IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
SOvery

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#1 Post by SOvery » July 31st, 2018, 6:09 am

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/coo ... -70032451/

Anyone used a number of these to fit out a cellar?

Do they stack straight?
Do they hold weight of wine if piled floor to ceiling?
Website says max stack size 3, but they had one eight high in store!
Will I go mad making 200 of them?
ST€V€ OVERY

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#2 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 31st, 2018, 6:18 am

SOvery wrote:IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/coo ... -70032451/

Anyone used a number of these to fit out a cellar?

Do they stack straight?
Do they hold weight of wine if piled floor to ceiling?
Website says max stack size 3, but they had one eight high in store!
Will I go mad making 200 of them?
I know I would.

No idea if they ship internationally or where they can be sourced wherever you are, but this is a much better solution: http://www.wineracksamerica.com/instacellar/
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#3 Post by John Morris » July 31st, 2018, 7:08 am

SOvery wrote: Website says max stack size 3, but they had one eight high in store!
Loaded with full bottles? I would guess not.

I'd be reluctant to stack racks like this very high unless the vertical posts on each unit were securely attached to each other. Also, it looks like it has those standard Ikea bolts in the crosspieces. I doubt those are designed for the stresses placed on them if you stacked these high with bottles, so a tower of units might be vulnerable to lateral stresses.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

JonF

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#4 Post by JonF » July 31st, 2018, 8:19 am

Ikea makes "X" shaped wine rack inserts for thier popular modular storage cube system (i think its called Kallaz or Nornas elsewhere). You can usually get 12 bordeaux bottles in them, but if you have very thick bottles or burg bottles, the count quickly drops. THey dont list them online but they generally have them on the floor as a add-on item. They made them in several colors and they look like this:

https://www.target.com/p/x-cube-divider ... A-50592152
Futej

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#5 Post by Anton D » July 31st, 2018, 8:29 am

Friends don't let friends over-buy Hutten wine racks.

In addition to what Neal pointed out...

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/storage/wine-racks/

https://www.winecellarinnovations.com/c ... intner#isl
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#6 Post by John Morris » July 31st, 2018, 9:02 am

The OP is in England, I believe, so I don't know if these options are available to him.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

SOvery

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#7 Post by SOvery » July 31st, 2018, 9:06 am

Thank you all.

I am indeed in the UK, but I’m going to look for some similar products to the ones linked over here.
I just tried to connect and stack two Huttens, to see how they worked …. [suicide.gif]

Parallelograms everywhere.

I have accepted the need to spend more than £1 per bottle worth of shelving space.
ST€V€ OVERY

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#8 Post by John Morris » July 31st, 2018, 9:56 pm

SOvery wrote:I just tried to connect and stack two Huttens, to see how they worked …. [suicide.gif]

Parallelograms everywhere.

I have accepted the need to spend more than £1 per bottle worth of shelving space.

[winner.gif]

R. Gleiberm@n
GCC Member
GCC Member

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#9 Post by R. Gleiberm@n » August 1st, 2018, 4:44 am

No experience with that product but the bulk of my cellar’s racking is IKEA Ivar. Love that I can have a mix of bottle racks and flat adjustable shelves.
R odney

"You guys playin' cards?"

Mike Walsh

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#10 Post by Mike Walsh » August 1st, 2018, 5:04 am

There were my first wine rack when I was in law school. Yes they do stack and the top and bottom shelves are sturdy, the problem is the middle one which is only held to the vertical posts by those small Ikea wood pegs (as oppose to a full screw on the top and bottom shelves). I'm not sure I'd use them for floor to ceiling storage. I had 4 stacked together though and didn't have any problems and they are easy to put together although I think by definition you have to go mad putting 200 of anything Ikea together. Its party of their philosophy.

Arv R

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#11 Post by Arv R » August 4th, 2018, 8:56 am

They're not in every area, but Ikea has an ownership interest in TaskRabbit, and they'll assemble Ikea stuff if desired. Most handymen will too, although at higher prices.

If you're in an area with potential seismic activity, consider anchoring to the walls in addition to other racks.
R_@_0

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#12 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 4th, 2018, 9:02 am

I'd suggest anchoring to the wall even if you aren't in a hot zone. DC is not on anyone's list of active earthquake zones but we got a 5.8 one in 2011. Glad my racks were anchored
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Scott Wi3gand
GCC Member
GCC Member

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#13 Post by Scott Wi3gand » August 4th, 2018, 1:01 pm

I would avoid these unless you have a ton of space you are looking to waste. My shelving for my den wine storage is the kallax/nornas size squares with the wine “x” holders. I’ve found that it was more efficient to ditch the x’s and just use plywood cut to fit at a diagonal. Less wasted space but more of a pain to take out the bottom bottle.

The Hutton I found totally unsuitable and didn’t fit bigger bottles and doesn’t stack well at all.

Scott Wi3gand
GCC Member
GCC Member

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#14 Post by Scott Wi3gand » August 4th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Here’s the examples of both styles:
Attachments
D3B22FDF-C7C2-4B51-8674-88CC7542FA86.jpeg
D3B22FDF-C7C2-4B51-8674-88CC7542FA86.jpeg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 924 times

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#15 Post by John Morris » August 6th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Scott Wiegand wrote:Here’s the examples of both styles:
Interesting juxtaposition of reading material there.

Scott Wi3gand
GCC Member
GCC Member

IKEA 'Hutten' wine rack

#16 Post by Scott Wi3gand » August 6th, 2018, 10:51 pm

John Morris wrote:
Scott Wiegand wrote:Here’s the examples of both styles:
Interesting juxtaposition of reading material there.
Shoulda censored it better huh? Now you know what I’m into, drugs and hilted weaponry. Not one single profession I could find that combines the two so I had to make a tough choice and only pick one when I decided to go pro.

Return to “Wine Talk”