TN: 2014 François Chidaine Vouvray Clos Baudoin

Didn’t find a note on this wine/vintage with a quick search, so starting a new thread.

2014 François Chidaine Vouvray Clos Baudoin - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (7/12/2018)
Good medium light hay color, shows a pleasant saline/fruit nose; haven’t looked at my previous notes, and some 14s have seemed a little advanced, but this one is clean and youthful, with great depth of fruit, nice acidity, some mildly savory notes along with nice chalky minerality on the long-ish finish. Very nice bottle. (92 pts.)

Finally, some good news about these. Maybe I’ll open mine soon (only have one of the Baudoin).

Alan, thanks for the note. I am done now with my 2014s, and I found this Baudoin to be the best of the vintage for Chidaine (note–my context is the Sec cuvees, as I don’t drink nor buy the others anymore. I am allergic to sugar and RS).

• 2014 François Chidaine Vouvray Clos Baudoin - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (7/1/2018)
    This bottle (and my final one, too) drank far better than the one last year. This showed all the right things, exhibiting acidity, orchard fruits, light grapefruit/lime and moderate weight with a brushing of astrigence. I also believe this showed the best of all the 2014 Chidaine I have had to date.

Posted from CellarTracker

From the vineyard which Chidaine bought shrewdly from Poniatowski.

I had a bottle of this recently to check in after reading Alan’s note. Well, there was a slightly brown tint to the gold color, but the nose and palate were very fresh with citrus, honey and orchard fruits, the mid palate being a little diluted. Somewhat better on day 2, but on day 4 the wine had both a more mature and unctuous lanolin element and denser, palate gripping minerality without signs of fatigue. Definitely a"wow" experience for me.

BTW, I agree that the 2010 Boulay Monts is lean and mean right now, but think/hope it is still too young.

I popped this tonight, and while it didn’t wow me, I can also report that it showed as it should and was not advanced as many of the other Chidaine 14s have been. Still not as good as the '14 Breuil was shortly after release, but it’s better than the Breuil has showed lately.