RIP John Joyce

I lost a friend today. John tasted with us weekly from the mid-90s until just a few years ago. Around the time I left St. Louis, he started to deteriorate (early) with dementia in his late 60s / early 70s. While admittedly among my most eccentric friends, he was without question one of the most authentic and generous people I have ever met. He was the guy bringing Trotanoy, Sine Qua Non, Chave or d’Yquem when others might have only brought a simple wine. You would never hear him complain. He only wanted to share.

I remember before I left to taste the 1996s at the GJE (with Kevin Shin, Leve, and others here), he prepared me for months bringing the best Bordeaux and Cali Cabs from the vintage. He was just being a good friend. I wished he could have joined us.

He’ll be missed by many. Though I know only a handful of people who visit this board knew him, I thought it fitting to pay some respect to such a generous and kind soul.

Not a name I recognize, but sounds like a lot of people I know… kind, generous, and willing to share his good stuff to expand your horizons.
Tom

I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. “Authentic and generous”…what a nice way to be remembered.

Andy

Moving tribute. If we can manage some of the things you speak about, I think it is a life well-lived.

Sorry for the loss of your friend. RIP.

I too have had the pleasure of a long relationship with John. He was everything that Jim related, and more. I have never known a more generous, intelligent, eccentric, and supportive individual. He has been and will be missed.

John started me on my wine adventure and introduced me to a wonderful cross-section of St. Louis wine and food lovers.

I will open a GEM in your honor tonight and toast you and Claudia and Daily and Jay. Thank you for the time you had to give.

Sorry as well for the loss of your friend.

Bruce

The sun shines a little less bright today. John Joyce was an amazing person. I was lucky to have dined with him many times. He had a razor wit, an encyclopedic knowledge of wine, and his generosity was unparalleled as the two Jims have said. Many of the best wines I’ve ever had were opened by John, including 1970 Unico twice - both times for my birthday. Rest in peace, my friend.

I can only echo the sentiments of Jim Dove, Jim Cohen and David … I had the pleasure of being with John for Saturday tastings for over 10 years. There was no kinder or more generous man than John. As David said - many of the wines he opened and shared with us were ethereal. John took many of us and introduced us to a whole different level of wine appreciation. He will be missed.

I attend a celebration of life on Sunday in honor of JJ. Claudia had him there (ashes) in a box, with his ball cap resting atop it and a glass of red wine next to it. I smiled and chuckled, several of the wine groups JJ had participated in were at the event and everyone had a story. We laughed and reminisced about JJ and how he touched all our lives. JJ introduced me to some the finest wines in the world. Y’quem, 1st growth Bordeaux, Sine Quo Non, cult California Cabs, Unico, Grand Cru Burgundies and premier Aussie wines. He was truly generous man with a big heart. I wanted to post this sooner but had trouble getting account set up. John Joyce gone, but not forgotten.

Sorry for the loss of your friend, Jim.
BTW: We tasted 1995 Bordeaux vs. Napa, not 1996.

wow… how the memory fades.