The Best California Chardonnay That You've Had In The Last 5 Years?

Not so much interested in that incredible bottle that you had back in 1978, (but you are certainly welcome to mention it if you should so desire) but rather wines that are out in the market now. And not particularly that one wow bottle, but a producer who consistently delivers what it is you are looking for in a California Chardonnay. Thanks.

2014 Kutch Santa Cruz Mountain, without a doubt. That wine is bee-yoo-tee-ful, and it shows that way every single time I have one open, so that gives me confidence in my post and belief, as well. I would also say the 2015 Rhys Alpine Santa Cruz Mountain I had last month was pretty spot on too, yet that wine has only performed well 1X, versus the 6X for Jamie’s chard.

• 2014 Kutch Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/29/2018)
    July 2018 Kutch Visit (Jaime’s Pad in SFO): This wine continues to be such a rock star of a Chardonnay. That lightly smoky aromatic of reduction, with a pure fruited lemon and honey palate, then the long, flinty finish. The core is citrus, tangerine and just pure. Still one of the best CA Chards I have ever tasted and it’s aging along beautifully.
  • 2014 Kutch Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (12/5/2017)
    This bottle is from my original July 2016 order (for my benefit here, as I have sourced some since then via Winebid). Opened this about an hour ago, just letting it get some slow ox and get a little colder for serving blind later. I suspect this will change in the next few hours but allow me to post this initial note for those who may want to open and enjoy a bottle without the benefit of air. The bottle at this stage is beautiful, with a flint/slate backbone that was prominent in my previous bottle from 2 months ago. Yellow apple and some reduction in the aromatic. The palate has a sexy mix of lime skin, a creamy-like lemon and apple. The finish is long, slatey and the acidity carries so well. A few hours later, we crushed right through this bottle over dinner as it continued to show all the acidity, flint and purity of the fruit. As I have said in past notes and comments about this wine, it’s a true CA gem of a chardonnay and in the elite for me of what Chard can do.
  • 2014 Kutch Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (9/24/2017)
    Today’s bottle was the best I have drank to date. Began with a toasted aromatic, evolved to a saline and lemon peel driven profile that had a lovely balance. The best Chard I have had in a glass for many months. This is for me about as good as Chard gets. Stunning.
  • 2014 Kutch Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/23/2017)
    This started off with some reduction, which blew off in the glass. Lemon, lime, medium weight, sexy. This has a lot of length through the finish, and continues to drink super.
  • 2014 Kutch Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (11/21/2016)
    Opened about 30 mins ago, getting better with air too as it gets some O2 love. Despite what some have said, there is some oak here but I call this out only to add some diversity to the notes. Just a hint of vanilla bean, a seasoning. Rocky, I can see the chalky comment that others are making, too. Yellow apple, lime. What grabs me in this bottle is all the intensity, the stuffing and yet there is nothing heavy here. It’s just kind of a clean energy that cuts right through the core of the wine. Finishes creamy, with the shading of oak again. After about an hour or so, we finished this over dinner, when I felt like the structure faded and the creamy, limey tones carried the finish. Enjoyed this a lot.
  • 2014 Kutch Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (2/20/2016)
    Opened for Falltacular, right into the glass. Beautiful, mixing lime skin, lemon light green apple and grapefruit. Minerally finish with medium weighted texture. I’m not sure what new oak may be applied to this but I don’t see it, at least it is not in the wine’s frame. What is here is plenty of energy and acidity fueling the finish. This is right up my alley, reminding me a lot of the Copain chards, with the crisp edge and purity. A+, Jamie.

Posted from CellarTracker

The 2012 Ceritas Heinz Vineyard is a great bottle of Chardonnay. Very fresh, lemon curd, brioche, with touches of pear and thyme. Excellent minerality with an acid driven backbone. Just a baby, young but delicious already.

Tom

My top four in no particular order:

2013 Hirsch Vineyard
2012 Arnot-Roberts Trout Gulch
2014 Ceritas Trout Gulch
2013 Ridge Vineyards Monte Bello

++++1

The Kutch 2014 SCM is the best Chard I have ever had from California. It is a different style of wine than Peter Michael, but I would put it up against a 94 Peter Michael Cuvee Indigene that I was absolutely floored by back in the day…

My wife threw me a 60th Birthday Party with a bunch of our friends a few months ago, and I raided my cellar for the occasion. We drank some good stuff (Kistler Silver Belt Pinot, 97 Insignia, 95 Pichon Lalande, Saxum, etc…), and the Kutch was the wine everyone was talking about…They kept asking me, “What is that”? “Where did you get it, can I buy some”? I told them that Jamie was long sold out of that wine, but at least he got a few new members on his mailing list…:slight_smile:

2009 Ramey Ritchie

2001 Kistler Dutton Ranch Chardonnay
2014 Kutch Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains

I have to go with Rhys. Have been converted to Chardonnay by Rhys and love em all. Bearwallow, Horseshoe and Anderson Valley, are all delicious.

Had to be a 2011 Mount Eden Estate and IMO seems like a consistently good producer. Second place would have to go to a 2012 Aubert Ritchie. Cheers!

2014 Kutch SCM. It really is that good.

2008 Ramey Hyde Vineyard Chardonnay from magnum in 2016.

Another vote for the 2014 Kutch Chardonnay SCM.

2007 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow from a mag about two months ago. Just gorgeous.

2014 Kutch Chard SCM
Numerous Ceritas Chards
Numerous Rhys Chards

Besides these producers, throw in a few Arcadian and Copain and that is pretty much all the chards I drink from CA.

5 years makes it tough.
Lots of Aubert 2004 Lauren, 2007 Ritchie, 2013 CIX.

Other than that . . . a winery not mentioned. I could tell you but then I would have to kill you

2010 Ramey Hyde - in the middle of some others more highly rated it was the most Burgundian.

2011 Ceritas Peter Martin Ray
2011 Flowers Camp Meeting Ridge
2008 Littorai Charles Heintz
2008 & 2010 Stony Hill
2014 White Rock
2007 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow
2010 Au Bon Climat Bien Nacido

Frank Murray III - Nice avatar!!! XXX

Not sure I can pinpoint a “best”, but Chards from Ceritas, Copain, and Rhys are the California wines I drink.

Marcassin Marcassin Marcassin
Followed closely by Peter Michael
Every year is a celebration of excellence.
Aubert is amazing also.
We drink a lot of Chardonnay.
Kistler was a previous favorite but Marcassin,Aubert and Peter Michael are our new favorites.

So many great wines it is hard to pick an absolute favorite.
Had a Aubert 2012 Ritchie tonight that was amazing.

Every Ceritas Porter Bass especially the 2010
2008 Littorai Heintz
2013 Arnot Roberts Trout Gulch