TN: Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Spätlese mini vertical

• 2001 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    #08-02, 9% abv. I think there was just a mild hint of TCA on this wine. It was mostly muted and had a bit of an off smell on the nose. As well, the palate seemed to be far more advanced than the other wines (even if this was the oldest wine by three years). Nothing screamed out that this was flawed, but having had this a few times in the past, I’m pretty confident this wasn’t a representative bottle either. (93- pts.)
  • 2004 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    #10-05, 8% abv. This is a bottle on the lighter end of the stylistic spectrum, which would be expected from the vintage as well. However, it’s showing excellently right now. There’s a slight herbal edge to this, but lovely stone fruit flavours on the nose. The palate is lighter and more racy than the broad-shouldered 2005, and the minerality and acidity seem to be highlighted a little bit more. A wine that’s very light on its feet but has far more than you immediately notice. Very classic and stylistically correct spätlese. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    #10-06, 8.5% abv. While this is quite different than the 2004 in shape, there are still clear elements that the two wines have in common. The stone fruit, again think white peaches and white cherries, are riper and sweeter, and there’s just a very slight hint of sweet florals on the nose as well. The palate here is broader and riper, but this wine still has that same lightness and airiness that the more elegant 2004 had. It’s a wine that seems to float (the classic Theise “ethereality”) but you have to wonder how, given all the stuffing it has. (93 pts.)
  • 2008 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    #12-09, 8.5% abv. Really reduced and a little stinky (perhaps a Joh. Jos. Prüm collaboration?). We threw this one in a decanter because it was the tightest and most ornery of all the wines tonight. I wasn’t particularly thrilled with this one, since it seemed to show far more green and leafy notes than any of the other wines. Despite that, there was still some of that floating, ethereal lightness here that I love. This strikes me just as a leaner, less giving wine. I’m not too excited about this vintage, and it’s hard to reconcile this with CCT’s and Salil’s notes from release. (93 pts.)
  • 2010 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    #14-11, 8% abv. I know 2010 isn’t the greatest of vintages but some of these wines show this white-tinged acidity that I really do find attractive. This is one of those wines – the fruit is less peachy, but there’s more tartness and spice on the nose. The palate here is incredibly structural and shows the most linearity and precision of the lineup tonight. It’s perhaps the most Mosel-like of the vintages tonight, with the higher amounts of tart apples and pineapples on the palate. Still a very good wine which is not showing its full potential at all. (93 pts.)
  • 2011 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    #13-12, 9% abv. This was a very flashy iteration, with a massive amount of sweet fruit on the nose and palate. Again the aromas are along the lines of white stone fruit, but this vintage shows that in a very ripe and overt way. This is more exuberant than the equally ripe, but far more demure 2005. The palate’s acidity is mildly attenuated, especially tasting this right after the 2010, but there’s no point where this is a sugar bomb. It’s still balanced well and is drinking openly right now. (93 pts.)

Please stop. I actually value your notes and a score is a passionate impression of a wine in a field you have tasted. Remove the score or post your gut.

Cheers, Kris

Fine notes, but the scores, particularly the bolding is very distracting.

The bold type happens from doing a direct feed from CellarTracker.

Interesting vertical. Too bad about the 2001. You are right that it does not seem representative based on your note.

2004 overall is drinking quite well from Dönnhoff, and, at the risk of over generalization, from Germany as a whole.

I like the leanness of 2008. Haven’t had an ‘08 Dönnhoff in a while though.

What David said. And thank you for the excellent notes.

I own 4 of these and have never done a NH vertical. Could be interesting but likely wouldn’t allow me to track bottles over a couple days. Please report with any follow-up.

I think that the new parcel they added with the Kupfergrube-NH swap would have been included as of the 2008 you tried. Any noticeable difference in the later wines because of the added material?

"Interesting vertical. Too bad about the 2001. You are right that it does not seem representative based on your note.

2004 overall is drinking quite well from Dönnhoff, and, at the risk of over generalization, from Germany as a whole.

I like the leanness of 2008. Haven’t had an ‘08 Dönnhoff in a while though."

David, I liked the 08 a lot more by the end of the evening. I agree with Adrian that at first it was quite reduced, but i thought the decanting made a huge difference and that it really woke up and became far more expressive. It was also a really awesome color, very vibrant, a slight green hue to it. Looked great. I like the 08, and like all these wines, it is and drank like, a baby.

The Kupfergrube swap was post 2008 harvest.

Thanks. Off by a year in my head. Still an interesting question? I’ve never done a side by side.

Somewhat paternalistic attitude, no? ASo is free to do whatever he wants within the community guidelines, and I don’t think your tone is called for in telling him how to post his scores. Not wanting to rehash this old argument again, but surprised that you had to be so rudely blunt, especially as someone who’s not a newbie to this forum.

Anyways, back to the topic on hand: great notes on great wines, thank you Adrian for the informative notes; keep on keeping on…

“Don’t mention the war”

I know I am an acid freak, but I love 2010s - I think my favorites of the vintage have been from Schloss Lieser. I also have had a number of 2008s that I really like from better producers. It is 2011 where I have not be a fan - too soft to be German wines.

Why would I want to see pictures of his gut? Seems disgusting.

I think 2010 is best on the high Praedikats – 2010 Doennhoff NH TBA is easily one of the greatest wines I’ve ever had. The super high acidity doesn’t work quite as well on the kabinetts or trockens, at least to me.

I do agree 2011 is a very weak vintage overall, with generally soft and flabby wines.

Thanks for the notes - still have a few bottles of the 2004, and it sounds like I should dig one out to try soon.

Has anyone tried the 2009 recently?

Probably 3 years or so before I go after a 2009.

I don’t drink at trocken wines so that does not matter to me. I have had wonderful Kabinettes over the years with acidity.

And, I agree with you the 2010 is a great vintage for higher praedikat wines. I have had some wonderful GKA from the vintage.

Agree totally.

I saw the font and the italicized “nahe” and just moved on. Who can put up with that shit?

[scratch.gif] Seriously?

Well played.