TN: 1995 Château Pontet-Canet (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

• 1995 Château Pontet-Canet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (7/26/2018)
    Decanted 20 min - Much riper nose than my last bottle from 2010 which I described as textbook Pauillac, some novice drinkers described it as ‘port like’ and while I wouldn’t have gone that far, I get the general sentiment. And to clarify, it wasn’t raisiny or anything, just very forward with lots of attractive perfume. The palate was much more a workman like / bistro Bordeaux, subtle notes of cassis and earth, good overall balance and nice late kick of tannin. Cork was in impeccable condition. I would drink up - I cannot envision any reason to hold and what a nice treat for a perfect summer Wednesday evening. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’ve wondered how long Pontet Canet can last - doesn’t really seem to be a long-term ager, particularly for Pauillac - they seem to be best rather young, 10-15 years

I’m sure those with a lot more experience than me will chime in, but probably safe to say post 2000, most PC vintages could go long term, at least in respect to their peers in a given vintage. I do have two 96’s left, and I remain optimistic they will hold for a good while yet.

Not sure I agree. I had the 1996 last year and it seemed a bit disjointed initially, drinkable but quite backward still, and it seemed to most of us needing 5+ years to peak. I see that Cellar Tracker notes have plenty of disagreement about the maturity of the '96 as well.

Could be that after the dismal 91-94 Bordeaux vintages, everyone was ready for a vintage to celebrate. And in retrospect, 95 and 96 were not nearly as good as their hype.

Thanks Dale, I have a couple left. [cheers.gif]

Really? What vintages have you tasted that lead you to that conclusion?

I partly agree, I have mixed feelings about 1995. Popped a 1995 Sociando last night that was fine but not really interesting or anything beyond just decent. The structure over-powered the fruit - yea, odd for me to say that.

95 is a fairly stern vintage. They may blossom in the next decade, or you can enjoy them in that style now.

I bought 24 bottles of 2003 Pontet-Canet on release. I’ve had a bottle a year for the last 5 years and still consider the wine to be too primary. Come to think of it, it’s time to check in again.

Interesting point about the longevity of Pontet Canet.

You don’t hear about many trophies from this estate from bygone decades.

But there was a style inflection in the 2000s.

One would assume that the new style of fastidiously fashioned P-Cs might age better than their older bretheren but it is only surmising.

I have a case of 1996 on the go and the wines are in the early stages of their plateau of maturity, quite pleasurable but at the same time quite rustic.

I guess I didn’t go back all that far - I’ve had several 96, thought I had 89 but couldn’t find where, rest were 2000-present

Earlier today, after reading the original post, I immediately thought about the exact same point that Ian posted as I was referencing my not having, nor reading about, many trophies from old vintages. I also agree that regarding the question of the 2000+ vintages, it appears to be a coin-toss as to where they’re headed.

1995 was an important vintage for PC. It marked the beginning of consistent quality improvement, pretty much in a straight line upward to today. 1995 on the left bank was a tough vintage, one I am still not sure the fruit will outlast the ripe but stern tannins. I have no doubt the 2000+ vintages have the bones to age.

I did not always agree with Jay Miller, Parker´s friend, but he gave a wise advice IMO when he said: never give up on a Bordeaux. I can’t count the occasions when a Bordeaux turned out good after a period of its evolution when optimism seemed to be pretty illusionary. The good period of PC started with the 1994 vintage IMO. That wine is amongst the best 1994 to me. And Michel Bettane told me once that a good Paulliac needs 30 years before offering its true personality when well stored. Sure – palates and preferences differ. But I think the best of 1995 PC onwards is still to come.

Seriously: after only a 20 min decant the judgement:

I would drink up - I cannot envision any reason to hold and what a nice treat for a perfect summer Wednesday evening.<<

[scratch.gif]

I´ve had many older PCs, not to count older Pauillacs, and while the winemaking was not on the present label (incl. 1982), not nearly, the wines were in no danger to fall apart, even back to 1957, 1959, 61/62/64 … it is a superb terroir next to Mouton …!

Depending on shipping/storage the 1995/96 vintages might now be in a phase “not really mature, but also not totally primary” … if you don´t know the wine it´s a bad phase to judge about ageability, but imho I´d say: better hold for a few more years - and then drink over the next 12-15+ years (but better with apropriate aering time …)

But if you like the wine like it is now: ok, drink up …
[cheers.gif]

The only Pontet-Canets I have are the 94 and 95. This was ostensibly the period where they began their improvements. Neither of these wines has ever tasted modern or spoofed to me, though the post 2000s that I have tried have (only a couple and I don’t remember the vintages because they seemed easy to forget to me). I generally prefer the 94 but do like the 95. They both seem pretty ready to me and have for the past 3-5 years.

So is Chateau D’Armailhac, which is clearly adjacent to Mouton, yet it hasn’t generated anything that can be thought of as superb.

Perhaps not superb, but generally a very solid and well-priced wine. I have a fair bit of this wine across many vintages. I’m a fan.

One of the few times I agree with my namesake :slight_smile: