and ungepatchka means too fancy or ornate.
Actually, goyim means people of the world and ungepatchka means busy as that term is used in Indiana. Too much shyte going on all at the same time.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: Do you have questions on any of the new features? Ask here! (Also some instructions inside)

#53 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 4:57 pm

PeterJ wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:41 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm
PeterJ wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:30 pm
Thanks for all the hard work and the new goodies I’ve yet to find. Just one question: I used to check the main board list to see the date and time of the last post on each board before entering it (to avoid going on that board and finding the last post(s) to be something I’ve already read). I’m not seeing that date & time now on my iPhone but it IS there in the far right column on my PC. Is this something that is fixable?
On iPhone it says right below every thread title who made the last post, and when, including time.
Yes. But I’m pretty sure I used to see that on the main board index too...... BEFORE entering a board.
Not sure it did, but instant fix is turning the phone sideways - you can see them then!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#54 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Blake Brown wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Also, I am being shown as online when I have checked it to not show and have satisfied the statement "Changing this setting won’t become effective until your next visit to the board." ???
Why do you want to hide from us?? [cry.gif]
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

PeterJ

#55 Post by PeterJ » August 13th, 2018, 5:09 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:57 pm
PeterJ wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:41 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm

On iPhone it says right below every thread title who made the last post, and when, including time.
Yes. But I’m pretty sure I used to see that on the main board index too...... BEFORE entering a board.
Not sure it did, but instant fix is turning the phone sideways - you can see them then!
It did, because I could always see how long it had been since the last post to the Wine Pimps board (which often goes a week or more without a new post).

When I turn my iPhone 8 sideways I just see the same index wider. Oh, well. Not the end of the world.
Peter J@ckel

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Blake Brown » August 13th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:58 pm
Blake Brown wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Why do you want to hide from us?? [cry.gif]
I do not want to hide from all. I love you all. Just not into the name splash thing.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

BRhoades

#57 Post by BRhoades » August 13th, 2018, 5:35 pm

c fu wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:54 am
Mark Y wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:47 am
Is there an easy way to attach photos from mobile (iphone)? desktop drag is awesome, how to replicate that UX from mobile?
you can still add attachments. I still recommend uploading images to IMGUR and direct linking. Much higher quality photos
Concur with this.

Cheers,

Bud
It aint wine all the time

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Do you have questions on any of the new features? Ask here!

#58 Post by Brian S t o t t e r » August 13th, 2018, 6:54 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 9:02 am
Do the goyim know the meaning of the word "Ungepatchka?" Because it accurately described the new site.
I’m no Yiddish scholar but even that one is new for me.

Zei gezunt!
CT: InZinity

2018 WOTY (so far):

1988 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Eiswein
1985 Chateau Lynch Bages
2015 Martin Mullen Trarbacher Huhnerberg Riesling Spatlese trocken* '3te Terrasse'
2007 J.J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese
1994 Shafer Hillside Select
2004 G.D. Vajra Bricco delle Viole
2001 Chateau Climens

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by brigcampbell » August 13th, 2018, 7:35 pm

Todd, in mobile mode you can't click directly to the last post. There used to be a little icon that'd take you directly.

Currently, you have to click on the last page then scroll down.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#60 Post by c fu » August 13th, 2018, 7:43 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Todd, in mobile mode you can't click directly to the last post. There used to be a little icon that'd take you directly.

No you don’t. Click on the icon on the left. It takes you to last post unread
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#61 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 8:01 pm

c fu wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 7:43 pm
brigcampbell wrote:

Yup, just like on the forum in the computer browser - the little red thing is the 'last post', takes you right to it:
Attachments
IMG_0495 2.jpg
IMG_0495 2.jpg (162.41 KiB) Viewed 677 times

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 14th, 2018, 5:15 am

Are all the existing YouTube links now dead? Noticed it in a couple of threads.

I actually don't mind, as too many of them causes a thread to load very slowly. Just curious.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by B. Buzzini » August 14th, 2018, 7:50 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 8:01 pm
c fu wrote:
brigcampbell wrote:

Yup, just like on the forum in the computer browser - the little red thing is the 'last post', takes you right to it:
That doesn't work for me? I click on the red icon(says "unread posts") and it sends me to a random placement in the thread? AND...if you have posted in the thread, there is no red icon?? [scratch.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#64 Post by c fu » August 14th, 2018, 8:20 am

B. Buzzini wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 7:50 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
c fu wrote:

That doesn't work for me? I click on the red icon(says "unread posts") and it sends me to a random placement in the thread? AND...if you have posted in the thread, there is no red icon?? [scratch.gif]
It’s sending you to the last unread post by you.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by B. Buzzini » August 14th, 2018, 8:32 am

c fu wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 8:20 am
B. Buzzini wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Well then I'm not going to be able to get to the last post unless I've seen all the other posts in thread? Why can't we just have a "go to last post" icon on mobile?
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#66 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 14th, 2018, 8:50 am

B. Buzzini wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 8:32 am
c fu wrote:
B. Buzzini wrote:

Well then I'm not going to be able to get to the last post unless I've seen all the other posts in thread? Why can't we just have a "go to last post" icon on mobile?
You can - turn the phone sideways (as mentioned above) - that gives you immediate and temporary (until you turn it back) access to all the quick features of the desktop browser. The last column has the last post in it, you click the small gray box, it takes you right there, then you can turn it right back.

This mobile browser has ALL the features of the desktop, and turning horizontal/vertical changes the experience as needed. Vertical gives you quick access for those who are accustomed to just viewing new posts in a bunch of threads (like me) - turning the phone sideways gives you a broader, wider array of features so you can get whatever you want, then turn it back for easy scrolling/reading

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#67 Post by c fu » August 14th, 2018, 8:53 am

B. Buzzini wrote:
c fu wrote:
B. Buzzini wrote:

So... you’d rather get to the last post and scroll up to find out where you left off.. instead of just being directly sent there?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by David Glasser » August 14th, 2018, 9:30 am

I use the red box that takes me to the first unread post. I have no need to go directly to the last post in a thread.

That said, turning my phone sideways does not reveal a gray box in the last column to the right or left.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#69 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 14th, 2018, 9:33 am

David Glasser wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 9:30 am
I use the red box that takes me to the first unread post. I have no need to go directly to the last post in a thread.

That said, turning my phone sideways does not reveal a gray box in the last column to the right or left.
Looks like this: (thumbnail now by default - click to see full size)
Attachments
IMG_0496.jpg

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by B. Buzzini » August 14th, 2018, 9:43 am

c fu wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 8:53 am
B. Buzzini wrote:
c fu wrote:

So... you’d rather get to the last post and scroll up to find out where you left off.. instead of just being directly sent there?
Threads like "What bottle of wine did you open today" have 191 pages...I'm NOT going to view all the posts, but once in awhile I'd like to see a current post.

Turning my phone(iPhone 6) does NOT look like Todd's attmt, and doesn't show the gray box?
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by ky1em!ttskus » August 14th, 2018, 9:44 am

I don’t see a gray box either

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#72 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 14th, 2018, 9:54 am

Perhaps you guys have amped up the size of your text, so it doesn't show a full width like that?

Buzz, then you, of all people, DO want the red box that takes you to the first unread post - makes little sense to (as Charlie said, also) go to the last post, then scroll up to find the last one you read when that little box on the left will do it for you! It goes to whatever is the newest post IN THAT THREAD that you haven't yet read - it's exactly what you want. Try it, you'll like it :)

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 14th, 2018, 9:57 am

While I do not care all that much about the gray box, I can confirm that on my iPhone 6, with font set to normal (versus the 130%), and the phone in landscape orientation, there is no gray box. Buzz is not dreaming.

Mark C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Mark C » August 14th, 2018, 9:58 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 9:33 am
David Glasser wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 9:30 am

Looks like this: (thumbnail now by default - click to see full size)
Todd, the zoom into the graphic feature is awesome but how do you get “back” from the expanded view with a single key as opposed to hitting the browser BACK button?
[cheers.gif]

Mark Cћамρηeγ

Wine Berserkers, “delight of the incapable and insignificant"!

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.” — Jay Bylsma

“Mark; I’ll surrender the argument.” Gordon Fitz

aka Frabjous/CT

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#75 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 14th, 2018, 9:59 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 9:57 am
While I do not care all that much about the gray box, I can confirm that on my iPhone 6, with font set to normal (versus the 130%), and the phone in landscape orientation, there is no gray box. Buzz is not dreaming.
Turn it sideways, pinch to squash it up a bit - on horizontal, the dynamic sizing should have a full width. Can you post a screenshot with the handy drag and drop feature we now have?

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Alan Rath » August 14th, 2018, 10:38 am

Something else I've noticed (using Firefox, not sure if this is true for other browsers, or how they used to behave): I tend to open topics in a new page, so when I visit the board I might have several pages open to read through. Those always used to just be titled "Berserkers". Now they show the title of the thread itself. That's probably a good thing, I just have to get used to it.

There is also (sometimes) a number in parentheses in front of the title, wondering what that is. Hmm, could that be the number of "notifications" I have? yep, that's it, soon as I clear the notifications, that goes away.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 14th, 2018, 10:58 am

Why are my PMs getting hung up in my outbox? (Asking for a friend an acquaintance)
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 14th, 2018, 11:12 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 9:59 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 9:57 am
Turn it sideways, pinch to squash it up a bit - on horizontal, the dynamic sizing should have a full width. Can you post a screenshot with the handy drag and drop feature we now have?
Squashed as much as the phone will allow
IMG_5499.jpg

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by David Glasser » August 14th, 2018, 1:25 pm

I see the same screen as DavidB with phone sideways and zoomed out.

Todd, the second through fourth columns in your screen shot don’t show at all on our phones. Just the first column extending horizontally to fill the screen. Samsung Galaxy S9, latest version of Android here.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 14th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Apparently if you are Super Cru like me you get all 4 columns.
Last edited by Neal.Mollen on August 14th, 2018, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Al Osterheld

#81 Post by Al Osterheld » August 14th, 2018, 1:40 pm

May depend on number of pixels in the screen, eg, 6 vs 6 Plus.

-Al

Mike Kuller

#82 Post by Mike Kuller » August 14th, 2018, 3:25 pm

I see a number of Youtubes that didn't make it over to the new format (just black boxes). I tried to reload one and it didn't work.
No Vino Sin Cojones

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#83 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 14th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Mike Kuller wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 3:25 pm
I see a number of Youtubes that didn't make it over to the new format (just black boxes). I tried to reload one and it didn't work.
How are you trying to reload it? What steps (or what post, so I can see the code)?

Dave English
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Dave English » August 14th, 2018, 4:06 pm

On the forum topics page, can you make the gaps between topics a tiny bit larger? Seems to be a mass of text. It is like the title of the post is too close to the line going across separating each one. (if that makes sense)

topics.JPG

Brad Kane

#85 Post by Brad Kane » August 14th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Where's that little button on the thread header that used to take you to the last post? Also, when in a thread, why do I see myself as listed online on the bottom when my settings are set to hide online status?
itb.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#86 Post by c fu » August 14th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Brad Kane wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 4:10 pm
Where's that little button on the thread header that used to take you to the last post? Also, when in a thread, why do I see myself as listed online on the bottom when my settings are set to hide online status?
Question 1 is answered on this very page.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 14th, 2018, 4:23 pm

I have my little gripes about the new look (shocking I know) but it sure is snappy. Like, really quick. Big improvement. Thanks to management for that.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#88 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 14th, 2018, 4:24 pm

c fu wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 4:18 pm
Brad Kane wrote:
With a giant photo!!!

As for Q2, I'm trying to find out about that - Blake Brown also asked

Mike Kuller

#89 Post by Mike Kuller » August 14th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 3:50 pm
Mike Kuller wrote:
How are you trying to reload it? What steps (or what post, so I can see the code)?
Here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=153028#p2555573

Posts #24 and #48.
No Vino Sin Cojones

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#90 Post by c fu » August 14th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Mike Kuller wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 6:23 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Mike Kuller wrote:

Posts #24 and #48.
It’s a different media tag now. So in essence some of the old ones will have to be reloaded
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#91 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 14th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Mike Kuller wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Mike Kuller wrote:

Posts #24 and #48.
Fixed the latter one, super easy (instructions posted elsewhere as well, like the 'media' thread) - just put the entire URL in between the 'media' code (which shows up when you click the media button, right next to spoiler - looks like a monitor)

All in all the media button works across a MASSIVE array of sites, automatically parsing them for embedding into posts. Just put the URL between the code, boom, done.

Mike Kuller

#92 Post by Mike Kuller » August 14th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 6:34 pm
Mike Kuller wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Posts #24 and #48.
Fixed the latter one, super easy (instructions posted elsewhere as well, like the 'media' thread) - just put the entire URL in between the 'media' code (which shows up when you click the media button, right next to spoiler - looks like a monitor)

All in all the media button works across a MASSIVE array of sites, automatically parsing them for embedding into posts. Just put the URL between the code, boom, done.
Thanks.
No Vino Sin Cojones

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#93 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 14th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 4:24 pm
c fu wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 4:18 pm
Brad Kane wrote:
With a giant photo!!!

As for Q2, I'm trying to find out about that - Blake Brown also asked
Blake, Brad and others, just posted in the GCC/Subscribers thread:

Just added a sweet feature to Grand Cru Crü - as if they needed any more trick functionality - only they are allowed to hide online status! When you login, you can click 'hide online status' as some are prone to do (not sure why, frankly) and you can be online but the ONLINE ribbon doesn't appear over your avatar. Non-GCC members can select the button, but it won't work!

PeterJ

#94 Post by PeterJ » August 14th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Don’t really want to pick at nits here but this is what I see with iPhone 8 held sideways and font as small as it will go.
9E8C712A-F988-4DC3-9A64-EC6ADA18FEB1.png
Last edited by PeterJ on August 14th, 2018, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter J@ckel

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#95 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 14th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Might be size of the font setting on your iphone - I have mine set at default, the small size most people can't see. Regardless, I'm researching it

Philip N. Jones

#96 Post by Philip N. Jones » August 14th, 2018, 7:56 pm

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but how does the new system mark read and unread posts?
Thanks,
Phil Jonex

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#97 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 14th, 2018, 8:08 pm

Philip N. Jones wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 7:56 pm
I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but how does the new system mark read and unread posts?
Thanks,
Phil Jonex
If the paper icon with the folded cover right next to the post number is RED, it is unread. If it is gray, it is read.

PeterJ

#98 Post by PeterJ » August 14th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 7:41 pm
Might be size of the font setting on your iphone - I have mine set at default, the small size most people can't see. Regardless, I'm researching it
If it’s if any help I set the font to the smallest size possible for that screen capture. I’m unable to find any setting called ‘default’ and Google has been no help in locating it. Anyway, that size text IS, indeed, too small.
Peter J@ckel

Sean Devaney

#99 Post by Sean Devaney » August 15th, 2018, 1:54 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 7:11 pm

Just added a sweet feature to Grand Cru Crü - as if they needed any more trick functionality - only they are allowed to hide online status! When you login, you can click 'hide online status' as some are prone to do (not sure why, frankly) and you can be online but the ONLINE ribbon doesn't appear over your avatar. Non-GCC members can select the button, but it won't work!

I just noticed that my name appears on "Who Is Online" list at the bottom of the page (no avatar) and I have the "Hide My Online Status" box checked yes on my control panel [scratch.gif] I do prefer to hide my online status. Can this be fixed? Do you have to be Grand Cru member to hide your online status now?

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by David Glasser » August 15th, 2018, 4:34 am

Sean Devaney wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 1:54 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 7:11 pm

I just noticed that my name appears on "Who Is Online" list at the bottom of the page (no avatar) and I have the "Hide My Online Status" box checked yes on my control panel [scratch.gif] I do prefer to hide my online status. Can this be fixed? Do you have to be Grand Cru member to hide your online status now?
This is the deal with hiding online status, near as I can tell.

Changes you make to "hide online status" in the user control panel don’t take effect until you log out and log in again. You can’t just leave the page or close the tab and return. You have to log out/log in.

When hidden, your own name will still appear at the bottom of the page, in italics, but it will only be visible by you. I guess in case you forget who you are.

The "online" sash by your avatar on your posts also disappears only after making the selection on the control panel and logging out/in.

I’m a GCC so I don’t know if any of this is different for non GCC members.

Return to “Wine Talk”