Winemakers And Politics?

As sharply divided politically as this country is, it would seem a risky proposition for any business person to be overtly political. But since this is a wine forum, I’m curious about winemakers who choose not only to espouse their own political views, but also to denigrate those with opposing viewpoints. Is it enough to keep you from buying their wine? Or, if you like their product are you able to ignore what at times seem to be their political rants and diatribes? Thanks.

This is my thoughts on the matter:

I refuse to let politics enter into the equation of whether I purchase a product, visit a restaurant, see a movie, etc.

I wonder if winemakers should refuse to sell their wine to people they disagree with politically. Same thing, no?

Politics does have some amount of sway in whether a purchase a product, visit a restaurant, see a movie etc. My logic is probably not consistently applied, though I ope whatver my logic it doesn’t involve some underlying desire to be morally superior.

And I do respect other’s rights to do what they want - whether or not they want to consider politics.

Leave Jim alone.

champagne.gif

I disdain these wines only because they don’t taste good, no other reason…

I’ll drink Jordan wines even though he’s a political kook. [cheers.gif] (I mean that good naturedly.)

Don’t know of any winemakers that are overtly political, seems to me if they were they would most likely shrink their customer base.I’m not sure it would make a difference to me but who knows, I guess if it is ok to refuse service to someone because of their political stance then the reverse could possibly be true as well.

I don’t generally spend much time thinking about winemakers’ politics, never try to find out what they are, and assume I buy many wines where I might have fundamental disagreements with the winemaker’s views. However , that said there have been a few times I’ve stopped buying wines based on what winemaker publicly expressed. The most obvious would be Montevertine, for many years my go to Tuscan. When the winemaker made public comments (winery FB page I believe) that I felt were racist, I decided to no longer buy Montevertine (I still enjoy drinking the wines, I save them for BYO social justice fundraisers). I also didn’t buy de Montille wines for many years based on father’s “I am satisfied” comments after 9/11. I don’t search for reasons not to buy,but if someone has views I vehemently disagree with, why give them my money?
I am happy the head of Barilla apparently backtracked on anti-LGBTQ comments, as I really like the Plus pasta :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting Eric.

It’s a bit hypothetical. Depends how much I love the wine, and how much I detest their views. No simple rule. I can sleep well buying Chave while the wines remain great.

Even though I like the 805, I cannot morally justify buying anything from Firestone Walker Brewing anymore, so yes.

I’m just not aware of any wine makers’ political views…

I’m with you here. it depends to me what kind of disagreement i have with the winemaker. disagreements and different opinions are important and are not reasons to separate from each other, but there are some places I know I would draw the line and decide even the best winemakers can be forgotten for. theres too much wine out there to feel devoted to a single bigot.

I am way more worried about how they treat their vineyards and vineyard workers than about who they vote for.

Ever heard of Figgins?

Of course. If a person is being obnoxious, why do you have to deal with them or their products? Why support them, especially if they hold values and ideas in opposition to your beliefs? Of course, there always is that one smug, self-centered, disagreeable winemaker that has that one product soo unique that you’ll stand behind all the other slobbering masses in line to buy their wine, but those should be few and far between.

? [tumbleweed.gif]

Curious on this one - what did I miss? Seriously - not sure I remember ‘controversial’ with them.

Cheers

Yep I had the same question. Although maybe I don’t want the answer as I love almost all things FW does.

I am aware of at least one or two winery owners, on the board that are clearly anti Trump, and have posted frequently in the political forum. They do not post these views in any other forums so those who don’t subscribe to the political sub forum are likely not aware of their views. Even if it became common knowledge on the board it would likely have next to no effect on their sales, as this board is mainly liberals. If however they started broadcasting their views in red states, all over the media could be a big mistake.

A statement from Firestone Walker Brewing Company

Some months ago, we received inquiries about a donation to the last presidential inauguration.

This was not a donation from Firestone Walker Brewing Company. Firestone Walker Brewing Company does not engage in politics and does not make donations to political parties or administrations. The original sign in our Taproom stated” “no religion, no politics, and no belching.” That motto has always served us well.

The donation came from a Firestone family entity that has no connection to the brewery. There is a wide range of views within the greater Firestone family, as there are in many families and in the greater community of beer lovers. Brooks Firestone, father of brewery co-founder Adam Firestone, has been active in Republican Party politics since the Eisenhower administration and served two terms in the California State Assembly in the 1990s. The donation in question was rooted in those private personal interests.

Our brewery prides itself on being a non-political, non-endorsing, non-partisan enterprise. We respect that our customers and staff have a wide range of opinions on all matters political. While they may have divergent beliefs on other matters, we know they share a common love and passion for craft beer. Beer before glory.