Have a "what would you do?" scenario (heat shipping)

I recently purchased a single bottle of very expensive Bordeaux as a gift for a client and planned to have it held until temperatures cooled for shipping. However, I am now in a scenario where I really would like to gift the bottle at the end of this week. I am based in LA where the bottle will be gifted and the bottle is currently in NY. LA this week is 70-85F and New York is 73-85F.

Happy to pay additional for priority overnight shipping via whatever carrier. Would you do it and if so, any particular recommended shipper for temp controlled? Thanks

I would do it and ask them to use an ice pack

Overnight is probably the best option now. . . though, still may be slightly at risk given LA temps this week. But honestly, if you need to gift it now - there is no better options than overnight.

Condensation can become an issue with humidity so if the label is worth protecting you might want to wrap it the bottle in a towel and/ make sure the bottle is packed without being in direct contact with the ice pack.
Second question: is the wine SO rare or the need for that bottle SO specific that you couldn’t reach out to a store in LA and get another bottle or an equivalent quality one without the shipping hassle? I would think some on the board could give you some advice on where to go, maybe even have something in their cellars. Because if the wine really is that special/rare I would hesitate about doing the potential damage of shipping it now.

If the exact vintage/chateau is that important and the bottle that rare - don’t risk shipping

If the exact vintage/chateau is that important and the bottle isn’t rare - source one locally and delay shipping the bottle in NY. Then you can drink that one later and share tasting notes with each other.

If the exact vintage/chateau is unimportant - source a substitute locally and delay shipping the bottle in NY. Then drink the bottle in NY and relish in the fact that you made the right decision to treat yourself.

Appreciate the above input. Unfortunately, it is a situation where the bottle is both incredibly specific and rare (a birth year Petrus). This was never meant to be too much of a time sensitive situation when originally purchased but the circumstances have changed and would be ideal to gift this week. [head-bang.gif]

Most of LA is supposed to be low-mid '90s this week. Tarzana is getting to 108 degrees on Wednesday. I wouldn’t risk it at all. Too many things can go wrong.

Call the store and ask how they handle this. If they can ship in a well insulated shipper overnight, I would go ahead and do it. Given the cost of the bottle, I assume shipping costs are almost irrelevant. Have them use a 12-pack shipper, put your bottle in a center slot, and surround with several chilled (or even frozen) bottles of water. Should be just fine.

If its really that important, dont pack in a wine box at all. Have someone in NY purchase a cooler such as a RTIC or Yeti, wrap the bottle in a towel as suggested then pack with ice packs and some form of bubble wrap to keep bottle stable, Duct tape the cooler shut. Overnight shipping and the cooler are going to cost a fortune, guessing $3-500 total but if your really serious about getting that one bottle then this will make sure it survives the trip.

Pay even more and have it shipped overnight AM delivery to a business that opens early. Those 90 degree temps are rolling in around noon and you want it out of the truck by 10.

I agree with most all the the advice given here, esp Randy’s suggestion.

The only thing I’d add is: whatever you ask them to do, keep in mind that they might not do it and might ship it anyways…if so, what then? Seems better to think through that ahead of time.

I esp like Randy’s suggestion cuz it give you the most control over the situation. The business address for delivery is a no brainer…and the AM Delivery option can be verified once you get the tracking number (and if they wine shop forgets that part, possibly you can rectify that). My 2 cents anyways.

Or…maybe just take a valium and go with icepacks and overnight shipping.

Tell the client that you have a special gift, but that it will need to await cooler weather.

Or give them a copy of the label with an IOU for the fall.

Great minds think alike!!

I am surprised no one has mentioned Fedex Cold Chain delivery overnight on temperature controlled vehicles with temperature monitoring. Unless you have a general mistrust of them.

Similar to Alan Rath’s response: I’d ask the merchant to pack in a 4-bottle or larger styro shipper with ice packs in the empty slots and send on Monday FedEx first delivery next day to a business address where I know it can be received.

Even if something goes awry and it takes 2 days to get there it should be fine.

If the merchant sounds hesitant about the special packing instructions I wouldn’t ship now, and would remind myself of Mick Jagger’s excellent advice: “You can’t always get what you want.”

PS - what business are you in and are you looking for new clients? champagne.gif

Invent a time machine, go forward in time to when it’s cool enough to ship safely. Once the wine has arrived, go back in time and voila!

Bruce

That’s just silly, Bruce! We go to the late ‘40s and grab 1945 and 1947 Bordeaux instead!

Since you’re talking Petrus (lots of money spent) spend $150 and get it shipped overnight am delivery if it is that important for this week. Get them to add a few ice packs and it will be fine. 73-85 is not terribly hot, especially considering most of the delivery will be taking place between 7PM-8AM (low temperatures of the day) and be on a plane for a several hours too…