Wine.com Bait & Switch

Need to get this off my chest, so I saw a listing for LdH Tondonia Rosado 2008 on wine.com. Placed an order, low and behold its the Tondonia Reserva 2005. Contacted them, and they offered 20 credit on future orders… I asked them to send me the wine, and its out of stock all of a sudden!

They say it was a warehouse mistake, I ordered a 2008 rose wine and they ship 2005 red, you’d have to be color blind or blind not to see these two mistakes.

Learned the hard way… never use them!

They should make it right…comp the order, or exchange at their expense.

That’s garbage. Sorry that happened to you, Gobindjit. I won’t do business with them. That’s like me ordering chicken off a menu at a restaurant and them coming out and serving me a steak, and then offering to give me $20 but not remake my meal.

Very unfortunate. I will say that I’ve used them a dozen times in the past, often to ship gifts to friends in other states, and they’ve been excellent in each instance. I’m sorry to hear about that mistake and hope they make it right.

I wouldn’t think much into it, does sound like a brain fart by one of the warehouse employees. I would expect them to comp that bottle and/or send you the correct one to make it right.

Given the specific wine involved in this case (the RLdH 2008 Tondonia Rose), I would be quite surprised (well, more like stunned…) if wine.com ever had any bottles in their warehouse available for purchase.

Go to wine-searcher and search for this one as broadly as you can (i.e. - all countries). In the non-pro version, you’ll find exactly one listing – and, if you go to that retailer site, it ain’t there either.

Perhaps there is a benign explanation, but I doubt it’s “the warehouse picked the wrong bottles”…

Is “Wine.com” the English translation of “Garagiste?”

It was likely just entered into the system wrong. The data entry person types in Tondonia and just selected the wrong one in the list. The warehouse people just pull the SKU and don’t know enough about reading a wine bottle to see that it’s not the correct wine. Mistakes like this can happen all the time when you are dealing with tons of SKUs. But it’s how the company deals with the mistake that is the real issue. $20 off on a future order is not okay at all. Call and ask to speak to a supervisor.

I tried being reasonable. The BIG problem is that I don’t live in the US, I had to import these to my country and pay the duties on it. If it was just a mistake fine, I understand then at least send me the correct bottles.

Suddenly it was “out of stock” when minutes before it was “in stock”. Ok fine, then I kindly asked if they could at least refund me the duties I paid on these bottles, about 120 dollars. They said no, they could either pick up the bottles in the US or I could get 20 dollar credit on a future purchase. I did ask for a supervisor, his reply was the same. Basically, if you can’t ship it back or want the 20 then there’s nothing we can do.

I would have asked for the name of his boss, then his bosses boss until someone could satisfy my demand. It was their mistake and they need to make amends for it.

If they are shipping overseas (if I read this correctly) they really should check the order carefully. This is a big fup and $20 doesn’t address the issue.

They will lose a lot more than $120 when people read this if they don’t make amends.

Send them the link to this thread.

Had an order yesterday for 2 bottles of Prager vintage port. He was real happy about the price of 84.99. I’m pulling the bottles and notice they are 89.99. Check our website and yep 84.99. We forgot to update that particular wine when the price went up. He gets it for the price on the website. Have had a call or two to confirm we have a wine that is listed on our website. Wine is gone and it wasn’t taken off the website. All I can do is apologize, there is no wine and I’m not sending you something else without conversation and agreement.

It’s just the two of us so you wouldn’t think this sort of stuff could happen. Imagine how hard it is to keep track in a business with say 50 employees, two locations and no point of sale system or a POS with controlled access and no direct “disconnect” with the website when sold out,

I can see this happening with the best and the worst retailers. The bigger they are the more problems. If they make good or try to make good on a legitimate mistake, I wouldn’t call it bait and switch. There are very good examples of bait and switch or business incompetence out there. Use Wine Searcher and check out the lower third pricing and see if they have it in stock. Notice the state too. You’ll have to do it on your own, I’m not going to point the finger.

I had a similar problem with them 15 or so years ago (they may have changed owners since then), with a similar unsatisfying resolution. A credit on a future order is worthless - why would you want to do business with them again?

No connection and I’ve never ordered from them but in their defense, Gobindjit got a better wine from a vastly better year. I’d take the credit and selectively order from them again, hoping for similar mistakes!

While this may be true, he received a cheaper, vastly more available wine. I myself would very much like some of this rose, but it simply is not around, and FWIW I would not order it from a less-than-known vendor without confirming first.

I would call the credit card company, dispute the charge.
If wine.com wants the wine back, they can pay to ship it and pick it up…

I’ve had this happen before (with another vendor), and that’s what I did

I use Wine.com often just because it’s easy and fast. I ordered a case of wine last summer and they accidentally delivered it in the AZ 110 heat. It arrived and I knew immediately the wine was ruined. I contacted them and without hesitation, they ended up giving me a new shipment in Nov of the same wines for free. I’ve had nothing but positive interactions with them!

A word of caution to Gobindjit, as well as anyone else who attempts to purchase the 2008 RLdH Rose via online source. I would recommend treating any online source that claims to have this wine available for sale with a very high level of skepticism. I have searched on a fairly regular periodic basis – and have yet to find any such offering where the retailer actually had any bottles of the wine in stock (or, more correctly, any retailer who - if they did have it - would admit it). In most cases, I eventually found an “out of stock” message in their online stores (and I suspect they’ve never had any of it available for online sale) or, the couple times I called to verify, the retailer confirmed the offering was in error.

Given all of the above, even if the retailer eventually confirmed they had it in stock and available for purchase online, I would still assume they don’t have it until seeing it in person. No retailer who has this, and knows what they have, would offer it online right now to random one-time purchasers.

That’s what I would do. You have an invoice for a wine, that’s what you paid for, that’s not what you received.

Not sure you can get the import duties back, but the credit card should be able to withhold money from the merchant.

Wine.com does not ship internationally, so the OP had it shipped to some place in the US before having it sent overseas. I think it was on the OP to check or have someone check the contents of the package before forwarding. If that had happened, it would have been found that the wine was incorrect and as the OP admitted, Wine.com offered to pick up the wine within the US.