UK credited with creating Champagne as we know it ?

I was watching the film " a year in Champagne" and i had no idea that it was the British who really made Champagne as we know it today. In the 19th century the French had a small production of very sweet sparkling wine. The part i was unclear on was how they said at that time the basic raw wine was exported to UK in barrels then bottled in the UK, I always assumed that the whole bottling ( riddling ) process took place prior to the aging process for a NV style bottle, the exception being recently disgorged premium bottles now appearing.

So did Champagne get exported to UK in barrels and then get bottled, riddled, disgorged then aged during the 19th century ?

Bordeaux and Port too.

:smiley:

Initially fizzy Champagne just happened. In the 17th century, the British first documented the process of adding sugar to get the 2nd fermentation, and at the same time they were also making stronger glass bottles, so I think back then some merchants must have been tinkering around making fizzy wine, but it was hardly Champagne production “as we know it now”.

But in answer to your specific question about the 19th century - no.