TN: Great wines at Oriole in Chicago!

GREAT WINES AT ORIOLE IN CHICAGO! - (7/11/2018)

I am lucky enough to travel with my son around the country and internationally for Junior golf tournaments. We always go out of our way to find great restaurants, and great wine lists (for me)! Last month was Killington; obviously nothing to report there. This month Peoria, Pekin really. So we drive almost three hours to Chicago to Oriole, and a most wonderful experience! Next month, we are going just outside of Toronto, hopefully we can score!

• NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 164eme - France, Champagne
    Drank at Oriole in Chicago as part of a reserve tasting list. Two by the glass pours from two seperate bottles. Fresh and inviting, with nuttiness and tart fruit skin perceptions, and dazzling white fruit. This was such a happy wine, jumping exuberently from the glass. The nuance of fruit, mineral, and nuttiness, blends perfectly with the exuberent, airy, happiness of the wine.

My flash note at the restaurant: Krug 164, fresh and beautiful. Up. puff and away! (97 pts.)

• 2013 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru
    Drank at Oriole in Chicago as part of a reserve tasting list. A fantastic choice! I think my flash note says it perfectly…Pernot licorice in Pernot way. Bone. Limestone. Freshhhh!!! Naringin lemon peel, pithy. Voluminous, but light on its feet! (96 pts.)
  • 1999 Putz-Botzet Lieserer Sussenberg Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Drank at Oriole in Chicago as part of a reserve tasting list. This was very nice. Fluid and nimble, with pretty Riesling fruit. Lightly weighted, in a good way, so as to be very food friendly. (89 pts.)
  • 1997 Giacomo Borgogno & Figli Barolo Riserva - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Drank at Oriole in Chicago as part of a reserve tasting list. Good choice. Tar, earth, mineral, dark cherry, wet animal. Very friendly with the exceedingly wonderful capellini with Australian winter truffle, puffed wheat and yeast beurre monté!! (92 pts.)
  • 2002 Saint-Chamant Champagne Brut Cuvee de Chardonnay - France, Champagne
    Drank at Oriole in Chicago as part of a reserve tasting list. The oxidative style of this wine didn’t appeal to me. It was very interesting, and quite drinkable, with a beautiful Délice de Bourgogne soufflé with sesame and lemon.
  • 2003 Warre Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto
    Drank at Oriole in Chicago as part of a reserve tasting list. Young for sure, with dark fruit, tasty spice, pretty nose. Great with myriad dessert bits and treats. (92 pts.)
  • 1995 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    Drank at Oriole in Chicago as part of a reserve tasting list. Nice 1995 St. Julien drinking well. This paired well with A5 Wagyu. Wine was big, with dark cherry, earth, dried pine box, some spicecake. (90 pts.)
  • 2012 Trimbach Riesling Clos Ste. Hune - France, Alsace
    Drank at Oriole in Chicago as part of a reserve tasting list. I was shocked at how approachable this young Clos Ste. Hune was. At first there was a slight hint of petrol and salt breeze which was lovely. The wine was so elegant and pretty, with hints of dried limerock, lime fruit dust, pithy, playful sweet lime fruit, hints of earth, dried stones, apple peel. The wine is just so fluid. It is hard to describe the taste, because, none of these descriptions are at the forefront or the rear, they just come all at once in such an easygoing, but streamlined package. I will be seeking out a bunch of these! (95 pts.)

Wine tasting menus can be tough to get right. I credit Aaron McManus sommelier and team with great selections, and they stayed well inside the overthought/glib/geeky line, and really served some choice wines.
Posted from CellarTracker

I also had, right after the Krug, a most beautiful Saki. Junmai Daijijgo Takasago “Devine Droplets” Hokkaido Japan. This was gorgeous, and a real eye opener, and soomething that I will seek to acquire. It was dry and balanced, with a sweet chocolate, cherry breath perception that was compelling!

Oriole is awesome - probably my favorite restaurant in the city. Thanks for the notes!

Charlie – I consider Aaron a friend of mine, and I can definitely tell you he works very hard on those pairings (I’ve chatted with him more than a few times about them). I’ve not made it into Oriole myself but have heard nothing but amazing things about it.

If you ever do find yourself in the Windy City again, please let me know – would love a chance to pop a few corks with you too!

If you need suggestions in Toronto or the suburbs, don’t hesitate to ask.

Ditto what Adrian said. There are many terrific restaurants that mail it in on pairings, Oriole is not one of them. Ive eaten there three times and every time the pairings have been outstanding - both the regular and the reserve option. I would always recommend going that route, i know Aaron works really hard to provide interest, good value, and a thoughtful, effective match. And he’s a super nice guy to boot.

PS. Ditto on the sentiment about letting the CHI crew know next time you come through.

Dinner at Oriole was great. While we brought some of our own we ordered by the glass and the selection was great. Obviously Aaron is working very hard to establish a great program.

Agree with all of the praise! Great place…

JD

Love your style and commitment of driving 3 hours into Chicago for a stellar experience. Great reserve tasting list to include something Krug as well. I’m certainly a fan of the 164eme.

Had the 04 version of the Riesling last week. My notes: the vineyard source comes from Trimbachs most famous 1.67-hectare vineyard which is a south-facing limestone enclave that sits snugly inside Grand Cru Rosacker with vines averaging 50 years old; the nose greets us with dominating steely, mineral and petrol laden notes accenting the honeyed lemon, orange peel and butterscotch that prevails throughout; it`s dense, full bodied and looong.

Cheers

Sorry for the untimely response. I have been on the road. What a cool place, and I love the nondescript entrance!

This would be great!!! Going there for nights of 13th through 16th. Need recs for sure.