TN: NV Sean Thackrey Pleiades XXV Old Vines (USA, California)

NV Sean Thackrey Pleiades XXV Old Vines - USA, California (7/25/2018)
Dusty, brushy, bright cherry aromas are supplemented by earth and leather on the palate. Lightly colored, medium bodied on the palate and thankfully under 14% alcohol (barely), this feels like a close cousin to Steve Edmunds’ Rocks & Gravel bottling, and a sort of ur-American wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

I have enjoyed this bottle over the years. Recently saw his rose -anyone ever try it?

Thanks for the note, David. I’ve enjoyed the XXIII and XXIV, but haven’t tried the XXV yet. I’d never thought of them as “ur-American” but the description is apt… perhaps more specifically an American of Italian descent (I find the Sangiovese to feature prominently). Have not tried the rose, but I do quite like his La Pleiade white field blend as well… Distinctive wines in the <$20 price point.

I drank a lot of the XXIII and XXIV. Great values. I served the former at my son’s bar mitzvah - Sean got a lot of secondary sales as a result

I love the whole series but especially this winery on Oz and James’s Big Wine Adventure. It’s the Sonoma episode in the second season. My tasting note on the XXII was:

Transparent red. Wonderfully perfumed nose with herbs de provence and macerated fresh strawberries. Not enough acid to go forever but still a touch of red fruit acid and enough tannins to go for some more years. Currants and stewed strawberry in the mouth. Lasting finish with some drying tannin. Might still get better? Safe to keep for a few more years to see what happens. 92+

At about the 8 minute mark:
sB-NgCyxl-w