aging Aubert Chardonnays?

First, Victor, welcome to the board! Hope we will see more posts from you as you get acclimatized.

I took the opportunity 6 years ago to do an Aubert Ritchie vertical–from 2002 to 2009. The 2002 and 2007 were my favourites, and I swear the 2002 was drinking akin to a Chevy Montrachet.

I don’t think I’ve had one older than the 10 years, and my feel is that the way they age may be very vintage-dependent.

Salud,

Mike

Strange, the OP is identical to mine from a thread a few months ago.

Have had the 2009 Ritchie, UV-SL & Larry Hyde recently.
All were exceptional. Their wines do age well.

That’s really odd.

Wow.

Amazing ‘coincidence.’

Plus, someone’s first post has nostalgia for a thread from February.

I am intrigued!

That’s weird AF. Is this an experiment?

popcorn in hand…

I have been thinking about this topic. Reevaluating my position. When I use the word “flipping”, I mean buying wine with the sole intent of reselling it for a profit. I admit that definition may be too narrow. For the wineries there are pros and cons of the practice.

Some of the cons:

Wines are not always protected and stored properly which would impact the final consumers perception of the wines.
Wines resold in foreign markets could impact the wineries distribution channels
Wines become perceived as a commodity Vs a social bonding beverage
Allocations for those that want to consume the wines become harder to secure
Brand loyalty is displaced by marketability (which is more volatile)

Some of the pros:

The practice drives demand which can drive up prices.
It can have create more brand exposure.

I totally get that this practice is limited to a minuscule portion of the market. That being said, I’m still intrigued by the topic. I have resold wines for a profit. I somehow feel more at ease with the practice if I buy a wine at retail and then flip it for a higher price. I have bought wine and shared it with others at cost (sometimes including negligible cc interest fee if applicable). I wonder if the element of time and intent has an impact on my rationalization for the practice. If I sell a wine 6 months after a purchase does that make a difference? If I bought wine to drink but needed to raise money later for some reason, does that make it more acceptable? I cant shake the notion that my behavior (though less egregious more aggressive versions) has negative impact on the industry. I would like to hear others thoughts on the topic.

It’s a signal from the afterlife. If only we knew what it meant.

F96B6CA0-2471-4912-B6DB-0833B0971D3D.jpeg

Someone really wants to know whether they should age their Aubert Chards eh… [pwn.gif]

1 Like

Almost surely a spam tactic. Create a few “legit” looking threads to build reputation/credibility/access, then start spamming.

Maybe, Sean, but it’s Victor’s first post and he just joined. I may be foolish, but I’m always ready to start by giving someone the benefit of the doubt…

Sorry I missed your thread on this, Doug.

Mike

I share your instinct, yet I’m struggling to think of any doubt in this particular case…

Must be the Russians trying to interfere in our selections!

:slight_smile:

What’s the conspiracy?

To get us to buy and age more Aubert Chard?

I had an 04 Lauren 2 years ago that was the best Aubert I have ever had, but the 2013 UV-SL I have in my glass right now is very outstanding.

That’s like saying “best of Enya”

Think you’re in the wrong row . Pls check your ticket .

Victor,

Is drinking Aubert at their peak the meaning to your life that you are striving for?

Logotherapy is based on an existential analysis[3] focusing on Kierkegaard’s will to meaning as opposed to Adler’s Nietzschean doctrine of will to power or Freud’s will to pleasure. Rather than power or pleasure, logotherapy is founded upon the belief that it is the striving to find a meaning in one’s life that is the primary, most powerful motivating and driving force in humans.