Dirty & Rowdy - August 3rd Release

I failed to notice a July 27th “Save-the-Date Email” from Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines:

"2016 Antle, 2017 Evangelho, 2017 Unfamiliar Red!

"Our Fall Release runs from 8/3 - 8/10 and consists of 3 deep and warming reds.

_20180731_052650.JPG
"2016 ‘Antle Vineyard’ Mourvèdre -
150 cases produced
$49 per bottle
_20180731_052552.JPG
"2017 ‘Evangelho Vineyard’ Mourvèdre -
100 cases produced
$46 per bottle
_20180731_052746.JPG
"2017 ‘Unfamiliar’ Red Wine Blend -
700 cases produced
(Petite Sirah, Mourvèdre, Carignan, Zin)
*** This is different from the ‘Unfamiliar’ Mourvèdre***
$23 per bottle

"We will include the in-depth and always exciting wine details in the 8/3 release letter.

“Ground Shipping will be included with orders of 4 bottles or more.”[/i]

Dirty & Rowdy had a booth at the opening tasting of Hospice du Rhône in May. While I had tasted some of their wines in the past, I had not tried any of the Mourvèdres. HdR made me realize D&R is all about the Mourvèdre! The wines really stood out at HdR (in a room filled with very stiff competition) and the Mourvèdres were a great discovery for me. I’m a buyer.

I’ve been hearing a lot more about this producer lately. Hm.

Thanks, Matt!

Hardy has also put up a couple of fun, quick podcasts.

If you play Hardy’s first podcast backwards, there’s a hidden message about 13 minutes in.

'17 is my daughter’s birth year, rough vintage across the board for most of my favorite regions, but super happy to finally start her birth year stash with some bottles of the Evangelho!

Nice - congrats on the birth of your daughter!

Gotta ask though…are you thinking the Evangelho will make it out 21+ years? I guess there’s always a chance…but I think I’d hedge my bets with some other wines as well :wink:

Since we’re now a winemaking family, she’ll be able to start “tasting” much younger than 21. :wink:

But I also don’t doubt some of Hardy’s more “stacked” wines will easily make it to 20+!

Ha! Fair enough!

And love hearing that opinion on the aging potential. I personally never thought any of them would make it nearly that long, but what the hell do I know. Regardless, will be fun to find out :wink:

What are Hardy’s more stacked wines? IMO D+R make about the easiest, early drinkingest reds I’ve ever had. They are delicious but I doubt they have the necessary structure for aging 20+ years. Hope I’m around to be proven wrong!

Hopefully Hardy chimes in, as I’m actually very interested to know which HE feels are most up to the task.

For me, the Petite Sirah, and any of the Old Vine Mourvedres (depending on vintage) could go the distance. I haven’t cracked the Merlot or Cab yet, but I know he said to let 'em mellow for a while and I could see them lasting as well.

I know its disputed evidence, but many times having a bottle of any of those open a day or two unlocks some otherwise un-released potential that to me belies the tendency towards “easy and early drinkin’ only.”

I’ve had the 2016 Evangelho on 2 recent occasions - both were SUPER young. Hardy will have the most insight, but this wine has real structure that should reward patience in years to come. Maybe 20 years in the tank? :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Todd, thanks for getting a few for your daughter! I think she was with you when we met at Momofuku?

The Familiar wines and Especial wines are made to be early and easy drinking, we try with the vineyard designates to make sure they have the bones / structure to age and develop. That doesn’t mean they can’t be approachable young or have to be dense and impenetrable. As a variety, Mourvèdre is a different critter- it has a ton of reductive strength. Though our wines don’t usually show much reduction, in most cases, you can leave the vineyard designates open for at least a week (or more) and come back to a solid or still improving wine.

All that being said, time is the only way to tell. Personally, I feel like Evangelho, and Antle will be the longest lived (with Skinner White Oak Flats not far behind). A lot of that is due to the balance and acidity

Hardy, was there any single vineyard Mourvèdre from Skinner in 2017? I really like the red fruited side of the grape that seems to shine in those wines.

Thanks Marc- Unfortunately, no Skinners for '17. We declassified all of the 2017 vineyard designates with the exception of Evangelho and Enz.

The two Skinner vineyards are awesome spots!

The Bedrock release notes on the “Evangelho Vineyard” said that 2017 is a special vintage for the vineyard - especially for Mourvèdre! :slight_smile:

Given how age-worthy the prior Dirty & Rowdy Family Wines “Evangelho Vineyard” Mourvèdre wines seem to be, I think the '17 might be a good candidate.

In a very warm, fuzzy, post-tasting state, I sent Rowdy a photo of the '17 Evangelho stating “possibly the best wine we’ve ever made…” It is out of the gate good… I think the '16 Antle in this release is in the same league (with a little more polish). To me, both have that x-factor and ride the invisible line between fine and wild.

No Magnums this year Hardy? There goes my mag verticals.

Chuck- No mags of Evangelho this year :frowning: … I was running so hard with travel and events this spring that is was just a logistics mistake on my part. It is a huge bummer as this one is mag worthy for sure.

I do have 15 cases of 1.5Ls of Antle that we will be release later in the fall with a special year end wine – the 2016 Maple’s Springs Street Petite Sirah. I have 20 cases of 1.5Ls of that and this will allow people to put together some mixed order mags w/ free shipping.

Again- My apologies on the Evangelho mags!