Question about checking wine on flight from NY to Vancouver Canada

Have any of you ever checked a shipping box with wine when traveling from the US to Canada?

I’m heading to Vancouver from NY and staying with family and wanted to bring some wine with me. Per the Canadian boarder services web site, each adult can declare 1.5L of duty free wine as a visitor in the country; and since we’re going to be four adults, I was planning on taking eight bottles. Any thoughts on checking a box of vs stuffing is suit cases using the wine diaper?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. [cheers.gif]

Tape up a Styrofoam case box, we have done that with never a problem.

If you really wanna be complete, include an extra tape roll and a note in the box so customs can close it back up easily.

Also, I see scads of “Wine Checks” these days and it seems like a well thought out product! I think they have exactly an 8 bottle version!

Checking boxes is fine. I just came back from Chicago and had no issues checking a styrofoam shipper. Customs, on the other hand, dinged me for duty for bottles over my exemption, as I’m a Canadian citizen.

One thing I would be careful of, however, is if you get pulled into secondary. You’ll want to make sure you clearly explain to the CBSA that the eight bottles is for four of you and all of you go through. If you get pulled aside separately, you may get dinged. That said, the CBSA has some discretion, and if you explain that it’s for consumption during your vacation, they’ll likely let it slide.

I frequently check my wine shipper when returning to Toronto. Never have had an issue with the airline.
As far as Customs goes, if you are four adults and use a single customs form, if you bring only eight bottles then you can check “no” to the question asking whether you exceed your duty free allowance. You are unlikely to be sent for secondary inspection in these circumstances.

As someone who has traveled over the border several times a year for decades, usually carrying wine, I would second what Jay and Joel said. Canada has always been stricter about customs matters than the US, and there are much higher duties and taxes on alcohol in Canada, so be sure you’re ready with the explanation that it’s for four of you. If I were you, I’d write all four names and your respective cell numbers on the shipper. That might help if you’re challenged.

I don’t think you need to include extra tape in the box for customs to use to re-tape the box. I don’t have any experience with customs, but TSA always uses their own tape to close up my styro cases when I fly with wine.
Maybe put a little extra tale in your luggage, just in case.
Phil Jones

If you are totally transparent you won’t have a problem. I also believe the amount you can bring has doubled recently.

The truth is our border agents are very liberal when it comes to bringing wine to Canada. The bulk of money collected goes to the provincial government and Canadian Customs agents are more interested in stopping dangerous foods and weapons.

If there were an easy way for each person to declare his/her two bottles, it would be easier to be transparent. But since you don’t have to list anything on the declaration form if you’re within the limits, the customs agent might just wonder why there’s a shipper with eight bottles and no mention on the declarations. (Footnote: Many, many years ago, a friend’s sister smuggled a cello to Vancouver, declaring the new handle on the case – a brilliant ploy to appear disarmingly honest. Now the forms wouldn’t even allow you to do that.)

The government’s website says that the limit for visitors remains two bottles.

Thanks for all of the responses. It’s very much appreciated.