TN's: Arcadian Tasting

There’s really nothing for me to say that I haven’t already said numerous times before. Joe is a fantastic host, and always a pleasure to spend time with. His wines rock, and everybody who continues to sleep on them will some day be sorry. Somehow, the two Sleepys we had on tasting here were each the best bottle I’ve had of those wines — will I manage to keep my hands off my remaining bottles long enough to see them to maturity?!? On with the notes …

2006 Arcadian Chardonnay Sleepy Hollow Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (5/12/2018)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 15 minutes on Day 1; tasted again on Day 3 –

NOSE: rich and lactic on Day 1 — smells like it will have great acidity. Day 3: expressive; incredible melangé of pineapple fruit leather, mango, and papaya.

BODY: bright, rich – almost neon – yellow color.

TASTE: Day 1: rich; high acid; lemony; minerals on the finish. Day 3: 13.7% alc. not noticeable; slight woodsy spice; breathtaking, seamless presentation. This wine continues to flex, and still appears to be on its upswing. Drink now and into the foreseeable future. Stunning Chardonnay!

50, 5, 14, 18, 9 = (96 pts.)

2012 Arcadian Chardonnay Clos Pepe Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/12/2018)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 15 minutes on Day 1; tasted again on Day 3 –

NOSE: Day 1; medium rich; lemon & hint of mandarin. Day 3: “lighter” aromatics than the 2006; buttery.

BODY: medium-full bodied.

TASTE: Day 1: this has put on some weight since last time I had this — I like it more now than before. Day 3: medium+ acidity; pleasant, embedded minerality; 13.9% alc. not noticeable; I like where this appears to be going — needs time.

50, 5, 12, 16, 7 = (90+ pts.)

2008 COQ (Arcadian) Chardonnay Fat Coq - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey (5/12/2018)
– popped and poured –
– tasted blind over approx. 15 minutes –

NOSE: reductive upon opening; lemony; medium+ expressivness.

BODY: medium bodied; slightly hazy golden yellow color.

TASTE: smooth; orangey; this has developed very impressively since I last had it; ridiculous value at the current asking price; medium-short finish; embedded mineral note; 14.1% alc. is well-hidden.

1999 Arcadian Pinot Noir Jill’s Cuvée - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (5/12/2018)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 15 minutes –

NOSE: expressive; red and purple fruits – mostly purple – aged aromas; beautiful leathery tones that bring to mind an aged wine.

BODY medium-light bodied; age noticeable in the wine’s color.

TASTE: smooth; nicely aged; tertiary; old wood furniture; high acidity; sweet leather; baked cherry; fir; 13.9% alc. nicely integrated. Delicious!

2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Sleepy Hollow Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (5/12/2018)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 30 min. –

NOSE: red-fruited, and floral; hint of pepperoni.

TASTE: good acidity; fine tannin ; hints of leather and spice; this was a fantastic bottle of this wine – perhaps the best I’ve had – and seemed to be at the beginning of its prime window; has this wine found another gear?! Straddles the line between primary and tertiary. Drink or continue holding. Gut impression score: mid 90’s.

2009 Arcadian Pinot Noir Francesca’s Cuvée - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (5/12/2018)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 30 min. –

NOSE: “pretty”; floral; medium+ expressiveness.

BODY: magenta-garnet color of medium depth; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: floral; red-fruited; high acidity; 13.8% alc. not noticeable; graceful, with beautiful balance.

2003 Arcadian Syrah Hommage à Max - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (5/12/2018)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 30 min. on Day 1; revisited on Day 3 –

NOSE: “dark” and woodsy. Day 3: aged fruits; medium+ expressiveness; black cherry; garrigué.

TASTE: licorice; purple fruits; garrigué; Does not require more time, but there’s no rush to drink, either.

Nice notes.
2001 Sleepy Hollow is an all-time favorite for me. One of Joe’s best ever. Alongside '97 Pisoni.
Reminds me I need to pop some Arcadian soon.

Don’t you have an endless stash, Dennis?!?

Nice notes Brian! I had no idea Joe had any Coq left? How much was he selling the fat coq for?

$15, iirc. Might have been $25, but pretty sure it was $15.

Ha! Seemed that way, once a long time ago. Don’t really buy Arcs anymore.
Though, I do know some people. [wink.gif]