Rainy Saturday TNs: Three Nebbioli

• 1993 Elio Altare Langhe Nebbiolo Vigna Arborina - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (8/11/2018)
    A few shades lighter in the glass than the '05 Porro. Interesting nose, and not one that I would necessarily associate with nebbiolo - wood spice (no doubt due to the barrique) and menthol.

This isn’t bad on the palate - primarily red fruits, good persistence, maybe less acidity than I look for, but otherwise not bad. I like the taste here better than the nose, but all in, at 25 years of age, fairly enjoyable.

• 1994 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Cascina Francia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (8/11/2018)
    The lightest colored of the three wines tonight. Lovely nose - red fruits, menthol, a little tar and a touch of funk - kind of covers the bases here.

Light-bodied, with a drying edge. Still, given the vintage, not bad. I like it, and would posit that this is likely to be as good as it will ever get, although as long as you don’t mind that dab of unresolved tannin, well-stored bottles probably have another decade of life left.

• 2005 Guido Porro Barolo Vigna S. Caterina - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (8/11/2018)
    Translucent ruby in the glass; this is from a bottle I opened for dinner last night, and today I’m getting a raisined note on the nose that I didn’t observe on day 1.

On the palate, simply delicious. Seamless, harmonious, good length & acidity - really a pleasure to drink right now, and I liked it even better last night, where it held it’s own against a '98 Giacosa Falletto.

If you have this in the cellar, check out a bottle.

Posted from CellarTracker