IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

IKEA ‘Hutten’ wine rack

Anyone used a number of these to fit out a cellar?

Do they stack straight?
Do they hold weight of wine if piled floor to ceiling?
Website says max stack size 3, but they had one eight high in store!
Will I go mad making 200 of them?

I know I would.

No idea if they ship internationally or where they can be sourced wherever you are, but this is a much better solution: Wine Cellar Racks by InstaCellar | Build Your Own Wine Rack System with DIY Rack Kits - Wine Racks America

Loaded with full bottles? I would guess not.

I’d be reluctant to stack racks like this very high unless the vertical posts on each unit were securely attached to each other. Also, it looks like it has those standard Ikea bolts in the crosspieces. I doubt those are designed for the stresses placed on them if you stacked these high with bottles, so a tower of units might be vulnerable to lateral stresses.

Ikea makes “X” shaped wine rack inserts for thier popular modular storage cube system (i think its called Kallaz or Nornas elsewhere). You can usually get 12 bordeaux bottles in them, but if you have very thick bottles or burg bottles, the count quickly drops. THey dont list them online but they generally have them on the floor as a add-on item. They made them in several colors and they look like this:

https://www.target.com/p/x-cube-divider-13-threshold/-/A-50592152

Friends don’t let friends over-buy Hutten wine racks.

In addition to what Neal pointed out…

The OP is in England, I believe, so I don’t know if these options are available to him.

Thank you all.

I am indeed in the UK, but I’m going to look for some similar products to the ones linked over here.
I just tried to connect and stack two Huttens, to see how they worked …. [suicide.gif]

Parallelograms everywhere.

I have accepted the need to spend more than £1 per bottle worth of shelving space.

[winner.gif]

No experience with that product but the bulk of my cellar’s racking is IKEA Ivar. Love that I can have a mix of bottle racks and flat adjustable shelves.

There were my first wine rack when I was in law school. Yes they do stack and the top and bottom shelves are sturdy, the problem is the middle one which is only held to the vertical posts by those small Ikea wood pegs (as oppose to a full screw on the top and bottom shelves). I’m not sure I’d use them for floor to ceiling storage. I had 4 stacked together though and didn’t have any problems and they are easy to put together although I think by definition you have to go mad putting 200 of anything Ikea together. Its party of their philosophy.

They’re not in every area, but Ikea has an ownership interest in TaskRabbit, and they’ll assemble Ikea stuff if desired. Most handymen will too, although at higher prices.

If you’re in an area with potential seismic activity, consider anchoring to the walls in addition to other racks.

I’d suggest anchoring to the wall even if you aren’t in a hot zone. DC is not on anyone’s list of active earthquake zones but we got a 5.8 one in 2011. Glad my racks were anchored

I would avoid these unless you have a ton of space you are looking to waste. My shelving for my den wine storage is the kallax/nornas size squares with the wine “x” holders. I’ve found that it was more efficient to ditch the x’s and just use plywood cut to fit at a diagonal. Less wasted space but more of a pain to take out the bottom bottle.

The Hutton I found totally unsuitable and didn’t fit bigger bottles and doesn’t stack well at all.

Here’s the examples of both styles:
D3B22FDF-C7C2-4B51-8674-88CC7542FA86.jpeg

Interesting juxtaposition of reading material there.

Shoulda censored it better huh? Now you know what I’m into, drugs and hilted weaponry. Not one single profession I could find that combines the two so I had to make a tough choice and only pick one when I decided to go pro.

I’ve never owned the Ikea one but have got this modular one (Gimmu | Finding stuff made easy.) which was sent just through the mail. You can pretty much build it as high as you want. I only used 3 tiers, need to get more wine :wink: