Sediment patterns in bottles

We’ve all seen sediment that adheres to the inside of bottles after pouring out the wine. However, I’m curious as to what may have caused the particular pattern in the attached photo. Instead of just roughly collecting and adhering along the side of the bottle that was closest to the “bottom” in its storage position, this particular bottle of wine (a K Vintners Syrah) had some interesting patterns of with clear linear edges to them. I’m guessing that prior to pouring out the wine, the sediment in this bottle may have covered a greater surface area, but for some reason when poured out, some of it adhered to the bottle with a number of linear edges.

Any idea of the science behind what caused the adhesion of the sediment to the bottle in this specific manner?
Wine-Bottle-Sediment-Pattern.jpg

To me, it looks like the bottle took some sort of shock, causing the typical oval shape pattern to break.

Ditto what Michael said. No way the sediment settled that way. Or maybe you need an exorcist.

Signals from the future. Definitely signals from the future.

My daughter in law says it’s Chinese for “Stupid American with First World problem while we conquer the rest of the world.”

From Wikipedia: “Tasseography (also known as tasseomancy or tassology) is a divination or fortune-telling method that interprets patterns in tea leaves, coffee grounds, or wine sediments.”
If you flip your photo 180 degrees, I see a hippopotamus at the bottom left, head butting a building. As the building disintegrates, the man in the upper shoulder of the bottle, lying in bed with his knees bent and his feet at the foot board, is falling with his bed into a fault caused by said hippo. It’s not the science you were asking for, but you might want to keep an eye out for large, aggressive semiaquatic mammals in your neighborhood.

Cheers,
Warren
Wine sediment.png

Stored on side, some ‘plate like’ motion with pouring, perhaps a transport phenomenon.

That sediment pattern is called the “laughing crocodile” pattern. It is an auspicious sign!

Who needs tea leaves‽

++1

It’s devils spawn.

Lol!

You missed the silhouette of California. That’s where the fault was created by the hippo.

I had a sediment pattern once that was clearly Jesus petting a dinosaur. In an amphora.

Thank you all for the replies and, um… insights. I knew I was missing something but I wasn’t quite sure what. Although I’ve heard of “reading the tea leaves” I hadn’t heard of tasseography as a term, nor that some studiously apply it to wine sediment. I was angling for more of a scientific explanation, for which I think Anton’s “plate like” motion explanation combined with some minor triggering shock seems the most plausible, but clearly I’ve uncovered some other latent talents of the board.

I might have said I’ll sleep better with this mystery slightly more illuminated, but based on the warnings expressed, both earthly and otherwise, perhaps I should not.

It’s the grim.

It’s very common for syrah in particular to throw a crust of sediment (on the side if it’s been stored on its side; on the bottom if it’s been stored upright). And, as Michael says, it looks like it’s been broken up; it wasn’t that shape originally. Depending on how hard the crust was, I could imagine that possibly happening with pouring/decanting.But I’d guess a good tap on the side of the neck could have done it, too.