TN: 2012 Salmon Champagne Special Club

2012 Salmon Champagne Special Club - France, Champagne (8/6/2018)

Purchased for $45. 290 cases made. 100% Pinot Meunier from Chaumuzy in the Ardre Valley. No dosage. This is the 4th Special Club vintage for this producer. I had the 2009 and it was very good. Clear white color. For being a no dose wine, this did not taste that dry which probably speaks to the ripeness of the grapes. Notes of citrus, minerals and bosc pear. Well balanced. A very focused Champagne which will continue to improve as it is still very youthful. 94 points.

VM

Is this from Billecart-Salmon? If not, I’m not familiar with this producer. I am a huge fan of ‘Special Club’ Champagnes, who is the importer?

It’s not from billecart. Last bottle sold a lot of these. Nice bubbly.

Michael is right. Not Billecart and this wine was purchased at Last Bottle. I visited this estate back in 2013. Here are my notes and some info from back then:

This was the last of the 3 Pinot Meunier dominated houses that we visited on our first day visiting the Champagne region. This grower/producer is located in the town of Chaumuzy which is tucked away in the Ardre Valley which is off the beaten track. It is West of the Montagne de Riems and North of the Marne Valley. Stylistically, the wines from this house and the region have more in common with the Marne Valley. This house owns 10ha of vines of which over half are rented out to other growers. 80% of their vines are Pinot Meunier. The symbol of the house (displayed as a sculpture in front of the winery and on their labels) is a hot air ballon since many members of the family are balloon pilots.

We met with 80 year old Michel Salmon who started this estate in 1958 with his Son, Alexandre. Winemaking is now handled by Alexandre and his Son, Olivier, who is making a name for himself as an up and coming young winemaker. Michel had a compelling story to tell. His parents were grape growers. His Father was killed in WWII when he was 11. In his first vintage in 1958, Michel made 500 bottles. Today they make 100,000 bottles. In 2008, this house joined the Club Tressors de Champagne (Special Club producers) and will be releasing their first Special Club (the 2008 vintage) in the next year or so. All their wine comes from their own vines and are made in their own winery. They have received some very good scores and reviews from the Guide Hachette. I do not believe they ship any wine to the US but do export to other EU countries.

Here are my notes on the wines we tried:

NV Salmon Champagne Réserve Brut - France, Champagne (10/8/2013)
Tasted at the winery. This is the base wine of the house. 100% Pinot Meunier from the 2009 and 2010 vintages with some reserve wines. Clear white color. Very grapey with sweet red fruit notes upfront and apple and strawberry on the finish. A soft wine with a light bead. 89 points.

NV Salmon Champagne Brut Prestige - France, Champagne (10/8/2013)
We bought a bottle of this at the winery for $27 and opened it during our trip. 50% Chardonnay, 25% Pinot Meunier and Pinot Noir from the 2007 and 2008 vintages. This wine received 1 star from the Hachette guide. Thin bubbles with a crisp bead. A nose of wafers and hay. Focused and pure. Notes of orange zest and croissants. Stylish finesse on the finish. 92 points.

NV Salmon Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (10/8/2013)
Tasted at the winery. 100% Pinot Meunier from the 2009 and 2010 vintages. This get 24 hours of skin contact and 15% red wine added. A pinkish orange color. Interesting nutmeg aromas on the nose. Medium bodied. Moderately dry with notes of raspberry and black currants. Creamy finish. 89 points.

NV Salmon Champagne Brut Cuvée A.S. - France, Champagne (10/8/2013)
Tasted at the winery. This is their top cuvee which they have only been making since 2005. Although this is NV the grapes for this bottle came entirely from the 2006 vintage. 50% Chardonnay and 50% Pinot Noir aged in oak barrels for 6 months. It is their only wine that does not include Pinot Meunier and received 1 star from Hachette. AS refers to Alexandre Salmon’s initials and AS also means Ace in French which tilts at the family’s history as hot air balloon pilots. A serious champagne. Moderate bead. Heavier feel with notes of lemon zest, biscuit, fresh dough and a woody component. a deep and complex wine. I bought one for $52. 93+ points."

Since my visit they have started shipping some wines to the US. I believe that Salmon and Mousse are the only 2 Special Club producers that make 100% Pinot Meunier Special Club bottlings.

VM

I bought some of the 2011 Champagne Salmon Special Club from BPW and from the looks of the back label, they self imported it.