Need Recs for a Gateway Red (Zinfandel?)

A friend was mentioned that his wife generally likes sweet white wine, maybe an occasional Sauvignon Blanc. He’s a red drinker. He asked for a wine that could transition a white wine drinker to red.

My first thought was Pinot, but versions with RS are disgusting. I was thinking maybe Zinfandel, since the brain perceives alcohol as sugar. Any suggestions for gateway reds $30(ish) and under are welcome.

TIA

I’d say start with something jammy like a rombauer Zin. Very fruit forward which is generally likeable by non red drinkers in my experience.

Nick is right, a ripe, rich, low tannin red is probably a good thing to try. I find Rombauer zin disgusting, but that might be a place to start, plus it’s easy to get and not that expensive.

I think your Prisoner / Apothic / Meiomi types (shudder) might work there too.

If her palate doesn’t require such extreme sweetness, wines like Seghesio zin, Yangarra Shiraz, Opolo zin, and Turley Juvenile might be good entrees into red.

What kinds of reds does the guy drink?

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/rancho+zabaco+sonoma+heritage+vines+zinfandel+county+north+coast+california+usa
Easy to procure, consistent, affordable.

Wow, that’s a good call.

Turley Juvenille is in that price range and is very approachable, as well.

Merlot may also work, Columbia Crest and Clos du Bois are cheap and good examples.

I bet Cline and Rosenblum have Zin’s for that budget, too.

Meomi. Perfect transition red, IMO.

I think it could work. It’s not what you would like, in this case many of the characteristics that you dislike will be attractive to a sweet wine drinker.

My conscience forbids such a consideration. [wink.gif]

[cheers.gif]

Hmm, I think the recs for bigger red wines might be off the make. I’d say there’s more chance of converting someone with a lighter, easier drinking red. A decent pinot that’s not overly rich, tannic, or complicated. No specific recommendations other than that.

In the past, I’ve had “white wine only” drinkers fall for a good Cotes du Rhône. I haven’t had many lately, but did have a 2016 St. Cosme CdR last month that might be a good choice. Fruit forward, mild tannins, alcohol not too high (which I find with some cheaper zindandels). It won’t win awards for complexity, but it was easy for two of us to make a bottle disappear.

Another excellent call!

Yeah, I think a ripe CdR is a good call, too.

Anything by Chris Ringland.

Either his Australian Shiraz, or his various Spanish Garnacha blends.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/southern+belle/1/usa

As for USA Cabernet, the buzz around here is for the 2015 Austin Hope [Paso Robles] & the 2015 Scattered Peaks [Napa] - either of those would be great for a newbie.

Silver Oak, take her to Silver Oak. Hell they converted Alan.

Sorry to propose elongating the transition process, but I would suggest a fuller bodied rose. Serving it chilled will provide familiarity and reduce sense of alcohol. Meanwhile, the taste profile (e.g. pinot noir or rhone blend) can be a nice gateway.
Good luck,
Peter

I host a bi-monthly casual tasting that has included non-red wine drinking ladies, as well as men. Their objection is usually to “dry” wines, which seems to include oak and tannins. Lots of fruit forward wines avoid these, and surprise the ladies with their “goodness” in a red, Zins among them. I have had good luck introducing California Rhones as well. Carlisle does well, as do a lot of Paso wines. When they find they like some red wines, they are willing to try more.

Around here the most common gateway reds are Valpolicella Ripasso (some have quite a bit of residual sugar if needed) or barberas if sweetness isn’t necessary.

A light Pinot Noir - and don’t forget to slightly chill it -

One of the biggest issues with people just starting to like red wines is; they can’t get used to the ‘room temp’ most reds are served at.

Bring it down to 45-50 degrees.

And I’d stay away from anything heavy like a Zin, Aussie Shiraz or a domestic Cabernet - keep it light and easy -

Beaujolais or a Lambrusco (bubbles help)