QPR Benchmark wines

Let’s make a list of some of the best values in wine that would be considered benchmarks for either its varietal or blends if the value is an appellation. Im always interested in trying the best wines from regions which may be under the radar. Although there may be some disagreement as to an absolute best individual wine throw out some examples of some of the QPR benchmarks in the wine world.

I doubt anything beats Pepierre muscadet but there must be some other screaming values out there in other regions that are just off the radar of the masses.

For my tastes Donnhoff’s Niederhauser Hermannshohle Spatlese is the best QPR I can think of at its price point or higher. Admittedly its more expensive than many of its peers.

It’s certainly not under the radar, but it is a benchmark for its grape and region.

Fun topic. For Chateauneuf du Pape I would nominate Coudoulet de Beaucastel. Riesling: Donnhoff’s plain “Riesling” and “Riesling Trocken” (with the added benefit that these are under screwcap).

Tried the Coudoulet de Beaucastel a few weeks ago. Totally agree.

• Paolo Saracco Moscato d’Asti

• Zardetto Prosecco

I wish I knew of a benchmark Chianti, at the $14.99 pricepoint [or even the $19.99 pricepoint], with as wide of a distribution as Saracco & Zardetto.

Unfortunately, having now tasted the Agostina Pieri Brunello, I don’t know whether I’ll ever again be able to enjoy a $14.99 Sangiovese.

for me

Alban Patrina
Quilceda Creek CVR
MCK Syrah
CS Cabernet
Mollydooker Maitre D
Mollydooker The Boxer
Mollydooker 2 Left Feet
Mollydooker Cabernet
anything red poured out of a white carafe while dining in Italy

As this thread develops it will be interesting to see how many are small / artisanal producers and how many are large scale operations. My guess is the latter will dominate.

A related list would be categories / regions (e.g. Cru Beaujolais sine the mid aughts) where there are very many good QPR wines.

Some whites …
Dr L Riesling
Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia Blanco
Drouhin-Vaudon (basic) Chablis
Duran Gran Reserva Cava

Lopez tondonia red

Produtorri for Barbaresco

Justin Cabernet
Mondavi Cabernet
almost any NZ Sauv Blanc

Justin is not a Benchmark for CS outside of any category other than “Paso CS.”

For CA field blend Marietta Old Vine Red is a great QPR.

im surprised this took 8 posts. produttori takes the prize for QPR benchmarks for me.

another vote for Marietta OVR, also for Donnhoff’s Reisling 101

Though there are several different expressions of zin, Bedrock Old Vine Zinfandel does it for me.

Marcel Lapierre

Actually that would be Langhe Nebbiolo from Produttori for sterling QPR! :slight_smile:

especially the last couple vintages!

Thivin

Baudry
Dirty & Rowdy
Paul Pernot
Prum