White Burg. producers to visit near Beaune?

A friend just mentioned that she and her family will be in Burgundy next week, staying Beaune. She would like to visit places
to taste excellent white Burgs. that can be purchased during the visit. I haven’t been in years, so I’m looking for suggestions for
her.

Thanks!

Bruce

Vincent Latour (Latour-Labille) in Meursault is a nice visit.

The caveau in Chassagne-Montrachet isn’t a producer but is a place to visit and taste excellent white burgs that can be purchased (and some good reds, too).

I haven’t been in a number of years, but Hubert Lamy in St Aubin is a great visit with fantastic wines.

Beaune blanc isn´t really the best white you can find … there are some good ones, but …

I´d recommend either go South to Meursault … there are dozens of fine producers …
or go North to Pernand-Vergelesses/Savigny-les-Beaune/Aloxe-Corton …

Many fine producers, but why not try "Clos Berthet” 1er Cru Monopole from Domaine Dubreuil-Fontaine, or their Corton-Charlemagne …
or directly at Domaine Rapet …

Bouchard has a tasting room right in Beaune.

Drouhin has a nice cave tour in Beaune. You will taste both white and red.

We had a nice visit to Dubreuil-Fontaine. It’s easy to arrange and they tasted a wide range of their reds and whites including the Corton Charlemagne. They have wine to sell as well.

good call

Thanks for all the responses. I sent my friend a link to this thread, so she and her husband can follow up on all the recs.

I visited Bouchard many years ago. Fun visit, but before their more recent upswing.

Bruce

We found driving in the area to be quick and easy so not sure that staying close matters unless it’s an issue of transportation. If they will have a car, then I strongly recommend Marc Morey. Sabine speaks better English than she thinks but knowing some French will make things easier.

Our visit was one of the highlights of the trip. We tasted a few barrel samples then almost her entire Domain lineup from bottle. Only thing I think we didn’t taste was the Batard. I really don’t think that these wines get the love they deserve as I find them to be very fine.

We set up our appointment via e-mail. Allow a few minutes extra to find a place to park and then to locate the building. Parking and markings are a little sparse.

I had a nice visit at Jean Chartron. The host was a nice English lady who was responsive to email, and they shipped back to the US.

Shipping back to the US is pretty easy these days. Most places in Burgundy use a company called Côte d’Or Inports. They are very easy to work with.

With the proviso that I’ve never been to France, it seems to me that if you go to one of the Mom-n-Pop growers, then you really owe it to them to purchase a financially-significant amount of wine from them.

I don’t know whether there’s any sort of an accepted standard for what to do here, but at a bare minimum, I’d guess at least a six-pack of 1er Cru wines or a 12-pack of Village wines [at US Retail prices; whereas if you’re offered the wines at cellar door prices, then you might want to double those quantities].

Because if a Mom-n-Pop invests an hour or more in entertaining you, and they get nothing out of you in return, then that’s pretty brutal.

There is a wine bar/tasting room Le caveau - Caveau de Puligny-Montrachet
That is right on the square when arriving in Puligny Montrachet. They have wines from 250 producers.
1 rue de Poiseul Puligny-Montrachet

I agree, but many of these places don’t even sell wine at the domaine. Quite a few times we have inquired and they simply tell us where to go to find their wines.

I would assume in such cases they are also fine with buying the wine back in the US. Helps keep their distribution chains intact. It is also important to write up the visits on this and other wine boards. Esp. For younger growers, but really for most of them, this kind of publicity is great for them.