TN: Some recent Carlisle, Loring, Produttori, Samsara, Baudana

Carlisle Monte Rosso Vineyard Zinfandel 2012 - Only have a few older Carlisles and was really looking forward to this one. Corked, arrgghhhh, neighbors heard my scream!

Carlisle Montafi Zinfandel 2013 - Opened this after the corked Monte Rosso. This is what I was hoping for: delicious concentrated black/mixed berry fruits with depth, tannin, spice that is all well balanced. Deep flavor that goes on and on. Did I say delicious?

Produttori del Barbaresco Nebbiolo Langhe 2016 - Bright fresh strawberry/red fruits, crispy acidity, some rose hints, balanced. Very nice and good match with grilled chicken braciolettini.

Loring Kessler Haak Pinot Noir 2014 - Dark black cherry fruit on nose and palate; big, bold, fruit-driven pinot with enough acidity to balance. Very tasty for this style; I think I like Loring young.

Loring Pinot Noir Santa Barbara 2015 – Somewhat soft and muddled, generic plum and some cherry flavors; not sure I would pick it out as a Pinot; disappointing after the Kessler Haak

Samsara Syrah Melville 2013 - Great floral nose, darker fruit, some coffe, florals on the palate. Nice depth but still light on its feet. Delicious now; can it get better or just different?

Baudana Serralunga Barolo 2010 - Decanted 1 hour. Curious to check in on this and it is already opened and ready with nice florals, rose, some tar, good fruit and tannin; opened up more as the evening went on. Will hold off on remaining bottles as there is a lot of upside here. Great match with mushroom ragu and fresh pasta.

Great notes, but such a bummer on the 12 Carlslise MR. Not to add insult to injury but I had one a couple months ago and it was crazy good. Hopefully you can source another one!

Thanks for the update on the Baudana, as a have a couple. The Serralunga is their ‘normale’ I believe.

Yes, Rich, I’ve enjoyed your notes on the 2012’s and they helped convince me to pop this now.

Markus - yes, I think you are right; my notes show it is a blend from both the Ceretta and Baudana vineyards. Mine were part of a Berserker Day deal.