Do you typically drink Oregon pinot 10+ years past vintage?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Todd Laubach

Re: Do you typically drink Oregon pinot 10+ years past vintage?

#51 Post by Todd Laubach » August 25th, 2019, 5:53 am

Drank a 2002 St. Innocent Freedom Hill over Memorial Day weekend that was just phenomenal. One of the best domestic pinot's I have ever had.

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Rick Allen » August 25th, 2019, 8:37 am

Back in the 80s, I thought that Oregon Pinot started to fall apart after about 5 years (with the exception of Eyrie). By the 2000s, I was thinking the outer limits for most was 10 years. Now it seems more like somewhere between 15 and 20 years. I had a 2002 Eyrie Reserve that, to this point, is my wine of the year, and probably the best Pinot I've had in five years. I've also had several 2005s recently that are tasting great and show no signs of being over the hill. Even the 2007s (remember, the early drinking vintage) are in a great place right now.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#53 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 25th, 2019, 8:40 am

Todd Laubach wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 5:53 am
Drank a 2002 St. Innocent Freedom Hill over Memorial Day weekend that was just phenomenal. One of the best domestic pinot's I have ever had.
Great vintage for St. I, good to know they are holding up well.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#54 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 25th, 2019, 2:38 pm

CCoulson wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 4:40 am
From someone who hopefully has years of enjoyment ahead from many of the makers popular in these forums - I would like to learn more about any Closed Periods of your favorite Oregon Pinot Noirs.

Your experiences on when/if you have encountered Bottles well stored in you cellar that are shut down.

I definitely have, both with my wines and others.

What are the markers that you use to identify a bottle that is closing down? How many years did it take to exit?

clumsiness, disjointed, dull, tannins/acid out of balance. Lack of expressive aromatics, fruit is narrow or short.

Maker, vintage, vineyard, appellation are all helpful - both data and opinions you have developed over the years would be great to hear.

I find the Dundee Hills to typically have the shortest dumb phase. Vintages are all over the board. Cooler vintages are usually closed longer, but there are always comments of ripe vintages falling apart, but eventually the wines will come back into phase.

What are your preferences for when your drink, and also try not to drink, your favorite producers?

for my wines and the producers I drink, this is my rule of thumb for when I like to drink the wines. If a bottle seems cloaed as I enter my drinking window, I will slow down the window(as with 2008):
Dundee Hills drink at 5-10 years
Yamhill Carlton 6-10 years
Eola Amity Hills 8-15 years
Ribbon Ridge 9-20 years

Burgundy has well established general rules of the road (which can be wrong, yet provide useful general guidelines), so good for Oregon to have the same so we can maximize our enjoyment.
Winemaker & Owner

Ian H

#55 Post by Ian H » August 25th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Marcus Goodfellow wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 8:40 am
Todd Laubach wrote:
Great vintage for St. I, good to know they are holding up well.
I had a 2002 St. Innocent Shea about a month ago and it was really good. Still had some tannic bite. Totally ready for consumption but nowhere near past its prime.
@@S

Ian H

#56 Post by Ian H » August 25th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Rick Allen wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 8:37 am
Back in the 80s, I thought that Oregon Pinot started to fall apart after about 5 years (with the exception of Eyrie). By the 2000s, I was thinking the outer limits for most was 10 years. Now it seems more like somewhere between 15 and 20 years. I had a 2002 Eyrie Reserve that, to this point, is my wine of the year, and probably the best Pinot I've had in five years. I've also had several 2005s recently that are tasting great and show no signs of being over the hill. Even the 2007s (remember, the early drinking vintage) are in a great place right now.
I was lucky enough to have a 1993 Eyrie Reserve earlier this summer and it was terrific. Easily the oldest Oregon Pinot I've had and it didn't disappoint.
@@S

Gus Siokis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Gus Siokis » August 25th, 2019, 6:16 pm

We had a 2007 Brittan Vineyards Pinot Noir Gestalt Block last month and thought it was great. We are still sitting on 26 bottles of various producers (Brittan, Ayoub, Ayres, Patty Green, Retour, Evening Land, Andrew Rich, and de Lancellotti) between 2006 - 2009. Looking forward to having a few more this year.....
Last edited by Gus Siokis on August 26th, 2019, 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CT: gsiokis
Instagram: GiantDolphan

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#58 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » August 25th, 2019, 11:58 pm

Agreed James and Marcus, would be nice to dig into 05 for example or 02. But will require some procurement that some of us might be able to do for the group.
Vincent - ITB

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#59 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 26th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Vincent Fritzsche wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Agreed James and Marcus, would be nice to dig into 05 for example or 02. But will require some procurement that some of us might be able to do for the group.
I do think we’d need to tap the participating winemakers and also see if we can procure wines from some of the other wineries.
Winemaker & Owner

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by PeterH » August 26th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Vincent Fritzsche wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 11:58 pm
I could bring either, and other older vintages too. I bet the group collectively has quite a few 15 yr. and older WV Pinots.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

asnitow

#61 Post by asnitow » August 26th, 2019, 4:44 pm

We just did a vertical of Brickhouse across vineyards spanning 1995 - 2015.

The 1995 showed beautifully. 2004, 2007, 2008, and 2009 were the other vintages 10 or more years old and all were drinking well.

In fact, 2008 was prob the fan favorite and id imagine most tasters would be confident that it has lots of life left.
alan snitow

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Jason T » August 26th, 2019, 6:50 pm

I had a glass of ‘85 Eyrie back in ‘17 (or was it ‘16) that was haunting. It was just exploding in the glass. I will never forget it. Totally tertiary, tons of sous bois.

Not sure how much life it had ahead of it - it struck me as fully mature. But it really showed me that extended aging could be rewarded. I will check in on my favourites from time to time but that is the sort of experience I am after, and if it takes 20-30 years to get it, so be it.
J@son Tr@ughber

Brian Glas

#63 Post by Brian Glas » August 26th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Carter Y. wrote:
July 25th, 2018, 7:01 pm
Sounds like we need an Oregon pinot theme offline in Seattle!
Sounds like a great idea to me. Loved the tasting at Peter H's place last Fall.

Brian Glas

#64 Post by Brian Glas » August 26th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Todd Laubach wrote:
Drinking the 2011 tonight with dinner. A bit tight at first but after an hour really opened up and was my favorite of the night. Tasted along side a Winderlea 2014 Murto and a 2015 Elizabeth Chambers Menefee.

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Travis Fantz » August 26th, 2019, 9:50 pm

I am always up for an aged Oregon Pinot Noir Tasting. I used most of my old wines when I had the shop, but I know there are wines from the early 2000s hiding somewhere. I know I have a lot of one offs if it was a small group. Heck I could do older Chardonnay to start.

Personally, any producer I like, I usually put away wines to have at 10+ years. Obviously I don’t have matello 2002 :) but I do enjoy my 06, 08, and 07 wines currently.
HS Math Teacher (old ITB)

Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Geoff F. » August 26th, 2019, 10:28 pm

I'd also be up for an aged Oregon Pinot tasting, though my oldest stuff is 09 and 11.
F r a n z

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#67 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 27th, 2019, 5:48 am

asnitow wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 4:44 pm
In fact, 2008 was prob the fan favorite and id imagine most tasters would be confident that it has lots of life left.
08 is a vintage, by and large, that everybody thought would be "long-lived". The most structured young new world Pinots that I've ever encountered. The question remains, can the fruit keep up? A few years ago at the post-IPNC tasting, I was surprised at how ripe the fruit profile tended to be and how in some Pinots, it was already fading compared to the structure. YMMV.

There are several cases of 08s, buried in a pile in the cellar. Need to start breaking them out.

RT

rfelthoven

#68 Post by rfelthoven » August 27th, 2019, 9:03 am

I've been a little surprised at the level of bricking I have been seeing in many 2011 OR pinots. They don't taste advanced but kind of look the part. And these are pretty high acid AFWE producers which I figured would have really long lives. Anyone else notice this in 2011's?
Ron

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#69 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » August 27th, 2019, 10:34 am

Interesting Ron, I think the delicacy of the '11s might be what you're referring to. I expect "lighter" vintages to look their age earlier more than they taste of it. By contrast, vintages of greater intensity and color might need to stumble through the years the '11s are already gracefully striding through. My '11 Zenith the other night showed that way, didn't look old but clearly not a new release, but still so fresh and young/bright. Should be fun continuing to watch them unfold.
Vincent - ITB

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#70 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » August 27th, 2019, 10:38 am

Travis Fantz wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 9:50 pm
I am always up for an aged Oregon Pinot Noir Tasting. I used most of my old wines when I had the shop, but I know there are wines from the early 2000s hiding somewhere. I know I have a lot of one offs if it was a small group. Heck I could do older Chardonnay to start.
This has been the trick for this event, we need two bottles and ideally a third as a back up (TCA, oxidation, whatever). Many people have singles of old vintagers, but not necessarily pairs (or trios) and perhaps we're less likely to part of two or three in one whack when the old stuff can be so precious.

I agree with Marcus that we might need a few of us to go direct to some producers and source that way, then find a way to share the cost with the group (rather than your ticket be contributing two bottles from your own cellar). I'm up for trying. Imagine a nice cross section of '02s or '01s!
Vincent - ITB

rfelthoven

#71 Post by rfelthoven » August 27th, 2019, 10:55 am

Vincent Fritzsche wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 10:34 am
Interesting Ron, I think the delicacy of the '11s might be what you're referring to. I expect "lighter" vintages to look their age earlier more than they taste of it. By contrast, vintages of greater intensity and color might need to stumble through the years the '11s are already gracefully striding through. My '11 Zenith the other night showed that way, didn't look old but clearly not a new release, but still so fresh and young/bright. Should be fun continuing to watch them unfold.
Thanks Vincent. I am pretty familiar w/ the delicacy and lightness of the 2011s. CT says I've gone through about 14 cases of Oregon 2011's to date. I think I use them as a palate reset after opening too many bottles from somewhat warm vintages. :)

I have just noticed that more recent bottles are showing more brown edges. Not claiming they are in any way fading in the flavor department, just looking a little different in some recent bottles.
Ron

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#72 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » August 27th, 2019, 11:29 am

I haven’t noticed anything in the color of ‘11s that I wouldn’t generally expect at 8 years out for similarly acid driven, not especially intense or intensely colored wines. I’m thinking of ‘01 as a comparison. Not a similar growing season but the wines have those characteristics in common.

Man that makes me think - I’d LOVE to taste through a bunch of ‘01s. Sadly I have but one bottle left, Evesham Wood Seven Springs.
Vincent - ITB

rfelthoven

#73 Post by rfelthoven » August 27th, 2019, 11:40 am

Fitting bottle to have kept. Nice choice!
Ron

Lee Short

#74 Post by Lee Short » August 27th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Vincent Fritzsche wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 10:38 am
Travis Fantz wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 9:50 pm
This has been the trick for this event, we need two bottles and ideally a third as a back up (TCA, oxidation, whatever). Many people have singles of old vintagers, but not necessarily pairs (or trios) and perhaps we're less likely to part of two or three in one whack when the old stuff can be so precious.

I agree with Marcus that we might need a few of us to go direct to some producers and source that way, then find a way to share the cost with the group (rather than your ticket be contributing two bottles from your own cellar). I'm up for trying. Imagine a nice cross section of '02s or '01s!
I'd definitely be up for something like this. I've got a few solo bottles left from the 80s and early 90s, and more choices from later 90s or early aughts.

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#75 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » August 27th, 2019, 3:54 pm

rfelthoven wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 10:55 am
Vincent Fritzsche wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 10:34 am
Thanks Vincent. I am pretty familiar w/ the delicacy and lightness of the 2011s. CT says I've gone through about 14 cases of Oregon 2011's to date. I think I use them as a palate reset after opening too many bottles from somewhat warm vintages. :)

I have just noticed that more recent bottles are showing more brown edges. Not claiming they are in any way fading in the flavor department, just looking a little different in some recent bottles.
Ron,

2011 was cool enough that, in general, malics were higher and a larger percentage of total acidity than malic normally is.

While malic,and lactic acid after conversion, still has a very high perception of acidity they are much less impactful from a pH standpoint. Most 2011s have a very distinct acid profile, many are still higher than average for pH. Sulfur efficacy is much better at lower pH, and earlier browning, in my opinion, is mostly related to this.
Winemaker & Owner

rfelthoven

#76 Post by rfelthoven » August 27th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Super interesting. Thanks!
Ron

Vincent Fritzsche
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#77 Post by Vincent Fritzsche » August 27th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Yeah what Marcus said too 😀
Vincent - ITB

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Kirk.Grant » August 27th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 5:48 am
asnitow wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 4:44 pm
08 is a vintage, by and large, that everybody thought would be "long-lived". The most structured young new world Pinots that I've ever encountered. The question remains, can the fruit keep up? A few years ago at the post-IPNC tasting, I was surprised at how ripe the fruit profile tended to be and how in some Pinots, it was already fading compared to the structure. YMMV.

There are several cases of 08s, buried in a pile in the cellar. Need to start breaking them out.

RT
Did you notice if there were producer that did better than others? Lots of folks seemed to really like the 08 PGC Etzel when we did the vertical back in June.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Location: Within walking distance of William Penn's Walking Purchase

#79 Post by Richard T r i m p i » August 27th, 2019, 5:27 pm

viewtopic.php?p=1804381#p1804381

My impressions from 2015 - Post-IPNC 2008 Tasting

RT

Steven Miller

#80 Post by Steven Miller » August 29th, 2019, 9:20 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 5:27 pm
viewtopic.php?p=1804381#p1804381

My impressions from 2015 - Post-IPNC 2008 Tasting

RT
We are hoping to see you next year at the 10th anniversary event!
tread lightly

CCoulson

#81 Post by CCoulson » August 30th, 2019, 4:33 am

Opened a well cellared and delicious 1985 Sokol Blosser Red Hills 🍷 at dinner with friends last night.

Was balanced and elegant with bright Oregon 🍒 and earth. 13% alcohol. Mix of Sokol Blosser and Durant Vineyards. Strong color in the glass. Tasty!

Susan Sokol Blosser remembered the 85 Red Hills as “magnificent” in her biography. I agree.

Nice to see a balanced Oregon wine can be lovely in its thirties. From recent tastings of 20+ year old bottles, the elegant and lower alcohol Oregon wines from the better makers have much longer legs than anyone gives them credit for.

Gives me confidence in buying a lot of the recent great WV vintages, as the growers skills and makers arts have just gotten better and better with experience and collaboration.

Unbelievably, I bought this bottle of Oregon winemaking history at an auction a month ago for less than $30.00
Cromwell C

Steven Miller

#82 Post by Steven Miller » August 30th, 2019, 11:45 am

CCoulson wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 4:33 am

Unbelievably, I bought this bottle of Oregon winemaking history at an auction a month ago for less than $30.00
I'm curious which auction...
tread lightly

CCoulson

#83 Post by CCoulson » August 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Steven Miller wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 11:45 am
CCoulson wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 4:33 am

I'm curious which auction...
Acker. Good news is that no one seems to be selling fake Oregon wines(yet)
Cromwell C

CCoulson

#84 Post by CCoulson » August 30th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Somebody had a passion for WV Pinot
https://www.ackerwines.com/content/live ... ionId=1232
Cromwell C

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Travis Fantz » August 30th, 2019, 3:12 pm

There are a lot of half bottles from Oregon in that auction. The Cuvee J bottles would be an awesome pick up if you could get them at a fair price.

CCoulson

#86 Post by CCoulson » August 30th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Travis Fantz wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 3:12 pm
There are a lot of half bottles from Oregon in that auction. The Cuvee J bottles would be an awesome pick up if you could get them at a fair price.
The auction is already finished.
Cromwell C

Travis Fantz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Travis Fantz » August 30th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Makes sense. I was excited to see older bottles of Oregon wine.

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by James Lyon » August 31st, 2019, 10:06 am

CCoulson wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 1:11 pm
Yeah, there were a couple of very active bidders in last months auction and some interesting bids. There was a lot of Ken Wright 375's that sold for a higher per bottle price than a lot of 750's. Same vintage and vineyard.

Back to 2011, I opened a bottle of Omero Ribbon Ridge last night and the color was still very vibrant.

CCoulson

#89 Post by CCoulson » September 1st, 2019, 5:35 pm

Opened two bottles of the 1999 Drouhin Laurene and two of the 2002 Shea Homer on Friday evening. All were delightful. Friends gulped them up.
Cromwell C

James Dennis

#90 Post by James Dennis » September 3rd, 2019, 5:22 pm

As my supply has exceeded my consumption, I hope some 10 year old pinot is improving. At this point, I think 3/4 of my OR pinots are over 10 years. I'm comfortable with my remaining '99 and '02's but have a lot of 08's. After then its basically Thomas, EIEIO and Belle Pente, and most of that is at least 5 years old. In general, I have found that I don't really appreciate OR pinot until its aged. Its probably my palate, but I just don't appreciate it as much when they are just released. Its over time that I find I can really differentiate between the bottles, vineyards, producers, etc... And its when I think OR pinot becomes a huge QPR.

Steven Miller

#91 Post by Steven Miller » September 5th, 2019, 3:12 pm

James Lyon wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 10:06 am
CCoulson wrote:
Yeah, there were a couple of very active bidders in last months auction and some interesting bids.
Do they publish what the lots sold for?
tread lightly

ScottieV

#92 Post by ScottieV » September 5th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Anyone tried older Willakenzie?
Scott A. van Kerkhove
LSUScott @ me . Com

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by James Lyon » September 6th, 2019, 5:31 am

Steven Miller wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 3:12 pm
James Lyon wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 10:06 am
CCoulson wrote:
Yeah, there were a couple of very active bidders in last months auction and some interesting bids.
Do they publish what the lots sold for?
I don't think that Acker posts the results from the monthly (now weekly) internet auctions. "Seaseac" was the winning bidder on 20-30 Oregon lots last month. Based on recent posts, I have an unfounded suspicion that "Seaseac" is a member here. Perhaps "Seaseac" could provide some auction data.

Return to “Wine Talk”