2010 Williams Selyem Rochioli Riverblock Pinot Noir

2010 WILLIAMS SELYEM RIVERBLOCK VINEYARD RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY PINOT NOIR- I pulled this to get a read on where it is in order to determine when to open the remaining bottles; anticipating that it is still young, rich, full bodied and worthy, I poured it into a Riedel Sommeleir Burgundy stem that I reserve for wines that are big enough to not get overwhelmed by this magnificent large bowl stem; it performed beautifully; it is young, rich and full bodied as well as redolent of intense and concentrated red raspberry that is accented by spice, talc and cinnamon; the stem allowed for the wine to open up and expand early on and in time, the red raspberry moved on into black raspberry; this is delicious at this stage now, but has so much going on and nice acidity to suggest this should be a real treat 15-20 years down the road.

I think back to all of the wonderful RB Pinots I’ve had from Burts days up to and including 97 and this actually can hold its own with those.

Cheers,
Blake
fullsizeoutput_1df6.jpeg

The Grand Cru of California pinot!

I opened up the 04 on Friday night and was stunned at how young it’s drinking. I love the nose on these wines.

Great note for a great wine!

I really share your love for their wines.

Thank you the note. I am a fan of their wines.

Great to hear about the 04` as I have it on hold for another few years. Decant or not?

Agreed the 04 is drinking very well.

Blake: 3-4 hour slow ox is my usually protocol for W-S 10 years or older. That’s what l last did with the 04 RRB and worked a treat.

Thanks for the note on the 2010, probably won’t look at for another couple of years.

Thanks for the decant direction Clayton. I usually do something close to that for these wines although the 10` was pulled and poured albeit in a stem that allowed for rapid oxidation while drinking slowly.

I did what Clayton suggests. Worked out great. I also have an 04 Allen on tap as well … the Beze to the Rochioli if you will! [cheers.gif]

I’m in on the 3-4 hour slow ox. Thanks guys

Anyone opened any '06 Rochioli’s Riverblock’s or '06 Allen’s lately? Looking at scooping up the Rochioli, maybe the Allen as well.

Blake:

Any read on Burt as to whether he’ll produce another wine from Morning Dew Ranch, or is he done for sure? Also, have you had Margie’s version of the wine from her dad’s property? Do you like it?

Thx,

Barry

Barry, Burt retired for good after the 09 MDR release, sold the ranch a couple of years later and now is struggling with some advanced issues of Parkinsons. Margie has her own health issues and is retiring as a result. Not good.

Yes, Ive had her version of the MDR many times referred to as My Fathers Vineyard and loved every bottle. The fruit profile is more typical for the overall vineyard representing the darker fruit profile of Pinot Noir= black cherry/ berry. I’m also a fan of Chris Whitcraft`s MDR Pinots that are also site specific and showing well now.

I’m drinking her 99-01 Pinots now and seeing how beautifully they have evolved with many years of viability ahead.

Its been almost a year since I had either and both were really good with a lot of maturation room left to go. They are both winners and worth whatever you can find them for IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback Blake, I was hoping someone like yourself with the tasting experience with the WS portfolio would chime in! Really sorry to hear about Burt’s health condition with Parkinson’s that is very sad. I hope for some improved quality of life for him and that his daughter Margi’s health improves.

Blake,

Crap. I’m sorry to hear that news. If you see Burt, please remind him that his fans are thinking of him.

Barry

Great comment Barry. I`ll be sure to do that. The good news with Burt is his mental clarity is still brilliant. He still has that steel trap memory and can recite vintage and crop specifics from the 80s and 90s as clearly as always.