Wine From Passing

Ok So as title suggest I have obtained some wine due to a family member passing. I would love some help/ suggestions
on how to sell them as I am not going to drink them. I know they are some pretty great vintages. (list below) my problem is
located in Ontario it is very difficult to sell these privately. Another issue faced is the bottles were stored in a cellar but since getting them
they are just in a box so provenance is difficult. any help greatly appreciated.

2 - Chateau Margaux Premier Grande Cru Classe
2 - Chateau la Mission Haut-brion
1 - Le Pin Pomerol 2000
5 - Grand Vin de Chateau Latour
1 - Lafite Rothschild
3- Chateau Ausone Saint Emillion
4 - cheval blanc st emilion grand cru
2 - Petrus Pomerol 2001

This should be moved to wine talk not here.
You should also post the vintages of these wines. and upload pictures. There are folks on this board local to you that can advise how best to sell these. Keep them in a cool place (air conditioned) until you sell. Good luck nice inheritance
5 - Grand Vin de Chateau Latour
1 - Lafite Rothschild
3- Chateau Ausone Saint Emillion
4 - cheval blanc st emilion grand cru

Moving to Wine Talk

Thats appreciate the advice. Vintages are all 2000 except the petrus which is 2001. I have some pics I will upload later tonight. Bottles are in good shape a little smudging on a couple labels. Will take good pics of cap and wine level for people to make better judgement for themselves.

Where have the wines been kept? They are among the most cherished and expensive bordeaux wines. They will be worth a great deal if they have been properly stored. Indeed, they will be worth a lot even if they weren’t but it could make a big difference.

yes it matters is the cellar was passive or actively cooled.

Would still suggest drinking them as that is a nice remembrance.

so they were kept in a wine fridge that held about 48 bottles. They were slowly being consumed and these 20 are whats left. Currently they are being stored in my Air conditioned house (68F) in two wine boxes. How do I go about selling these?

https://www.klwines.com/SellYourWines

Your current conditions are not ideal

He’s in Ontario.

The one in Canada is better than the one in California, but it was in the 80s today in the former. Not really ideal, although over the short run not much of a concern. I can’t tell how long the wines have been there

No. I’m saying gonna be hard to get them to K&L

Ah. Good point. Not sure how one does this in Canada.

In Ontario, the LCBO auction is pretty much the only outlet. I don’t know if those are still held though

Post it here after you get enough post count… i’m sure there’s enough Ontario ballas here who will take them for a good enough price?

Road trip. (Chicago or New York aren’t that far away are they?)

Just a 5hr 20 min non stop flight from NY. great idea

As Mark says, get your post count up and offer here, or as Adrian suggests the LCBO online Auction via Waddingtons. You will do better financially via Waddington’s, but they take their cut and you have to wait, so dependant on your patience.

Don’t know what you want for them, but have no doubt you can get a better price locally than south of the border. Bordeaux is very $ here.

2-3 months in the upper 60s is not a concern for most wines, certainly not these.

You have quite a lot of money there- four figures per bottle for the most part. Given the sheer value and your lack of good long-term storage, I would get them to market as soon as you can. Provenance is a big concern these days, with good reason, and if you wait too much longer then some potential buyers might either pass or expect a lower price.

I have no idea what the Canada options are- but as you consider them, it could not hurt to do a little research on recent hammer prices at auction in the US. PM me if interested and I can point you in the right direction and show you how to use the search tools. I do appraise cellars as a sideline, but I do not charge to point someone with just a few bottles in the right direction to do their own research before selling on their own.

I’d say to reach out to the big auction houses (eg Hart Davis Hart in Chicago, Zachy’s or Acker Merrall in NY), see what they say, and just drive the bottles down to whomever is interested. Selling them one or two at a time here will test your patience.