Second Best Bordeaux Sweet Wine

What is the Second Best Bordeaux Sweet Wine?

• Climens?
  • Fargues?
  • Suduiraut?
  • Guiraud?
  • Other?
  • I’m a pedant and think this poll is flawed.

0 voters

So most people agree the d’Yquem is the best best sweet Bordeaux wine. Well, being WB, there will always be someone who disagrees. :wink:

Year in, year out, what do you think is the second best in your opinion? Climens? Fargues? Suduiraut? Guiraud?

Rieussec

Climens for me.

Depends on the vintage. Rieussec, Suduiraut and Climens are all stars, that don’t always shine brightest at the same time.

This, although I usually tend to prefer Rieussec.

+1

Pretty much agree with this even though I lean towards Climens.

Yes, while not 100% in most vintages I prefer Climens. But that 2001 Suduiraut…

Can’t remember a vintage where I thought Rieussec or Suidaraut were better than Climens for my palate. I do like Rieussec though in particular.

The poll list could have been a little longer. Some folks are partial to Coutet or the Doisys.

The 2009 is pretty damn good, also.

I’ve been told that the real qualitative difference between Yquem and the rest only really becomes apparent with significant age. Which makes the disparity in cost questionable if intended to be drunk young.

I agree that it is vintage specific. I usually prefer the Climens, but also enjoy Rieussec. The Coutet is usually where I find the most value relative to quality.

Thanks,
Ed

Guiraud for me, probably because it has more Sauvignon Blanc than the others. Coutet is often softer IMO, as are the Doisys, but not so much as some. In fact, I probably have most Doisy Daena and Vedrines, because they’re usually pretty good buys. I suppose I’d agree with what David said regarding the others, although honestly, d’Yquem isn’t always as great as its reputation would have you believe. But they’re all enjoyable if you want something sweet and especially if someone else is pouring, I won’t refuse. [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the opinions. Fargues is the dark horse. 2 votes AIS. Nobody had mentioned it in the comments. It’s one of the best of this bunch IMHO.

It’s so much a question of style and personal preference IMO. My consistent favorite after d’Yquem is Lafaurie-Peyraguey.

I like Fargues as well.

Value/quality play = Raymond Lafon

Wo ist Ashish? [grin.gif]

Climens, and it’s sometimes better than D’Yquem, though not often. It can be matched by Rieussec or Sud. I’m also often very partial to La Tour Blanche. And agree, Coutet is super at overdelivering.

I miss Bob Hudak posting on this stuff too–he’d be all over this.

Probably a bit biased since we visited De Fargue and had lunch with Alexander and his son Phillipe…

The care and dedication, and the meticulous vineyard management, harvesting practices, etc… all of which Alexander brought over from his time managing d’Yquem. I really think De Fargue is as good and as close as it gets to d’Yquem…

Ever since Alexander has taken over back at his family winery, the quality has been exceptional. the newer vintages are amazing. They aren’t classified and didn’t want to bother…
Sadly their prices reflect their pedigree… Which most Rieussec/Sud/etc can be had for $50-60, Climens around $100… Newer Fargues is up there at $150ish… So while quality is 2nd only to d’Yquem, sadly price another area where they are probably second only to d’Yquem.

Where’s the option for
I’m a pedant and I don’t think this poll is flawed.

Pfft, who needs Agrawaal, I am here. :stuck_out_tongue: I voted for Suduiraut myself but if we’re being honest we all know that after Suduiraut come Climens, De Fargues, Rieussec, and Suduiraut as the next best and its personal preference which you prefer. I’d even throw Coutet in that group. For the next tier under that I like La Tour Blanche, Clos Haut-Peyreguey, the Doisys, Guiraud, Raymond Lafon.