RIP Auguste Clape

Sad news from the Rhone valley

Sad. The Clape Cornas back in the 1990s was an epiphany wine for me, easily 1/3 of my “cellar” is now Northern Rhone syrah. He helped define Cornas. Brooding, powerful, gamey wines of distinction. Have not had any Cornas bottlings since a 2010 Renaissance - they need more sleep - but buy and drink the CDRs and Vin de Amis with regularity. The VDA is a perennial buy for me by the case.

Sad, indeed. He was the last of his generation since Noel Verset died three years ago.

Here’s a photo I took of him in his cellar in 1988.
August Clape.JPG
(This was shot by natural light – a ~60W lightbulb – on Tri-X with a Leica M4 and a 35mm f/2 Summicron. I’m sure I shot wide open.)

Love old b & w photos

Such a depth of image

Marcel Juge still hanging on.

Fu is hustlin Juge to make one more, just
One more vintage. 2016 Fuge.

Ah, right. But when I was cutting my teeth on Northern Rhone in the 80s, Juge always took a back seat to Clape and Verset. Sorry, Charlie.

[stirthepothal.gif] [smileyvault-ban.gif] [berserker.gif]

Charlie says Clape has no fruit. :wink:

Just because your decades of living in humidity have made you unable to taste flavor doesn’t mean you should misquote me :stuck_out_tongue:

The humid tropics are all about fruit, baby! Where do you think the exotic stuff comes from! I Need to move to a cooler climate. :wink:

Always loved John Livingstone-Learmoth’s line that if Auguste Clape were to have a monument, it should be a stone, not a statue. Seems apposite today.

The Clape line up is impressive work from top to bottom.

Yup.
and lovely photo John

John Livingstone-Learmonth has a nice tribute to Clape on Twitter with a photo:

@DrinkRhone
Tweet 146 13 July 1925-15 July 2018 Auguste Clape, Child of Nature, my Professor and Hero. May you taste the very best Syrah above the hills of the Ardèche, mon très cher ami #clape #cornas

Sad to hear this. Glad I was lucky enough to have met him two years ago. And lucky for us all that the domaine continues on in good hands.

RIP, Sir. [cheers.gif] (looking for the emoji where sad me is raising a glass in tribute, but this is what I found…)

FYI, Eric Asimov has a poignant ode to Clape on the obits page of the NY Times today.

No real words. Great wines of place and person.
D8B60F0D-7286-4158-8E76-B2BC6C9A3468.jpeg

I remember first buying the 1981 Clape cornas at MacArthers In DC back in the early 80s for I think $6.99 ea., and remember trying a glass and thinking “very tasty”. RIP [cheers.gif]