Recommend some widely available Right Bank Bordeaux’s

I like the flavor profile of Right Bank Bordeaux. My understanding is they are more Merlot and Cab Franc based. Can anyone recommend any French QPR’s in this catagory or California wines made in this style that I can get in Colorado?

I like Chateau Trotanoy and it’s readily available. About $180.

Also, Feytit-Clinet, Pomerol. Although, Suckling loves it, so my palate may be off. About $130?

Geez, there are so many…I went to K&L to check prices, but just peruse and see what you think! The site lists tasting notes…

http://www.klwines.com/Products/r?r=57%204294967276%204294967164+4294966975&d=39&t=&o=8&z=False

Many…MANY…great bargains there.

What price range are you looking for?

1 Like

$20-$50 is preferred.

1 Like

I was actually hoping for guidance on K&L. It is easy for me to buy from them. Thank you.

1 Like

Lol. When someone says readily available they don’t mean $175 wines. Something that’s readily available and able to be drink on a regular basis.

It’s always tough to give recommendations when people don’t share their budget and style preferences.

But - K&L has 2012 Petit Village for $50. On the young side but probably enjoyable now (if you like ‘em young). Or ageable. If you want to age them more (and spend a tad more) you could look look at 2015/ 2016/2017 Petit-Village, Bourgneuf, Petite L’Eglise, Feytit-Clinet. The last couple of years would be futures. All Pomerols. I love Pomerol :slight_smile:.

$20-$50. Merlot/Cab Franc fruit

Mathilde is the best value on Right Bank, period.

Gazin.

Jonathan Maltus is on the short list of the greatest Parkerized winemakers in the world [up there with Sparky & Chris Ringland]:

Château Teyssier - Wikipedia

There’s now an entry level wine [which I don’t think I’ve ever had], called Laforge [roughly 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc]:

Where to buy Chateau Laforge, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru | prices & local stores in USA

It looks like his Le Carre can still be had for just shy of $50 [according to Wikipedia, the vineyard is 88% Merlot and 12% Cabernet Franc]:

Where to buy Le Carre, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru | prices & local stores in USA

Unfortunately, Les Asteries is now in the $75 to $125 range, and Le Dome can be $300 to $400 [when it gets a triple-digit score from Parker].

Back in the day, I thought the Nardian blanc was the best wine in his portfolio, and it looks like you might be able to find it in the $40 to $60 range:

Where to buy Nardian | prices & local stores in USA

Maltus also made some dynamite shiraz for Colonial Estates [it was the only time I ever got really strong bacon fat from an Aussie wine], but apparently it’s been almost a decade since he’s had a presence Down Under.

Thumbs up.

Help me out here. Gazin…

Les Cruzelles from Denis Durantou. He’s the owner of l’Eglise Clinet, one of the very top wines on the Right Bank. To me, Cruzelles will never be confused with his top wine, but it drinks above it’s price point of roughly $25/btl. It’s not particularly lush or fruit forward though. If you want something riper, there are plenty in St Emilion. I just don’t know which to recommend. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Chateau Gazin, Pomerol.

Excellent wine, but not cheap.

I do not know that this is widely available but, just now, there are 5 magnums available here, (San Francisco Bay area):
2015 Dominique, La Bordeaux Blend
Bordeaux Blend 1.5L
$104.94

1 Like

We really enjoy Beau Sejour Becot. The 2014 and 2015 are both very good. These will be at the top of your price range. At the lower end of the price range, I would recommend Haut Brisson and Tour St.-Christophe, if you are looking for a modern style.

Thanks,
Ed

LOL, good point. This one: https://www.cellartracker.com//list.asp?fInStock=0&Table=List&iUserOverride=0&Wine=Ch�teau+Gazin+Pomerol#selected%3DW2976271_1_K93216736563852254edb6dffd158e4c2

https://bordoverview.com/?wine=Gazin

Pomerols as a whole are expensive. Finding a well made pomerol that doesn’t cost a fortune and is reliable year in and year out is tough. Gazin is a little on the modern side, but I like it very much.

I am gonna have some fun researching and trying these. Thanks to all!

Barde Haut is one of the more popular wines on the BWE site, appealing to both traditionalists and modernists.