Do you have questions on any of the new features? Ask here! (Also some instructions inside)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Re: Do you have questions on any of the new features? Ask here! (Also some instructions inside)

#201 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 26th, 2018, 9:31 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 7:52 am
I must be doing something wrong. When I post an over-sized picture, I get the same message I did previously. I thought the new s/w was supposed to resize it automatically. And the resizing option doesnpt exist any longer. So what am I doing wrong?
I have to limit it somewhere, or it will post full resolution images which can't even be viewed in one area of the browser (you'd have to scroll up down and sideways to see it) and it's set rather LARGE at 4800X3600 - larger than that you'll have to reduce it in size before attaching. Images keep getting bigger and bigger with the phone technology putting out massive file sizes, so it has to be limited at some point.

Several suggestions have been made in this thread about using IMGUR or the like, where it's automatically resized, then you can post a link.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Do you have questions on any of the new features? Ask here! (Also some instructions inside)

#202 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 26th, 2018, 9:39 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 9:31 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
I must be doing something wrong. When I post an over-sized picture, I get the same message I did previously. I thought the new s/w was supposed to resize it automatically. And the resizing option doesnpt exist any longer. So what am I doing wrong?
I have to limit it somewhere, or it will post full resolution images which can't even be viewed in one area of the browser (you'd have to scroll up down and sideways to see it) and it's set rather LARGE at 4800X3600 - larger than that you'll have to reduce it in size before attaching. Images keep getting bigger and bigger with the phone technology putting out massive file sizes, so it has to be limited at some point.

Several suggestions have been made in this thread about using IMGUR or the like, where it's automatically resized, then you can post a link.
This one is MUCH smaller than that and I got the "shame on you" message

http://pqliving.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... _0376b.jpg
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#203 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 26th, 2018, 9:50 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 9:39 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 9:31 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:

This one is MUCH smaller than that and I got the "shame on you" message

http://pqliving.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... _0376b.jpg
There was also a file size limit - was set at 4MB, your pic is 9MB - would be smarter to upload it to IMGUR so we don't have massive images posted that slow down the whole forum because they fill up the server space.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by Craig G » August 26th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Is there an option to have links open in a new tab on mobile?
“I want to halve your babies” — King Solomon

C. Gle@son

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#205 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 28th, 2018, 7:49 am

Craig G wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 3:28 pm
As with all links on mobile, press it and hold it, then other options pop up, including open in new window

Peter Simpson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by Peter Simpson » August 29th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Todd, maybe this has already been suggested, but on a couple of occasions I thought I came to the end of a thread, only to realize later I had missed the fact it had multiple pages. I now make sure I scroll down below the "Quick Reply" box every time I come to the end of a thread. This is a bit of a PIA so perhaps the Page number boxes could be moved up above the Quick Reply box?
Cheers, Peter

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#207 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 29th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Peter Simpson wrote:
August 29th, 2018, 1:49 pm
Todd, maybe this has already been suggested, but on a couple of occasions I thought I came to the end of a thread, only to realize later I had missed the fact it had multiple pages. I now make sure I scroll down below the "Quick Reply" box every time I come to the end of a thread. This is a bit of a PIA so perhaps the Page number boxes could be moved up above the Quick Reply box?
That's not possible, unless I remove the Quick Reply function, sorry - it's the same as it was before, however. The page numbers were below quick reply on the last software as well

Mark C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#208 Post by Mark C » September 3rd, 2018, 10:27 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
August 24th, 2018, 4:21 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 8:20 am
Struggling with the drag and drop concept for attachments when I am using a tablet. Not sure what I am missing. Help an old guy out please.
Bump
David, try using the “Attachment” button, it allows you to navigate to the file to be attached.
[cheers.gif]

Mark Cћамρηeγ

Wine Berserkers, “delight of the incapable and insignificant"!

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.” — Jay Bylsma

“Mark; I’ll surrender the argument.” Gordon Fitz

aka Frabjous/CT

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » September 3rd, 2018, 10:29 am

Yeah, at first it wasn’t there, which is why I asked. I had to clear the cache and delete cookies and all to refresh the site. Now everything is back to semi-normal.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#210 Post by Ken V » September 4th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 7:49 am
Craig G wrote:
As with all links on mobile, press it and hold it, then other options pop up, including open in new window
How about on the desktop/laptop version? I asked this by email, but I guess I have to ask it here. Links used to open in a new tab here, now they don't. :(
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#211 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 4th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Ken V wrote:
September 4th, 2018, 5:59 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Craig G wrote:
How about on the desktop/laptop version? I asked this by email, but I guess I have to ask it here. Links used to open in a new tab here, now they don't. :(
Right click - open in new tab

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by Ken V » September 9th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 4th, 2018, 6:38 pm
Ken V wrote:
September 4th, 2018, 5:59 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Right click - open in new tab
Yes, I know how to use a computer. In the prior version of the SW this was not necessary. If it is permanent, I will retrain myself.
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#213 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 10th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Still having a bunch of trouble with posting pictures. The s/w can't determine image size, or it is too big. And with no option to resize myself, I have to save and upload, which I thought was something we were trying to avoid.

This image eg does not appear to be large enough to cause problems but cannot be posted with the link

https://www.washingtonpost.com/resizer/ ... WMHHUE.png

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#214 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 13th, 2018, 10:07 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
September 10th, 2018, 1:09 pm
Still having a bunch of trouble with posting pictures. The s/w can't determine image size, or it is too big. And with no option to resize myself, I have to save and upload, which I thought was something we were trying to avoid.

This image eg does not appear to be large enough to cause problems but cannot be posted with the link

I have to limit the size of photos (as mentioned a few times before) because otherwise we'll fill the database quickly. Charlie has posted a number of ways to post pics online, particularly recommending IMGUR

In this particular case, the host of the image doesn't have measurements/dimensions for it so it can't be posted. That's not uncommon with .png files. You can right click and save it, and upload as an attachment

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#215 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 13th, 2018, 10:11 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:07 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:

I have to limit the size of photos (as mentioned a few times before) because otherwise we'll fill the database quickly. Charlie has posted a number of ways to post pics online, particularly recommending IMGUR

In this particular case, the host of the image doesn't have measurements/dimensions for it so it can't be posted. That's not uncommon with .png files. You can right click and save it, and upload as an attachment
I understand that. But the old s/w (despite all its other problems) had the re-sizeable image option. Any chance this makes a reappearance?

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#216 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 13th, 2018, 10:12 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:11 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:07 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:

I understand that. But the old s/w (despite all its other problems) had the re-sizeable image option. Any chance this makes a reappearance?
It cannot. It reduced the file size but also created more issues, including reducing (greatly) the resolution of the photos.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#217 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 13th, 2018, 10:15 am

[soap.gif] Harumph!

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#218 Post by David Glasser » September 15th, 2018, 5:44 am

Being able to post the higher-res versions of pics more than makes up for adjusting to a different routine IMO.

Al Osterheld

#219 Post by Al Osterheld » September 15th, 2018, 6:50 am

If you need to resize an image and you're using a Mac (I believe you are, Neal), it's straightforward to change the size using Preview (look under Tools).

-Al

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by mattcitrang » September 21st, 2018, 7:51 am

Where do you find a list of Berserker Businesses other than the user list?

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#221 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 21st, 2018, 8:01 am

mattcitrang wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 7:51 am
Thanks for the reminder, Matt! I need to assemble a searchable query for that so I can post a quick link, otherwise you can go to 'quick links', 'members', 'find a member' and choose the group BerserkerBusiness for a full list - I want to make a one-click link and will let you know when I have it

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#222 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 21st, 2018, 10:13 am

mattcitrang wrote:
All set!!! You'll find a quick link atop every page now!

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#223 Post by Steve Gautier » September 24th, 2018, 10:06 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 10:13 am
mattcitrang wrote:
All set!!! You'll find a quick link atop every page now!
Is there a place to see the list of business names as opposed to a link to the individuals.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Ian Dorin
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#224 Post by Ian Dorin » September 25th, 2018, 9:30 am

For some reason, I can't add the link to Facebook in my profile.
And there isn't one for IG too?
ITB, Amanti Vino

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#225 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 25th, 2018, 9:47 am

Ian Dorin wrote:
September 25th, 2018, 9:30 am
For some reason, I can't add the link to Facebook in my profile.
And there isn't one for IG too?
(To others reading this, see that Ian is BerserkerBusiness, so this applies only to BerserkerBusiness members)

Be sure you use http:// or https:// in the links, and you'll want to have something like this: (written in code blocking so it doesn't automatically parse into a link)

Code: Select all

[color=#000080][url=https://www.facebook.com/AmantiVino/][b][size=100]Amanti Vino Facebook Page[/size][/b][/url][/color]

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#226 Post by mattcitrang » September 25th, 2018, 11:44 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 8:01 am
mattcitrang wrote:
Thanks for the reminder, Matt! I need to assemble a searchable query for that so I can post a quick link, otherwise you can go to 'quick links', 'members', 'find a member' and choose the group BerserkerBusiness for a full list - I want to make a one-click link and will let you know when I have it
That’s good so far.
Next question. Many of these but Berserker businesses do not have a link or identification to the business that they belong affiliated with. A Berserker business should display the company’s name.
I find that confusing not being able to look that up.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#227 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 25th, 2018, 11:53 am

mattcitrang wrote:
September 25th, 2018, 11:44 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 8:01 am
mattcitrang wrote:
That’s good so far.
Next question. Many of these but Berserker businesses do not have a link or identification to the business that they belong affiliated with. A Berserker business should display the company’s name.
I find that confusing not being able to look that up.
Unfortunately not all have followed directions and made the most of their memberships, by adding their business name and hyperlink in their signature...I might have to go do it FOR them

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#228 Post by Steve Gautier » September 25th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Before the update you could look at all the retailers or all the wineries by category.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#229 Post by SeanHarding » September 26th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Is anyone else getting logged out about once a week? I'm seeing it across all my browsers and computers. I see that the cookies are set to expire after 1 year, but something is causing me to have to re-login every few days (I haven't been keeping strict track of time, but it feels like it's roughly weekly).

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#230 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 26th, 2018, 2:26 pm

SeanHarding wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 2:12 pm
Is anyone else getting logged out about once a week? I'm seeing it across all my browsers and computers. I see that the cookies are set to expire after 1 year, but something is causing me to have to re-login every few days (I haven't been keeping strict track of time, but it feels like it's roughly weekly).
I've never been logged out, and haven't received reports of it, but your browser cache probably has conflicting cookies on the site, so clear the cache (at least just for this site) and let the secure certificate re-establish itself in the cookie, you'll be good to go

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#231 Post by Blake Brown » September 27th, 2018, 10:51 am

SeanHarding wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 2:12 pm
That's happen to me as well in about the same time span. Will try clearing the cache for this site as Todd suggests if it keeps happening.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#232 Post by alan weinberg » October 7th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Getting logged out every single time on iPhone but not on iPad. Can’t figure it out. Wasn’t happening the first two weeks of new forum.

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#233 Post by SeanHarding » October 8th, 2018, 2:03 pm

I cleared cache and all cookies on my computers, and it still logs me out every once in a while. Not every time, though. It's a little bit annoying, but I can live with it.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#234 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 8th, 2018, 2:04 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 6:43 pm
Getting logged out every single time on iPhone but not on iPad. Can’t figure it out. Wasn’t happening the first two weeks of new forum.
Nothing has changed at all on the forum software since the refresh, so it's got to be a cache/cookies issue or perhaps your browser updated its software?

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#235 Post by alan weinberg » October 14th, 2018, 11:49 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 2:04 pm
alan weinberg wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 6:43 pm
Nothing has changed at all on the forum software since the refresh, so it's got to be a cache/cookies issue or perhaps your browser updated its software?
how do I fix?

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#236 Post by alan weinberg » October 29th, 2018, 7:57 pm

still get logged off iPhone. How to fix?

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#237 Post by Todd F r e n c h » October 29th, 2018, 8:34 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 7:57 pm
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-clea ... gies-inc-/

Google to the rescue!

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#238 Post by alan weinberg » October 31st, 2018, 8:47 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 8:34 pm
alan weinberg wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 7:57 pm
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-clea ... gies-inc-/

Google to the rescue!
you the man!

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#239 Post by NickRut » November 12th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Why are some PMs in my outbox instead of sent?
Rutkowski

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#240 Post by David Glasser » November 13th, 2018, 6:23 am

Because they haven't been read yet by the recipient. They show in your Outbox until read.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#241 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 15th, 2018, 10:13 am

NickRut wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 6:34 pm
Why are some PMs in my outbox instead of sent?
A quick search for 'outbox' in the search bar nets hundreds of answers [snort.gif]

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#242 Post by NickRut » November 15th, 2018, 10:54 am

Whelp... apparently I’m slow. Sorry gang. Thanks for the help lol
Rutkowski

Return to “Wine Talk”