TN: 2016 Myriad "Halcon" Syrah. Wowser.

Have never had this before. Tried it courtesy of Mike Grammer.

The last time I had a Syrah from Myriad was about 5 years ago and it was from Carneros. Might actually have been a Quivet. At any rate, got to try this today. If you’ve bought some of this, you will be very glad you did.

2016 Myriad “Halcon Vineyard” Syrah, Mendocino Highlands, $45
Have never had this before. Rather translucent ruby color. Medium-bodied. For a wine with this body, aromas roar from the glass. Violets, plum and a modest gamey, barbecue aroma in the nose. Primary aromas at this stage but wrapped within a savory, smooth mouthfeel. Tannins are moderate and this allows the fruit to really shine. Moderate structure. Feels like Viognier is in this, but it is 100% Syrah. Very Cote-Rotie like but with the body of Cornas. Only 13.5% alcohol. 50% whole cluster that does not add any herbal notes but probably contributes to structure. Reasonable amount of acid in this. A ridiculous steal at $45. Ready now and over the next 6-7 years. Might be insane with prime rib. Why wait?
94pts

Great note, but you are ruining my image of all you winemakers sitting around together in the evening getting ‘loaded up’ on each other’s wines! [cheers.gif]

Mike works some serious magic with that grape. His command over whole-cluster is pretty inspiring.

it’s one of the few Cali Syrahs I’ll drink.

Love the juxtaposition of Mikes rich style with this ultra cool/cold site.

Mike’s syrahs are fantastic, probably better than his cabs fro my palate.

As much as I love Mike’s Cabs (and Cabs in general), his way with Syrah is great, yes it’s wowzer. Between Quivet and Myriad, we are spoiled. There certainly is a style and continuity to his wines, but I think his Syrah’s strike a wonderful balance of California fruit, place, and winemaking skill. They drink well young, and can age. I was at a tasting in St. Helena in May, and was stunned with the quality of the Syrah’s, even with his higher end Napa Cabs on the table.

wonderful note Roy;
having been fortunate enough experience Mike’s Syrahs with some age on them, I had resigned myself to cram these in the back of the cellar so as not be temped to commit the inevitable infanticide again; however, your note has me on the verge of giving in to temptation

Perfectly stated!

I’ll always be more of a Cab guy, at least in terms of CA wine…but Mike SMITH’s Syrah?? It’s just mind-boggling, especially for the price of admission – redonk QPR, year-in & year-out. The aromatics are INSANE.