Visiting Tokaj: Demeter, Majoros, and Bott

This trip has been a long time coming for me. With a Hungarian wife (and godmother) I’ve been exposed to the wines of Hungary over the past decade or two and have always liked the wines. Though my interest in other regions relegated Hungary/ Tokaj to mostly back-burner status, I’ve long considered taking a bigger bite out of the regions and wines.

Some Background on the Region:
Tokaj-Hegyalja, or the Tokaj wine region is situated mostly in Northeast Hungary, stretching in to Southwest Slovakia. There are 28 named villages and a little over 11,000 hectares, with about half of the land planted to vines. This pic below was taken as we left the town, on the way to one of the nearest Tokaj villages, Tarcal.
IMG_4845.JPG
The region suffered through the world wars and the effects of communism, with an emphasis on quantity and output, the region’s reputation and wines were shot. Thankfully, things began to change over time, and Tokaj was granted town status in 1986 and was named a UNESCO world heritage site in 2002. As focus on quality and focus on promoting/restoring Tokaj’s potential has gathered momentum, it stands to reason that the wines are only getting better.
IMG_4902.JPG
Here are some producer and tasting notes from my trip.

Zoltan Demeter
IMG_4857.JPG
Established in 1993, (first wines in 1996) this is a top flight, small producer managing 7 hectares, with many site specific wines from dry to Aszu. Everything in the cellar is done at home here, as their winemaking facility, labeling and bottling is done 100% at their property, which is a recognized heritage site (home) built in 1790! It was an honor to get a visit here, as the property is immaculate, with great respect for the past and an eye toward the future. It’s rather small but maximizes its space expertly, and gives the impression that the pursuit of quality here is second to none. You may see this producer listed as Demeter Zoltan, which is because it’s Hungarian custom to list the last name first.

2016 Kakas Furmint
Slight sweetness on entry, lemon/lime, mixed apple/pear fruit accented by some chalk and mineral impressions. Finishes soft and graceful. Mix of stainless and used oak.
7.6 g/l rs. 12% abv

2016 Szerelmi Harslevelu
Softer entry, Fuji apple, lychee, with just a hint of citrus, and nice clean minerality and medium acidity. Slightly more up front fruit (as you’d expect with Harslevelu) with good purity of lychee and elderflower flavor.
9.2 g/l rs. 13% abv

2016 Osz-Hegy Yellow Muscat
Nectarine, white flowers, honey on the nose. Leaves a dry impression on the palate, with some lemon/lime fruit, and nice sizzle on the back. Small impression of alcohol. All stainless. Reminds me of a high end Viognier with the sweet nose and dry palate. 9.2 g/l rs. 13.5% abv

2017 Boda Furmint, V.V.
Annette was nice enough to bring out a shiner of this. The old vine concentration was immediately apparent on this, more serious and intense, it made me wake up a bit. Love the complexity and medium + finish on this. Hoping Blue Danube to import some.
IMG_4856.JPG
2013 Eszter
Apricot, dates, honey aromatics are very pleasing and accessible. Effortless on the palate as well, it delivers brilliant sweetness with good complexity of fruit and acidity.
Perhaps not quite as thought provoking or complex as good Aszu, which is partly due to being raised in stainless steel, and selection. However, this is just a brilliant effort and the one we took home with us.

Blend of Furmint, Harslevelu, Yellow Muscat. Guessing the blend is traditional 70-85% Furmint, 10-25% Harslevelu, 1-5% Muscat.
70-80% boytrisized grapes. Has enough sugar content to be labeled 6 Puttonyos, though doesn’t follow the strict protocol and oak aging, and as a result is much easier to make.
207 g/l rs. 9.5% abv

2010 Aszu 6 Puttonyos
New wood and oak in general comes through on the nose and palate, though remains classy and complex. I got the impression this wine would live 50+ years easily. Not sure why I didn’t bring one home…it’s a regret. The 2010 vintage was so tough they lost 90% of their crop. This wine was limited to 28 cases in 2010.

Majoros Pinceszet

Family winery with a long history, it’s headed by Laszlo Majoros, who was nice enough to host us on a Sunday night. He is a younger man than Demeter, though his passion and energy for the region is infectious. I’ve never seen a winemaker more excited about what he is doing, and the small international successes he is receiving along the way. The winery, and most of the vineyards are located in Tarcal, which is only a few kilometers away from the town of Tokaj, and one of the better Tokaj villages from what I understand.
IMG_4852.JPG
2017 Furmint Deak
Free run juice, no pressing. Not finished with malo yet but full of energy.

2016 Furmint Deak
Finished wine, moderate lemon, good complexity, mineralite, good moderate finish.

2017 Muscat Blanc
Has a sweet honeysuckle nose, dry, saline palate. Clean and precise. Just like Viognier with the sweet promise of the nose, then going full matador with the dry palate. Doing well in the British market, should work with oysters.

2016 Harslevelu Agyag (deep clay)
On the leaner side, as the 12.5% abv implies. Waxy lemon, mineral, good moderate sustain on the finish with subtle spice. 100% stainless, free run juice, 1.9 g/l RS…just a little riper and some oak might be fun to try. I hear 2017 is just that, though higher yields.

2015 Tokaji Furmint Deak
Also leaner in nature, classic underripe peach, quince, and almond. Neutral oak, very hard to pick up. Good moderate+ sustain on the finish. 12% Abv, 2.7 g/l RS.

2015 Furmint Agyag "Major"
Production is 3 or 4 barrels, 1 is new.
Likes to use the same barrels from oak trees from the zamplani mountain. 1.1 g/l RS
Definitely more puckering and some noticeable oak here, but not too much. Rather nice and solid complexity.

2011 Furmint Deak
More vanilla on the nose, 4 years in oak. Bigger almond impressions, mineralite. More oxidized, accessible style. 11.5 Abv, 1.3 g/l RS.

2013 Birtokbar (50/50 Furmint - Harslevelu)
Have to say Laszlo did a masterful job setting us up for this, having tasted the 100% mono-varieties in a row, and then, by the way, here’s a 50/50 blend from a favorable vintage. Well, it worked. The wine was awesome, the way these two grapes go together is nothing short of Romeo & Juliet (why am I forgetting the term for this?). Anyhow, the wine really encapsulated the Furmint/Harslevelu mix…it was almost as riveting as the 2008 Aszu, which is freaking iconic. These are wines that should’ve sold out many years ago…

Laszlo showed us the entire lineup from dry to sweet, culminating with the 2008 Aszu 6 puttonyos which was iconic. It was the Musigny to the softer 2013 6 Puttonyos Les Amoureuses. Had to take some of each home, but not nearly enough.
IMG_4933.JPG
Bott Pince

Judit Bott has made quite a name for herself over the last decade or so, establishing her winery in 2005 with her husband. Blue Danube has done well to promote her wines in the states, but I believe it’s her good natured attitude and work ethic that have helped. She showed up to our hotel in her truck, ready to lead us up into the vineyards where they have a small weekend house and tasting room set up among some of their vineyards, and just below the Csontos vineyard that she uses to make some of her wines. In total they hold about 7 hectares.
IMG_4903.JPG
2017 Tarcal ~70% Furmint/ 30% Harslevelu
Very mineral, mixed semi-sweet apples on the nose. Harslevelu hits on the palate. Very elegant and restrained, alcohol well integrated. Even, medium finish. Tarcal is one of the nearest villages to the town of Tokaj.

2017 Teleki ~70% Furmint/ 30% Harslevelu
Slightly drier, more stone fruit and mineral. Finish carries on a bit longer. Beautiful wine, very restrained but not lacking fruit. Classy wine, with no perceptible alcohol or oak. Only one 300L used barrel of this.

2017 Harslevelu Kulcsar (very volcanic soil)
Very shy nose. However, the palate is much more elegant than I recall from prior experience with Bott Harslevelu, with great minerality and restrained fruit. Nice medium finish. No alcohol perceptible. So good. I’d be buying but not for sale yet. 2 weeks in bottle. ~3 barrels, all used. ~800 bottles produced.

2017 Hatari Harslevelu
A bit more dilute, a little bit less of everything as compared to the Kulcsar, but still nice and elegant with a good moderate finish.

As the wines were just recently bottled, they haven’t been sent out for lab work, so no residual sugar or abv %'s yet.

2016 Exczellenczias Harslevelu/Furmint blend
Giving nice aromas of semi-sweet apples, honeydew. A little more fruit on the palate, slightly higher alcohol perhaps though balance is still good. Nice mineral showing on the finish.
13.5% abv

2016 A Harom Gracia
Collaboration of Bott and two other female winemakers. Medium low acid, easy drinker though meant as more of a fun table wine.
80 g/l rs.

2016 Bott-Rytis
From neighbors Csontos fruit.
Beautiful nose…Apricot, honey, white flowers.
Such a rounded palate, the sweetness doesn’t hit too hard, it caresses. Very luscious, sensual wine. My favorite of the sweet wines, had to take some home. 104 g/l muscat/furmint

2013 Tokaji Aszu 6 Puttonyos
Complex Apricot/honey/petrol nose. Could smell this one for days. Higher viscosity, as the sugar reads on paper, it saturates the palate and is just a bit beyond my tolerance of sweetness.
243 g/l rs. 10% abv

You visited two of the best small producers. Top notch wines. And they did some nice tastings with you!

Excellent report about a region we don’t often hear a lot about. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

Blue Danube is doing some nice things with Hungarian wines. Frank has a great portfolio. We’re tasting some of those tomorrow.
Tom

Thanks for the info!

All went great, and though would’ve liked to haul back more wine I’ll be increasing the Tokaj portion of my cellar by over 1000%

I was at one of those bacon grilling parties yesterday and there was a guy there who grew up in Tokaj and knows the Szepsy family well. May have the connect for next time!

Thanks Kyle, it’s been not so tough work ; )

Thank god for them, else we’d hardly have access to any of these wines. Apparently Eric plays a role too as Bott and Annette from Demeter were talking about Eric as their Blue Danube contact.

Just met with Matt and Charine from Exotic Wine Travel yesterday…they are also doing great things to promote these forgotten European regions. Not on the import side, but they have a couple books out, all self funded practically.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I visited the area last fall and was fortunate enough to make it to both Bott and Demeter Zoltan. And yeah, the hospitality shown by Judit was absolutely incredible. She actually ended up racing us back into town to get to our tasting with Zoltan. I wasn’t familiar with the Majoros Pinceszet, but will attempt to track some down after reading your report. Might need to start planning another trip…

Cool thread. The only dry Hungarian wine I’ve had is from Kiràlyudvar. It’s quite good, brought in by the Rare Wine Co. and owned by the Hwangs (owners of Domaine Huet). I would try others, but I don’t see them.

Found the same with Judit, she’s very personable and great fun. Her 17’ dry wines I’ll definitely be buying, though the wait may be a year or so. Majoros is fun, and worth going for the 2008 Aszu alone.

Watched the soccer game with some friends last night and there was a really plugged in restaurenteur who showed us this Abraham Pince dry Furmint, 2013 Koleves Szaraz Furmint it was almost like a sour wine, but completely awesome. Limited production, and one to seek out.
IMG_5004.PNG

You can find some more through the importer Blue Danube, though they are based in LA and not exactly shipping season. Bott’s 16’s would be worth a try, or just wait for 17’s…it’s an epic vintage.

Blue Danube is actually based in LosAltos, up near San Jose in the SouthBay area.

Both Blue Danube and Winemonger are one of the few importers who do DTC sales, which is a huge plus.
Tom

Both Blue Danube and Winemonger are > one > of the few

And in this shape-shifting universe, you sometimes get your wine before you do.

Nice notes.

Bruce

The only dry Hungarian wine I’ve had is from Kiràlyudvar. It’s quite good, brought in by the Rare Wine Co. and owned by the Hwangs (owners of Domaine Huet). I would try others, but I don’t see them.

David - Demeter made those wines in the early years, with some consultation by Szepsy, who left fairly soon. Demeter eventually followed. Some of those wines were pretty good but they had real problems with oxidation. Demeter’s own wines are vastly superior. Or were - it’s been a few years since I tried the others. Hungarians being the way they are, some speculated that the wines were deliberately compromised to favor the French wines. That’s preposterous and I was stupefied the first time I heard it. I don’t believe it for a minute, but it did indicate that there was a problem. I hope they’ve corrected it in more recent years.

Duuude! That was epic, thanks for the share!