Cure For Cork taint?

I hope so but…

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2018/08/finally-a-cure-for-cork-taint?h=1

That would be great!

Yay. Cork producers have acknowledged that there may be a problem but now they’ve solved it and people will continue using cork because it’s the best possible closure. All you have to do is ignore all engineering and scientific advances since 1624 . . .

Corks where a great technical innovation when the alternative was an oily rag.

What about the romantic spinning of the roulette wheel to see if your wine is corked??? Won’t people miss the romance? :wink:

Great. After I have collected 1,500 wines, NOW they find a fix. Hope this is not like the Coravin hype. The fact there is insurance is interesting. Someone believes in the product. Gotta believe the 12-15 euro costs will eventually come down a bit.

Thought this was another Larry Schaffer screw cap thread. :wink:

Next question: Will producers, importers, distributors and retailers stand behind wines sealed with these guaranteed corks, even if they show TCA years after release?

Funny guy . . . :wink:

You mean using saran wrap isn’t the final solution???

Amorim corks…hard to remove, hard to love.

:wink:

That sounds nice, but the cork industry has lied to us so many times that I have trouble believing it at this point.

Reductive reasoning. :wink:

Many other cork suppliers have been offering similar services. Cork Supply was the first (I believe) with trained human “sniffers” (more complex then that); now they offer a human process and/or mechanical testing. Portocork and Laffitte also offer individual cork analysis processes. All of these cost an up charge around $0.12-$0.18/cork.

These services have been offered for many years now.

That cost for cork seems really low. Is this for guaranteed no TCA? I was under the understanding that the cost was much higher per cork.

My suggestion is that screwcapped wines come with a cork attached. Then winelovers who miss the romance of pulling a cork out of the bottle can remove the screwcap and replace it with the cork.

To get the full romantic experience, after the corks are guaranteed free of TCA, a predetermined proportion of them could be randomly infected.

Sounds expensive. Even better!!

Good. One of the great things about wine is that it’s one of the only products I can buy which is relatively recyclable and sustainable and not covered in plastic crap. I’d rather have a cork which fails 1% of the time than a screwcap which doesn’t.

Get rid of the capsules (or at least make them pure tin) and then you’d really have a bottle fit for the 21st century.

Oy!

I haven’t found my Coravin to a cure for TCA. Maybe someone else has. Have tried the saran wrap trick several times with mixed results.