Do you have questions on any of the new features? Ask here! (Also some instructions inside)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Do you have questions on any of the new features? Ask here! (Also some instructions inside)

#1 Post by c fu » August 13th, 2018, 8:57 am

There will be a search button don't worry. Also if it's in your outbox it just means the person hasn't seen it. There might still be some bugs, so if you notice one, please let us know!
  1. A notification system has been added. You can see it on the top right, there's a little bell. You can quick link to settings from that tab. The thing I like the most is you're now notified if you're quoted in a thread. As close to tagging a user as we can get.
  2. search is streamlined up top in the very top right of the page. Shadow box, the settings button allows for more indepth search.
  3. you can create a smartfeed for your RSS reader. top left of the page.
  4. Quick links on the top left provides a quick drop menu with new posts etc.
  5. Media tab allows you to link instagram, facebook, twitter etc. Private accounts might not link. Just click the tab and insert the link inside the brackets
  6. List tab for numbers or ABC order - each line you want to use after starting the list tab, you add [ * ] (ignore the spaces). It'll create the followup number or letter. You can see exactly how it works by quoting my post and looking at the text
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

J a y H a c k

Re: Do you have questions on any of the new features? Ask here!

#2 Post by J a y H a c k » August 13th, 2018, 9:02 am

Why won't it accept the Remember Me button so I do not have to log on each time?
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

J a y H a c k

#3 Post by J a y H a c k » August 13th, 2018, 9:02 am

Do the goyim know the meaning of the word "Ungepatchka?" Because it accurately described the new site.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#4 Post by c fu » August 13th, 2018, 9:03 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 9:02 am
Why won't it accept the Remember Me button so I do not have to log on each time?
That's an error with the certificate right now. Since it's not a "secure" site it won't save your log in. Todd is working on the SSL certification so you won't have that issue. We'll be going back to the old site link site soon enough.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#5 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 9:18 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
Once the SSL is installed (we'll let you know) the cookies will be set to 'secure' as well, so it will be right back to memorizing you...your current cache/cookies are conflicting with the new ones, which is why there might be extra logging in for a day or so. Once SSL is back, it will be gone.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Do you have questions on any of the new features? Ask here! (Also some instructions inside)

#6 Post by Brian Tuite » August 13th, 2018, 9:33 am

Image tag doesn’t work with my hosting service. imgbb.com Just leaves a link on the page.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2018 WOTY...
2014 Carter Cellars Wietz

Mark C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Mark C » August 13th, 2018, 9:39 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
Do the goyim know the meaning of the word "Ungepatchka?" Because it accurately described the new site.
Better ungepatchka than farkakte!
[cheers.gif]

Mark Cћамρηeγ

Wine Berserkers, “delight of the incapable and insignificant"!

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.” — Jay Bylsma

“Mark; I’ll surrender the argument.” Gordon Fitz

aka Frabjous/CT

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Re: Do you have questions on any of the new features? Ask here! (Also some instructions inside)

#8 Post by c fu » August 13th, 2018, 9:40 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 9:33 am
Image tag doesn’t work with my hosting service. imgbb.com Just leaves a link on the page.

worked for me with the img tag.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Brian Tuite » August 13th, 2018, 9:53 am

c fu wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 9:40 am
Brian Tuite wrote:

I guess I was hoping I didn’t have to resize them first since the resizeableimage tag was gone.
Thanks!

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

2018 WOTY...

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#10 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 9:58 am

Resizable image was only needed on the old software, not new.

FYI, we'll have some tips in here but when everything's finished we'll have a master thread for 'how to' on some of the new features
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#11 Post by c fu » August 13th, 2018, 9:58 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 9:53 am
c fu wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 9:40 am
Brian Tuite wrote:

I guess I was hoping I didn’t have to resize them first since the resizeableimage tag was gone.
Thanks!
hm. I don't know if you have to resize still. I think the img tag is dynamic now and adjusts. Lemme know if it's otherwise. Try using IMGUR as your upload service, you can then direct link through the media tab.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#12 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 10:03 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
Can you post what you see when you try? Leave it 'broken' or whatever so I can take a look at the URL, etc

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Steve Gautier » August 13th, 2018, 10:22 am

I did have to resize my avatar when I just changed it.
Good wine is a necessity of life. - Thomas Jefferson

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#14 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 10:24 am

Steve Gautier wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:22 am
What size was your avatar? I thought I had the same settings - 200X200 pixels

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Steve Gautier » August 13th, 2018, 10:29 am

I changed mine and the picture was bigger than 200x200. Didn’t know if the comment above on resizing was applicable to avatars as well.

BTW, I love the new notification alert.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Brian Tuite » August 13th, 2018, 10:35 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:03 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
Can you post what you see when you try? Leave it 'broken' or whatever so I can take a look at the URL, etc
I already fixed it. When I originally added the links I got the “Images cannot exceed 1024 pixels in height” message.

Like this:

2018 WOTY...

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Mark Y » August 13th, 2018, 10:47 am

Is there an easy way to attach photos from mobile (iphone)? desktop drag is awesome, how to replicate that UX from mobile?
Y.e.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Blake Brown » August 13th, 2018, 10:50 am

Steve Gautier wrote:
Since my previous avatar is no longer showing, does that mean I have to reinstall and resize it?
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#19 Post by c fu » August 13th, 2018, 10:54 am

Mark Y wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:47 am
Is there an easy way to attach photos from mobile (iphone)? desktop drag is awesome, how to replicate that UX from mobile?
you can still add attachments. I still recommend uploading images to IMGUR and direct linking. Much higher quality photos
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#20 Post by c fu » August 13th, 2018, 10:55 am

Blake Brown wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:50 am
Steve Gautier wrote:
Since my previous avatar is no longer showing, does that mean I have to reinstall and resize it?
prob dont' have to resize, but you need to re-add
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Blake Brown » August 13th, 2018, 10:58 am

Just attempted to edit my profile and got this: "The name you entered is not a valid Jabber account name." What to do?
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Steve Gautier » August 13th, 2018, 11:06 am

Drag and drop on iPad using split screen is neat although it sometimes is hard to get in between the two media brackets.

[media]]

Mark C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Mark C » August 13th, 2018, 11:07 am

The DB seems MUCH faster.
[cheers.gif]

Mark Cћамρηeγ

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.” — Jay Bylsma

aka Frabjous/CT

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#24 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 11:10 am

Mark C wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 11:07 am
The DB seems MUCH faster.
It's insane. When I post it instantly goes to the last post, the one I just made, which is amazing, but also annoying, because then I have to scroll up or click back 3 times to get back to 'new posts'!

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Brian Tuite » August 13th, 2018, 11:10 am

Steve Gautier wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 11:06 am
Drag and drop on iPad using split screen is neat although it sometimes is hard to get in between the two media brackets.

[media]]
Drag and drop the link then highlight it and click the media tag.

2018 WOTY...

Steve Gautier
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Steve Gautier » August 13th, 2018, 11:17 am

Thanks Brian

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#27 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:35 am
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:03 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
I already fixed it. When I originally added the links I got the “Images cannot exceed 1024 pixels in height” message.

Like this:

Found the setting for that - just unsure how big we WANT the images on here, as if we go full size, it's going to adjust the whole browser window.

I'll amp it up to the native size of iPhone 4, iPad 3 - 1936 wide by 2592 high

Mark C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Mark C » August 13th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Does anyone else find the little circular icons on the right of every topic/thread in a forum page irritating in the way that many/most/all (any, really) of them are animated and move?

And, why do some move and not others?

And, am I correct that the little black dot at about 10 O’clock on the circular icon indicates that you have posted on that topic/thread?
[cheers.gif]

Mark Cћамρηeγ

aka Frabjous/CT

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#29 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Mark C wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 1:40 pm
Does anyone else find the little circular icons on the right of every topic/thread in a forum page irritating in the way that many/most/all (any, really) of them are animated and move?

And, am I correct that the little black dot at about 10 O’clock on the circular icon indicates that you have posted on that topic/thread?
I found out why - those that are animated are 'hot' topics as well - with a post count above 20, I believe. That's to get your attention that a hot topic has some new posts, so you better quit working and being productive because there's a new post in a hot topic!!! flirtysmile

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#30 Post by c fu » August 13th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Mark C wrote:

Yep. Means you’ve posted
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Rick Bollig
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Rick Bollig » August 13th, 2018, 2:35 pm

The font size has become very small when viewing on my iPad Pro. Is there a way to restore it to the old view or at least adjust the fonts? Thanks.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by RichardFlack » August 13th, 2018, 2:40 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
What's a goyim? :)

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Poppy Davis » August 13th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 2:03 pm
Mark C wrote:

I found out why - those that are animated are 'hot' topics as well - with a post count above 20, I believe. That's to get your attention that a hot topic has some new posts, so you better quit working and being productive because there's a new post in a hot topic!!! flirtysmile
So, is there any way to turn that off, because it's super annoying.
Poppy Davis Fruchtman, formerly ITB

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#34 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Poppy Davis wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 2:47 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 2:03 pm
Mark C wrote:

So, is there any way to turn that off, because it's super annoying.
Not sure - try User Control Panel, Display Options

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#35 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 3:04 pm

All you blind folk (the font is the same size it was on the prior software, just a slightly different font design) can now make the font as LARGE AS YOU WANT!!! Simply go to User Control Panel, Board Preferences, and in Edit Global Settings, you have instant magnification - this will be saved just for you, so you can have it Large Print Edition anytime you access it. ('Would you prefer the font to be larger?' is the setting)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 3.02.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 3.02.40 PM.png (37.42 KiB) Viewed 2184 times

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#36 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 3:11 pm

I've removed the animated 'view new posts' for 'hot' topics by disabling the forum's function of measuring 'hot' topics. Now they are all static images.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by K John Joseph » August 13th, 2018, 3:18 pm

I've lost my user Avatar. Any way to get that bad boy back in play? It's how I recognize my own posts and I've never changed it. What will people think if they see me posting and my avatar is not Two Buck Chuck being intimidated by a brace of 97 Montelena Estate and some Kapscandy? I'll have to think of something clever and creative (extremely difficult for me) that is not to pretentious or obscure, that is a little funny but not absurd, like a picture of an internet friend riding a bicycle or an edited pic of me commenting about Jura. Maybe I'll chug a double mag of mouton, but I don't have one so it'd be something like a double mag of Roederer Estate and instead of Manhattan it'll be a Dallas suburb so even less interesting...

Save me, gents.
J0hn-J-K4ne

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by lleichtman » August 13th, 2018, 3:19 pm

RichardFlack wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 2:40 pm
J a y H a c k wrote:
What's a goyim? :)
Not kidding are you. Goyim are non-Jews and ungepatchka means too fancy or ornate.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Poppy Davis » August 13th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 3:11 pm
I've removed the animated 'view new posts' for 'hot' topics by disabling the forum's function of measuring 'hot' topics. Now they are all static images.
Much better...thank you!
Poppy Davis Fruchtman, formerly ITB

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Alan Rath » August 13th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Poppy Davis wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 3:32 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 3:11 pm
Much better...thank you!
I think this is better also. I get why they were animated, but silencing them makes it a more comfortable read.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#41 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 3:38 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 3:18 pm
I've lost my user Avatar. Any way to get that bad boy back in play? It's how I recognize my own posts and I've never changed it. What will people think if they see me posting and my avatar is not Two Buck Chuck being intimidated by a brace of 97 Montelena Estate and some Kapscandy? I'll have to think of something clever and creative (extremely difficult for me) that is not to pretentious or obscure, that is a little funny but not absurd, like a picture of an internet friend riding a bicycle or an edited pic of me commenting about Jura. Maybe I'll chug a double mag of mouton, but I don't have one so it'd be something like a double mag of Roederer Estate and instead of Manhattan it'll be a Dallas suburb so even less interesting...

Save me, gents.
You can have this one
Attachments
avatarAlfama.jpg (13.73 KiB) Viewed 2121 times

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 13th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Is there a way to adjust the font size? Too small for these old eyes
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#43 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 3:46 pm
7 posts up.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 13th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 3:55 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
7 posts up.
I mean on the phone, sorry.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#45 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 3:57 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 3:55 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
7 posts up.
I mean on the phone, sorry.
Again, same post

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 13th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Thx. So you can't make an election for each device; if you increase font size on the phone, it applies to the desktop/laptop too. Not a serious issue (easy to shrink on the bigger screen)

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#47 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:03 pm
Thx. So you can't make an election for each device; if you increase font size on the phone, it applies to the desktop/laptop too. Not a serious issue (easy to shrink on the bigger screen)
Yes, it's your USER setting, so whenever you are logged in, it takes your settings, whether that's non-zoomed or zoomed. The mobile site is a dynamically sized version of the 'actual' desktop forum, so we get all the features, avatars (never had those), etc

PeterJ

#48 Post by PeterJ » August 13th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Thanks for all the hard work and the new goodies I’ve yet to find. Just one question: I used to check the main board list to see the date and time of the last post on each board before entering it (to avoid going on that board and finding the last post(s) to be something I’ve already read). I’m not seeing that date & time now on my iPhone but it IS there in the far right column on my PC. Is this something that is fixable? Or am I hallucinating that it used to be there?
Peter J@ckel

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#49 Post by Todd F r e n c h » August 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm

PeterJ wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:30 pm
Thanks for all the hard work and the new goodies I’ve yet to find. Just one question: I used to check the main board list to see the date and time of the last post on each board before entering it (to avoid going on that board and finding the last post(s) to be something I’ve already read). I’m not seeing that date & time now on my iPhone but it IS there in the far right column on my PC. Is this something that is fixable?
On iPhone it says right below every thread title who made the last post, and when, including time.

PeterJ

#50 Post by PeterJ » August 13th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm
PeterJ wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 4:30 pm
Thanks for all the hard work and the new goodies I’ve yet to find. Just one question: I used to check the main board list to see the date and time of the last post on each board before entering it (to avoid going on that board and finding the last post(s) to be something I’ve already read). I’m not seeing that date & time now on my iPhone but it IS there in the far right column on my PC. Is this something that is fixable?
On iPhone it says right below every thread title who made the last post, and when, including time.
Yes. But I’m pretty sure I used to see that on the main board index too...... BEFORE entering a board.
Peter J@ckel

Return to “Wine Talk”