IPNC Salmon Bake? BYO? (+McMinnville Dining)

Heading out to Oregon next week and will be going to the IPNC Salmon Bake on Saturday night. One thing I can’t work out though is whether I should bring anything over from my cellar?

Also - slightly connected - we are doing our own thing for the other evenings so if any McMinnville locals are able to recommend anywhere to eat I’d be most grateful!

Thanks in advance.

There will be tons of wine open. Almost everyone at your table will open a bottle or two to share. Encjoy!

Thanks Mike - I’ll have to have a root and decide what to bring. I suspect that it might end up being Champagne or German Riesling.

It is getting out of my price range now, but for a special dining experience the Painted Lady in Newberg is special. At least that was my experience 5 yrs ago while attending IPNC.

I have been the last two years. The wine poured for the Friday night dinner seems to be of better quality than the Salmon Bake selections. I usually bring a couple of Pinot because there is usually alot of sharing both nights.

For Salmon Bake I would bring something - sharing something you are stoked about is what Salmon Bake is all about! Champagne and Riesling are great choices. Hope to meet you there.

As far as Dining in McMinnville, I’d recommend Thistle, Pizza Capo (at Allegory Brewing), Valley Commissary (Breakfast/Lunch). Nick’s is the local classic.

Thanks everyone - really appreciated - now I need to work out what I can jettison to bring more bottles… Just out of interest, would people be interested in tasting a good English sparkler (not sure how widely available they are out in the US) - probably Nyetimber or Hambledon?

Andy - likewise - I’ll have to bring a Union flag so I’m identifiable…

Lionel, I’m not going to Salmon Bake this year but yes, definitely bring something to share, and (were I there) I for one would LOVE to try these English sparklers. Been hearing lots about them, haven’t tried any. Enjoy, it’s a fun time.

Vincent.

Will need to ask my other half for her blessing, but I wonder if there’d be any appetite for an offline in Portland one night (we’ve got 2 nights in the city at the beginning and end of our trip!) - I might be able to bring over a couple of bottles to share!

I’m game if the timing works!

Tish tells me that Mon 23rd would work!

I think that works for me, let me check and follow up.

Vincent

Sounds great - thanks!

+1 Thistle

Lionel, apologies for the delay, but Monday turns out to not be possible. I was going to be out of town but that changed, I then forgot I already had something in town we’re i here (and I am). However if we could meet up before dinner? Or no worries, I’m still going to seek out those English sparklers.

Hi Vincent.

No worries! I have a bottle in my bag so would be very pleased to meet up before dinner and share it! Same applies to any other WineBeserkers who would fancy joining!

Lionel,

Plus 1 to Andy’s recommendations for food, and I would definitely add Pura Vida to the list.

I was fortunate enough to have a bottle of English sparkling wine in a blind tasting awhile back and was absolutely blown away. I am out of town next weekend but you should have no problem finding enthusiasts to taste. Would you mind posting a few of the producers you think are doing good work with sparkling, so i can keep aneye out for them? (In addition to the two you me tioned)

This is correct. Friday is considered the Grand dinner and it showcases some of the very best wines at the event, and the most wines from the IPNC cellar.

Marcus - to be honest I’m not 100% sure aside from those. Meon Hill were doing good things but have been acquired by Hambledon in the past couple of years. We did a blind tasting vs various grower Champagnes a couple of years back but am struggling to find my notes - I will carry on looking…
Nyetimber is my go-to usually. I have also heard very good things about their single vineyard wines but haven’t tried them and they’re fully priced at around £100 at home.