They're havin' a heat wave

Forecast high temperatures for the next five days:

Bordeaux - 98,98,99,96,83
Beaune - 96,95,96,98,92

Any word on the likely impact to the vineyards?

Napalike?

I am fed up with the heat. Can’t go out in the afternoon, comfortably, most days. Days on end.

The good news is that I have had very, very few berries affected by sunburn. Depends what kind of trellising you have. Mine is tall, quadrilateral, big and top heavy. This year, it is serving my vineyard well. One row over, at my neighbor’s, the sunburn breaks my heart. He has a modified cane trained system. Noon sun is a killer for exposed fruit. Those outside rows. But he has 180 acres and I have less than one.

My vineyard troubles don’t stem from sunburn, typically, as long as my spraying company knows what they are doing. And they do, with a bit of guidance. They do a great job. One year another company sprayed whatever and it got too hot. Took out at least 10-20% of the fruit.

I was in Burgundy a couple of weeks ago and they are expecting an early harvest - one person suggested maybe as early as the end of August.

Gives new meaning to “Roasted Slope”.

Portugal, 105F+. No AC.

Hmm. It’s like the planet is getting hotter or something.

Can you say 2003 [wow.gif]

At my location on the Monterey Peninsula, I’ve experienced 3-4 days of low 80s and around 8-12 days of low/mid 70s (FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR). It is really quite a cool micro climate we have in this area…

TTT

But a bigger crop!

Please. “The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.”

you mean MORE non-competitive. neener

Southern Europe has the same weather as last summer’s “Lucifer” heatwave which lasted for several months. We saw 110 in Bologna. Nearly every day for 3 weeks was 97-105 in Barcelona, the Riviera, Venice and Florence; brutal redux.
Get used to more extremes wherever you live. Grapes may become one of our smallest concerns.
What hath man wrought? Who stood by while we self extinguished? The Dumbest Generation?!?

Rolland is in nirvana, says his lush but balanced Bordeaux cuvees will push 16% natural alcohol, smoothed out by 200% French new oak.

With this heat, soon there won’t be any oak trees left for Rolland to go to 11 with (silver lining to global warming?).

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

Does it usually rain at times in Burgundy and/or Bordeaux during the summer ???

Those temps won’t cause any problems there, as long as they stay somewhat humid. Unlike here, they retain humidity there much better in heat waves. It’s low humidity that causes the worse issues rather than heat.

BUT, I’m not a grape (Miami) !

At my winery (Granada, Spain) the forecast is 90, 91, 91, 91, 89 perfect…